Two wheel drive electric bike

• Thread starter Deleted member 17881
  • Start date

Is two motors for back, front wheel better than rear motor costing as much as two motors?

• Total voters
D

Deleted member 17881

Hello all,

My idea is to make a two wheel drive electric bike. The first motor is on the rear wheel and the second motor is on the front wheel to give both wheels electric power to cycle. When the connection between the two motors is made, this should power the back and front wheel together, giving more stability and better driving at all speeds. Can you buy two motors to fit on the back and front wheel to work together for a electric bike?

Thanks for your helpful information to allow future readers to make better lives. Have a nice day and enjoy your reading life.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
All pedelecs with a front motor are already two wheel drive.

D

Deleted member 17881

Hello anotherkiwi,

You write in your helpful post to answer my question that,"
All pedelecs with a front motor are already two wheel drive.
". Where is your link please to show the pedelecs bike with front motor that is two wheel drive?

Thanks for your further help to show important information about the two wheel drive bike.

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Hi,

The rear wheel drive is the rider's effort through the pedals and drive train.

Two motor bikes have been done many times before, unless you need huge power they are too complicated to consider practically.

Regards David

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: LeighPing

Alan Quay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 4, 2012
Devon
What he means is that a bike with a hub motor at the front, and pedal power to the rear wheel is already 2 wheel drive.

Electric motor in the front, and one in the back has been done before, but it depends exactly on what you are trying to achieve as to what is 'better'.

Two motors is more complex. You will need two controllers for sure, and a large enough battery to supply the current. It may be possible to share the same throttle/PAS signal between the two controllers. It will almost certainly work out more costly.

If its just for an everyday ride, I suggest one bigger motor is the way to go.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Motor on front wheel, pedal power to rear wheel = two wheel drive, both wheels receive driving power.

arrgh beaten to the post.

Two electric motors are only useful off road in very difficult conditions IMVHO.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
d8veh has built a 2 wheel bike he used 2 Q100'S each having a separate controller wired to the same battery source. Using the search forums you should find links to his custom bespoke built Rocky Mountain Mtb.

Looks like flecc beat me to it.

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
d8veh has built a 2 wheel bike he used 2 Q100'S each having a separate controller wired to the same battery source. Using the search forums you should find links to his custom bespoke built Rocky Mountain Mtb.
I posted it just above you Neal, our posts must have crossed.

• Agree
Reactions: Nealh

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
You have to doff you cap to d8veh, he builds a quality good looking bike.

• Agree
Reactions: flecc and KirstinS
D

Deleted member 17881

Thanks for everyone for your good advice and information. A more lengthy reply with my thoughts on each options for electric bike with two motors or more is going to come on here within the next few days.

Just have another question: How do I join two bike wheels together to make one big tyre? I think the super car, Bugattie Veyron does join two car wheels together. I see in Halfords store a mountain bike that got wide tyres. The tyres are almost as wide my as two tyres joined together. This will also benefit my bike riding as I have more grip, able to turn better and have more stability at higher and all speeds.

How to make metal tyre shape

From watching How It's Made on television last night, should have been sleeping, there in use in factory is industrial metal tubing. Coming in straight shape first, a hollow slot in middle for tubes to go in. After, looking closer, the two circle sides are high. It is bendable using a machine to make circle tyre share. Then, coating goes on to remove dust and make the metal smooth. Next, a machine just on surface of tyre when flat, cuts a bit into the metal about half way to make a thinner edge on the circle for the brakes. Using a drill, the worker measure out even holes for the spokes. Then, uses a magnet to pull through the threaded bit for the spokes. The worker puts on spokes fitting flat in place in the hub. Attaching the spokes by using thread onto other end of tyre and twists all threads to secure the spokes in place.

Last edited:

Alan Quay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 4, 2012
Devon
Thanks for everyone for your good advice and information. A more lengthy reply with my thoughts on each options for electric bike with two motors or more is going to come on here within the next few days.

Just have another question: How do I join two bike wheels together to make one big tyre? I think the super car, Bugattie Veyron does join two car wheels together. I see in Halfords store in Blackwood that comes in Caerphilly county, a mountain bike that got wide tyres. The tyres are almost as wide my as two tyres joined together. This will also benefit my bike riding as I have more grip, able to turn better and have more stability at higher and all speeds.

How to make metal tyre shape

From watching How It's Made on television last night, should have been sleeping, there in use in factory is industrial metal tubing. Coming in straight shape first, a hollow slot in middle for tubes to go in. After, looking closer, the two circle sides are high. It is bendable using a machine to make circle tyre share. Then, coating goes on to remove dust and make the metal smooth. Next, a machine just on surface of tyre when flat, cuts a bit into the metal about half way to make a thinner edge on the circle for the brakes.
It's not too hard on a car, as the wheels are only attached to one end of the axle. You can easily put one on the normal way, and another on backwards if you have longer bolts.

On a bike, the axle is attached both sides of the hub. If you want two in there, you'll need a bigger frame.

...or buy a fat bike to start with

Alternatively, most mountain bikes can go up to 2.5" tyres, which is getting on toward a fat bike.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Malooq Tariq Omar

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
There is one minor issue. The two wheel drive is only for personal fun. The law excludes twin motors. And with legal limits a single motor is fine anyway.
I also agree with the buy a fat bike anyway. Making your own wheel will be very difficult. To get a strong safe and light fast wheel isn't easy.
And if it did fail it could be really sore.

Reactions: Malooq Tariq Omar
D

Deleted member 17881

There is one minor issue. The two wheel drive is only for personal fun. The law excludes twin motors. And with legal limits a single motor is fine anyway.
I also agree with the buy a fat bike anyway. Making your own wheel will be very difficult. To get a strong safe and light fast wheel isn't easy.
And if it did fail it could be really sore.
You mention in your post in your third sentence that, "The law excludes twin motors.".

Where does the law say that two motors on a electric bike is not allowable please?

250 Watt electric bike laws and over 250 Watt over electric bike laws

This is important as reading about electrical bike laws on here, the link is: http://www.pedelecs.co.uk/electric-bike-guides/uk-electric-bike-law/. On there, under the sub heading, "High power e-bikes/ Speed pedelecs", the information says 250 Watts motors are legal in the United Kingdom. However, motors that are over 250 Watts now is a motor vehicle, meaning you need to show the tax disc, insurance and vehicle registration. Also, you have to get a number plate to put on your bike and on your person have a MOT certificate. By displaying and carrying your MOT certificate, tax disc insurance, vehicle registration, you are able to drive your electric bike safely by following the law to not get your bike taken away. When you do not have with you on your electric bike a MOT certificate, tax disc insurance, vehicle registration, you do get points on your licence on your driving licence.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
Have you tried to register your e-bike? it's possible but not easy.
If you want to make just one for yourself, then fine, but start with a crank drive kit then add a front wheel kit to it. The crank drive has built-in PAS. You can drive the front kit with thumb throttle.

D

Deleted member 17881

Have you tried to register your e-bike? it's possible but not easy.
If you want to make just one for yourself, then fine, but start with a crank drive kit then add a front wheel kit to it. The crank drive has built-in PAS. You can drive the front kit with thumb throttle.
Hello,

I do not have a e-bike, I am thinking of making my own e-bike. I have mountain bike from Railegh, Max Pro, 21 speed, 7 gears made in 1990s. How do you register e-bikes please? I need to find out more information on how to register e-bikes as I do not know how to register e-bikes at the moment. What is a crank drive, front wheel kit and built in PAS please?