Was EddieO right?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I assume that wasn’t conversations? I thought that was the only messages facility.
This occurred in the previous forum software John, before the present hosting.

As remarked above, I didn't even know that particular public conversation area existed and, no doubt like many, I never found it, so I wasn't surprised at their mistake in thinking it private.

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
Its easy to slip away from private messaging to the published forum. I answered a quite heated debate about derailleur gears combined with crank drive thinking I was discussing privately, it became public by mistake.
Although it was quite heated,no party was rude.
Once it was out in the open I thought I might as well be hung for a sheep as a lamb.
KudosDave

Reactions: flecc

selrahc1992

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 10, 2014
This occurred in the previous forum software John, before the present hosting.

As remarked above, I didn't even know that particular public conversation area existed and, no doubt like many, I never found it, so I wasn't surprised at their mistake in thinking it private.
had cancelation at work just now, spent five mins looking and found this
http://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/threads/best-folding-e-bike.11439/page-3#post-141831
tricky really, wouldnt want to wash up on a desert island with any of the participants, but i'm quite neurotic and fairly averse to conflict

Electrifying Cycles

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 4, 2011
Perhaps Eddio was the Clarkson of the forum. Do not think you would get 500,000 signatures to bring him back though.

DW

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
had cancelation at work just now, spent five mins looking and found this
http://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/threads/best-folding-e-bike.11439/page-3#post-141831
tricky really, wouldnt want to wash up on a desert island with any of the participants, but i'm quite neurotic and fairly averse to conflict
eddieo subsequently bought the AVE MH7 like he set out to. A year later, AVE went into receivership and his wife's MH7 went on ebay.
Hatti was still lugging SLA batteries while starting selling the Gale at that time. Three years on, Woosh still have a couple of SLA batteries, the Gale has not changed a bit other than the tyres are now puncture resistant. It was quite good at the time (March 2012) and still is.

Last edited:

selrahc1992

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 10, 2014
eddieo subsequently bought the AVE MH7 like he set out to. A year later, AVE went into receivership and his wife's MH7 went on ebay.
Hatti was still lugging SLA batteries while starting selling the Gale at that time. Three years on, Woosh still have a couple of SLA batteries, the Gale has not changed a bit other than the tyres are now puncture resistant. It was quite good at the time (March 2012) and still is.
apologies for hijacking, and lets not do an eddieo ; ^), but wot a weird beast..there's an ave mh7 on oxford gumtree for £500 (£2000 new few years back), if it werent for serious issues with bosch on forum, and that i'm building a 2kw raleigh 20 i'd be interested

selrahc1992

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 10, 2014
apologies for hijacking, and lets not do an eddieo ; ^), but wot a weird beast..there's an ave mh7 on oxford gumtree for £500 (£2000 new few years back), if it werent for serious issues with bosch on forum, and that i'm building a 2kw raleigh 20 i'd be interested
to clarify, meant the ave mh7 is a weird beast

Reactions: Fordulike and flecc

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
He put me off buying into the BH bikes by commenting on the low spec parts on a bike in that price bracket.

Having read the woes of some members with these bikes I will be eternally grateful to EddieO.
It was via searching e-bikes that I found EddieO's remarks about BH and also this forum.

I read the remarks, absorbed them, then instantly did the opposite and bought one. If only I'd listened to the sound advice being given. :(

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Yes, EddieO did have a good handle on e-bike quality. His very direct manner of posting some found unduly abrasive, but his views on e-bikes were well worth consideration.

Reactions: EddiePJ

oldtom

Esteemed Pedelecer
The other chap was Indalo, banned at the same time.

Here's a thread about that, a 7 page fun read for Friday the 13th. :confused:
After perusing those 7 pages again, which I remember reading before ever actually becoming a member of the forum, I was reminded just how much humour occurs at times, even in disagreeable situations like the alleged behaviour problems and subsequent expulsions of two frequent posters.

