UK petition to raise cut-off limit

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
the police are not interested i have even tried to get them to chase me and there just not going to do jack unless you kill someone.

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
the police are not interested i have even tried to get them to chase me and there just not going to do jack unless you kill someone.
Its matter of time before that happens. Just matter of statistics as more and more illegal ebikes bikes hit the road every year

However, I still think you are bang on correct. The fact that a girl died on an e scooter (not the vespa type but the electric kick scooter type).....and precisely nothing has been done to enforce the law anywhere. Thse things are not a bit illegal but totally and utterly on any possible level

Brighton is full of them, London is full of them. Not aware of folk even getting a smack on the wrist !

• Agree
Reactions: flecc
D

Deleted member 25121

Its matter of time before that happens. Just matter of statistics as more and more illegal ebikes bikes hit the road every year

However, I still think you are bang on correct. The fact that a girl died on an e scooter (not the vespa type but the electric kick scooter type).....and precisely nothing has been done to enforce the law anywhere. Thse things are not a bit illegal but totally and utterly on any possible level

Brighton is full of them, London is full of them. Not aware of folk even getting a smack on the wrist !
There was some police activity in London after the accident:
I don't know whether this continued though

Reactions: KirstinS

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
The Government decided we don't need so many police and we're seeing the consequences.....
Let's stop now before this becomes the Brexit thread!

But yep, could nt agree more. And I work with colleagues who are 50% ex police. Forced out one way or another due to relentless cuts

• Agree
Reactions: ebiker99

Perseus

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 15, 2015
Problem is vehicles drivers can't anticipate speed very well especially a bicycle travelling at speed exception may be a lycra lout. I have my assist set to 20mph and a lot of cars just can't anticipate /judge my speed as I approach junctions, the main issue here is they are not willing to give way as driving styles gets worse.
I try and keep eye contact as I negotiate junctions and always have my brakes covered in readiness to stop or slow down.
I would like the limit increased to 18 mph and the speed limit on paths set at 15 mph. I rarely use my brakes in small town traffic. Need them when it gets busier in bigger towns and on paths at weekends.

Last edited:

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
I don't really understand your final point about 480kph cars?
Nobody needs a road car that can go that fast and the owner will be trusted to respect the road code. Pedelecs are physically limited, the rider isn't trusted to respect 25 kph cut off on his own. Kind of a double standard was my point.

On my very short commute I average 22.7 kph. My top speed is in the low 40s and there are a couple of slopes where I struggle to top 18 kph, 25 kph average I can only dream of...

RossG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2019
Bit off topic but, Husain Bolt can run at 28mph...thought I'd just throw that in.

Ja_T

Finding my (electric) wheels
May 24, 2018
At the end of the day ebikes are a much more cost-effective way of commuting to work without sweating and stinking when you get there. It is a growing market, roads will be safer with more bikes and less cars (your much less likely to kill someone at 30 mph on a 20-30kg bike than a 1500kg car) obviously the laws need updating with new classes of vehicle, new mot's and safety laws etc. I agree the 15 mph limit is fine for vehicles classed as bicycles for riding on pavements and cycle paths but speed pedelecs will take off, personally as I said before I'm happy riding in the road and paying insurance. This petition is pointless, it's more classes of ebike we need and rules that make them easier to type approve but maintain safety with mot checks and age limits etc.

youngoldbloke

Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2018
South West
Nobody needs a road car that can go that fast and the owner will be trusted to respect the road code. Pedelecs are physically limited, the rider isn't trusted to respect 25 kph cut off on his own. Kind of a double standard was my point.

On my very short commute I average 22.7 kph. My top speed is in the low 40s and there are a couple of slopes where I struggle to top 18 kph, 25 kph average I can only dream of...
OK - but pedelecs are only limited in assisted speed, otherwise the only limit is in the rider - just like an unassisted bike, and the rider of both is expected to 'respect the road code', as you say. Even if the assisted limit was raised to 30 kph your commute may not become that much quicker as you already spend some time above that level under leg power alone, and a higher assisted cut off won't help on those 18kph slopes either.

anonymous

Pedelecer
Nov 19, 2019
Just found this after doing some Googling around the laws (ie if they'll ever change) This is my take on it

Door to door, from my (home) town into the nearest city, it's 1 hour.

You spend time walking down, waiting at the station, getting a train there, and walking some more. The actual train journey is just 26 minutes. This is 18 miles away

It'd mean that you could in theory get to work in the same time on a bike, without having to use public transport, without costing so much, and without tiring yourself out as much. You don't need to go to the gym after work because you've just spent two hours doing "light exercise" Ideally, it'd mean people wouldn't then drive into work, or even use the trains spreading illnesses when they could arrive on personal pedal assisted power. They're also not so tired after work that they simply don't have the energy to go to the gym either. If they're parents this also means more times with kids

Currently my workplace is 13 miles away, so I get there under the hour however this would allow someone to live a train journey away, and still arrive quicker than someone who uses the trains!

nigelbb

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2019
I know I may be in a minority on here but I think the 15.5 limit is OK. On flat roads I generally ride at about 17-18 mph but I don't think greater assistance is needed.

Probably just me.
Not just you. I too think a 15.5mph limit is absolutely fine & as flecc has pointed out there already is a legal route available for all those who want to ride a faster e-bike.

Reactions: flecc and sjpt

anonymous

Pedelecer
Nov 19, 2019
Not just you. I too think a 15.5mph limit is absolutely fine & as flecc has pointed out there already is a legal route available for all those who want to ride a faster e-bike.
They have to get their CBT first however but yes there is a route. Personally I think that instead of a CBT licence there should be a separate ebike licence given that even on the slightly faster ones they don't exactly perform like a motorbike

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
They have to get their CBT first however but yes there is a route. Personally I think that instead of a CBT licence there should be a separate ebike licence given that even on the slightly faster ones they don't exactly perform like a motorbike

There are three driving licence categories relating to moped class e-bikes:

Category AM

You can drive 2-wheeled or 3-wheeled vehicles with a maximum design speed of over 25km/h (15.5mph) but not more than 45km/h (28mph).

This category also includes light quad bikes with:
  • unladen mass of not more than 350kg (not including batteries if it’s an electric vehicle)
  • maximum design speed of over 25km/h (15.5mph) but not more than 45km/h (28mph)

Category P

You can drive 2-wheeled vehicles with a maximum design speed of over 45km/h (28mph) but not more than 50km/h (31mph).

Its engine size must not be more than 50cc if powered by an internal combustion engine.

Category Q

You can drive 2-wheeled and 3-wheeled vehicles without pedals with:
  • an engine size not more than 50cc if powered by an internal combustion engine
  • a maximum design speed of no more than 25km/h (15.5mph)
With pedal control of power is of course the driving licence exempt pedelec class.

Reactions: anonymous

Chris M

Pedelecer
Dec 31, 2018
And as pretty much anyone who has passed any driving test at all gets these categories most people can legally ride an electric moped (which is the legal definition of a deresicted ebike) so there is no problem here. All anyone has to do is get a registration number and insure it. Oh and keep off trails that aren't BOATs. Absolutely no justification for a change in the law. Maybe there is a need to make it very easy to register and insure deristriced bikes , then those riding them have no excuse for breaking the law.

Reactions: Michael Price