Upgrade to BBSHD?

paulc1976

Pedelecer
May 22, 2014
UUGH that stock ring....or is it a manhole cover?.i didnt even un pack it.ordered e cycles 42t lekkie copy with the kit. be interesting what mpg figures u get. I think u be supprised how far it goes on WOT. See nealh s comment .
I have had a really busy week at work so haven't had time to give the bike a proper run and test its range...
I have swapped over the chain ring to the Lekkie and it does have a bit more torque up hills now and no chain issues. Also fitted the gear sensor which should protect the chain and cassette a bit. I did notice that going from the 46T to 42T has knocked about 5 mph off top speed. I can't really get it above 32/33 mph on the flat, in reality, that's more than quick enough anyway.

It's a pity you can't fit a dual or triple chainring on the front and be able to switch between them when required.

rilot

Pedelecer
Jul 16, 2017
Wargrave, UK
It's a pity you can't fit a dual or triple chainring on the front and be able to switch between them when required.
Do what I did and fit a Sturmey-Archer CS-RK3 3-speed cassette hub. It gives you -33%/0/+33% ratios and you retain your cassette gears. I have no problem hitting 60kph on the flat but more importantly it's made the cadence sensible for high-speed cruising.

paulc1976

Pedelecer
May 22, 2014
Do what I did and fit a Sturmey-Archer CS-RK3 3-speed cassette hub. It gives you -33%/0/+33% ratios and you retain your cassette gears. I have no problem hitting 60kph on the flat but more importantly it's made the cadence sensible for high-speed cruising.
Thanks rilot, that sounds like an interesting solution. Does it just slot into the back wheel? I not a good DIY person so would not want to build a wheel for it.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
I have had a really busy week at work so haven't had time to give the bike a proper run and test its range...
I have swapped over the chain ring to the Lekkie and it does have a bit more torque up hills now and no chain issues. Also fitted the gear sensor which should protect the chain and cassette a bit. I did notice that going from the 46T to 42T has knocked about 5 mph off top speed. I can't really get it above 32/33 mph on the flat, in reality, that's more than quick enough anyway.

You can:

http://precialps.com/uk/accueil/28-adaptateur-de-plateaux-130bcd-bafanag-bbshd.html

paulc1976

Pedelecer
May 22, 2014
Thanks for the replies guys. A couple of questions:

I assume the sturmey archer cassette hub would require a custom wheel?

The double chainring solution looks quite good, I would need a front derailleur shifter added to the bike to make this work? I removed the original front derailleurs when I converted it to electric. Also would this work with the bling ring I have already purchased?

wheeliepete

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2016
Devon
Fitting the Sturmey Archer hub will require a new set of spokes, around £15 and the wheel re-lacing and truing. The double chainring adapter will replace your bling ring and the refitting of your front derailleur.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
You will need to move your derailleur out quite a bit, there are adaptors from problem solvers that will work.

rilot

Pedelecer
Jul 16, 2017
Wargrave, UK
Surely that double chainring adapter is going to seriously mess up the chainline? It doesn't look very dished.

And yes, the geared hub requires having a wheel built. I did it myself and it wasn't so hard. Just took a long time. I had to re-true it after 50 miles but it's holding true now.
Your local bike shop can build you a wheel for not a lot of cash.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Not dished enough I guess but it makes you use your gears like you should be doing. I have a 2 x 7:

- all 7 gears are usable from the small chainwheel
- the top 4 gears are available for the big one

This works really well, on the road with a HD you will only ever need to be in the top 4 gears and you have a full range for off road. I would suggest a wide range 11-40 cassette.

mephisto

Finding my (electric) wheels
Aug 23, 2018
hey guys, how was your experience with electroncycles? I'm planning to get a BBSHD and battery and their prices and specs seems good.

rilot

Pedelecer
Jul 16, 2017
Wargrave, UK
I bought mine from there. It arrived next day and I’ve no complaints. It was a good price for everything if you’re looking for a kit with the gear sensor and hydraulic brake cutouts included.

tommie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 13, 2013
Co. Down, N. Ireland, U.K.
hey guys, how was your experience with electroncycles? I'm planning to get a BBSHD and battery and their prices and specs seems good.
a touch pricey at £625

I went EUNORAU at £519 + FedEx Duty £27, around ten days delivery

and good Panasonic GA 17.5 aH Battery from Jim @ Insat four hundred and something,

but, hey if you`re in a hurry...

mephisto

Finding my (electric) wheels
Aug 23, 2018
not in a hurry, I'm considering em3ev as well as I can get 52v batteries with samsung 30Q

I'm making a short list now with all suppliers, I've seen there is a new display DCP18, may be worth an upgrade

minexplorer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 22, 2017
Four Lanes,Cornwall
you prob better off with 30Q. Its hard with the bbshd to resist the temptation to use full power for extended periods.Not just bursts .As i understand .The ga cells in a 5 parallel will be delivering 6amps in that case.while being rated at 5amp continous 10amp for short bursts. 30Q s rated approx 7.5amp continous 15amp bursts.So less battery stress.Ive noted the 30Q s barely get warm even after several miles on 30amps doing 30 odd mph. Or 2 mile hill climbs pushing 20mph on a t15 cog.

Reactions: mephisto

rilot

Pedelecer
Jul 16, 2017
Wargrave, UK
30q for sure. My 14s5p pack doesn’t even get warm after a 1 mile hill climb.

Reactions: mephisto

Deus

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 18, 2014
Dewsbury
Hows the Sturmey-Archer CS-RK3 holding up with the BBSHD ?

rilot

Pedelecer
Jul 16, 2017
Wargrave, UK
Hows the Sturmey-Archer CS-RK3 holding up with the BBSHD ?
It's still fine after a few thousand miles. Gives me all the ratios I need with the 9-speed on the back. Biggest cog and lowest gear on the Sturmey is enough to lift the front wheel off the throttle and climb the steepest inclines. Smallest gear and highest on the Sturmey is enough to hit 45kph on the flat.

Deus

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 18, 2014
Dewsbury
It's still fine after a few thousand miles. Gives me all the ratios I need with the 9-speed on the back. Biggest cog and lowest gear on the Sturmey is enough to lift the front wheel off the throttle and climb the steepest inclines. Smallest gear and highest on the Sturmey is enough to hit 45kph on the flat.
How do you shift the hub gears did you get a sensor for the shifter? do you shift under load ?