I thought Jeremy was an absolute star, taking great exception to the manner in which the infringements had been dealt with. Jeremy was one of the first members whose posts I read avidly. He is highly intelligent and very articulate as well as being an experienced 'forumite' in more than one sphere of activity.

Tillson who, like Jeremy, is erudite, injected quite a bit of humour as did several others but, possibly like many readers, I'm at a loss to understand why the pair were expelled permanently. It's difficult for me to grasp how outrageous someone has to be on an internet forum to merit suspension or expulsion sine die. Did they kill a fellow member or something?

Although I read the forum regularly when all this was going on, I really don't remember any particular nastiness apart from a bit of childish name-calling which is something that occurs on lots of forums. If it was to do with criticism of a merchant or his product, then I just see that as something that goes with the territory. Members applaud openly the good service provided by most dealers who use the forum but those dealers have to be prepared for criticism where members feel it is due - it's all part and parcel of life in internet forums.

There were several bikes 'rubbished' by some elements of the membership but of course, others spoke up for the brand or model and some of the arguments were real giggle material.

The sad thing about the whole affair is that a few members did desist from posting after it all blew over, most notably, Jeremy who is a very principled chap. Around that time we also lost Frank, the guy who helped produce the grossly over-powered mopeds out at Banbury under the guise of ebikes. His machines could never be described as EAPCs according to any paradigm from Brussels or the DfT here in the UK but Frank is very knowledgeable and provided some insight into the world of illegal pedelecs without the need to wade through the murky waters of ES with its international collection of geeks and freaks.

Come to think of it, some of Frank's inventions wouldn't even have met the criteria for mopeds!

If those expelled members, EddieO and Indalo, still look in on these posts from time to time, I'll say Hi and hope all is well with them. I trust they are still flying the flag for EAPCs whenever they have the opportunity.

Tom

Old Timer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 5, 2009
I remember when I first joined, my first bike was a powertrek dynamo, as I remember eddie told me that I had been sold a pup and it was rubbish and then some time down the road the guy that started oxygen bikes said that he had had one and basically (as I remember) he fashioned his bike range on them and sure enough some years down the line the old powertrek is still going strong with a very quiet rear motor that is very light on battery life, it`s comfortable, easy to handle and has never let me down other than a puncture before i fitted Marathons. I wondered where he had gone!!!

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
to clarify, meant the ave mh7 is a weird beast
Sorry to divert this fascinating thread to ebkes, but, cough, splutter, as an MH7 owner I have to comment.

Weird seems an odd description, it's a balloon tyred 20" Bosch ebike - a fairly conservative design.

The smaller wheels do aid climbing, so with a rider able to input some power it will get up almost anything.

Comfort is good, as AVE point out the three points of contact - saddle, handlebars and pedals - are in the same place relative to each other as on a big wheeled bike.

No suspension fork and quality components make the MH7 lightish for an ebike.

Handling is good, the steering is direct rather than twitchy.

The tyres handle most surfaces well, although their size means care is needed over deep ruts.

Most - including mine - came with the smaller 8ah battery, which may be a limiting factor for some secondhand buyers.

I've done several 50+ mile rides on mine with no problem using the bigger batteries from my other Bosch bike.

The semi-fold means it will go in the back of a medium size hatchback.

Good for me, because it means I've been able to take a proper distance capable ebike to different locations for rides.

Second opinion from Croxden of this parish who tried my bike over a good few miles and was quite taken with it.

AVE are back in business and there's a new range of MH7s with the latest Bosch motor.

They are not widely sold in this country, probably because they are far from cheap.

http://translate.google.co.uk/translate?hl=en&sl=de&u=http://www.emotion-technologies.de/ebikes/ave/mh-mobility-pedelecs/&prev=search

selrahc1992

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 10, 2014
Sorry to divert this fascinating thread to ebkes, but, cough, splutter, as an MH7 owner I have to comment.

Weird seems an odd description, it's a balloon tyred 20" Bosch ebike - a fairly conservative design.

The smaller wheels do aid climbing, so with a rider able to input some power it will get up almost anything.

Comfort is good, as AVE point out the three points of contact - saddle, handlebars and pedals - are in the same place relative to each other as on a big wheeled bike.

No suspension fork and quality components make the MH7 lightish for an ebike.

Handling is good, the steering is direct rather than twitchy.

The tyres handle most surfaces well, although their size means care is needed over deep ruts.

Most - including mine - came with the smaller 8ah battery, which may be a limiting factor for some secondhand buyers.

I've done several 50+ mile rides on mine with no problem using the bigger batteries from my other Bosch bike.

The semi-fold means it will go in the back of a medium size hatchback.

Good for me, because it means I've been able to take a proper distance capable ebike to different locations for rides.

Second opinion from Croxden of this parish who tried my bike over a good few miles and was quite taken with it.

AVE are back in business and there's a new range of MH7s with the latest Bosch motor.

They are not widely sold in this country, probably because they are far from cheap.

http://translate.google.co.uk/translate?hl=en&sl=de&u=http://www.emotion-technologies.de/ebikes/ave/mh-mobility-pedelecs/&prev=search
Thanks for really informative review (meant weird beast complimentary,I'm building a BPM folding shopper)

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Thanks for really informative review (meant weird beast complimentary,I'm building a BPM folding shopper)
My MH7 has attracted some comments.

Of course, 99.99 per cent of people couldn't give a stuff what it looks like, but those that do take an interest seem to like it.

"Cheeky" is a word I've heard and it's often described as 'little' as in 'that's a nice little bike'.

Reactions: flecc

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
Even Eddie in exile gave us an enjoyable thread and some good natured banter....it certainly livened things up a bit,the forum had become a bit sterile. I wouldn't build a Kudos 'Fat Boy' tank,it's the opposite to what I am trying to achieve with these bikes but it did occur to me that we need some small volume 'niche' bikes to satisfy some special requirements.
KudosDave

shemozzle999

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 28, 2009
You can still follow his banter if you know where to look;)

Happily pursuing his interests on a non commercial site:)

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
...it certainly livened things up a bit,the forum had become a bit sterile.
KudosDave
not if you want to build your own bike.
The forum has never been so full of stories of self build.

billadie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2010
Tewkesbury
Good morning,whatever one's views on Eddie's style,he certainly made me stop and think about the design and weight of these e-bikes....I am sure Eddie would have approved of our Kudos Arriba,it was pretty close to Eddie's ideals. Actually the UK and Germany went down a similar design route but Holland is still comfortable with heavy,low powered e-bikes....one of my original suppliers still supplies 5000 plus e-bikes to Holland every year,their design and weight has not changed in 5 years,the Dutch appear to love them.
KudosDave
That could be because the Dutch ride them everyday on roads and probably do five to ten times greater mileage than UK riders. They expect their bikes to last years. The kind of bikes favoured on this forum seem to be more for sport than transport, and probably have a limited life.

Reactions: Kudoscycles

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
Commuting 100 miles a week. ( I like the scenic route)
Plus fun trips at weekend.
I want my bike to last.
And go fast too.

billadie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2010
Tewkesbury
Commuting 100 miles a week. ( I like the scenic route)
Plus fun trips at weekend.
I want my bike to last.
And go fast too.
Hope you enjoy the scenic route D8ve. My commute (Tewks to glos - 12 miles each way) is fairly scenic, if you ignore the dual carriageway bit.But I'm afraid my five year old Smarta is more Amsterdam, than Tour de F. But it gets there, never fails, except when i forget to charge it, and with mud guards, chainguard, mirror and a good upright position arrive fairly relaxed if not as quick as some - especially those (the majority, I regret to say) who have their bikes strapped to cars.

Reactions: D8ve