Where are Wisper Bikes Manufactured?

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
The question... Where are Wisper Bikes Built? comes up often. To be honest we has moved frequently over the last 16 years but now we have decided to settle in what we believe to be the best of all worlds.

Now we build all our bikes in Anadia PORTUGAL as they have been since late last year.

Before Portugal we built bikes in Taiwan, before Taiwan we built in the UK, before UK we built in China but that was a long time ago now. For a couple for years we built in Germany.

Why Portugal? Portugal is fast becoming the eBike centre of Europe with many top end marks being built there. Being in the heart of a massive and vibrant eBike community is both exciting and very useful when it comes to finding experienced labour and bike parts. We can get to Anadia in a morning from the UK if we need to and we now have permanent staff based there including our fantastic Claud who has moved his young family there.

We have a 20,000 sq foot self contained warehousing facility with parking for three 40 footers, a showroom and staff apartment all on the same site.

We don't build bikes ourselves but employ a long established massive Portuguese bike builder as our OEM partner, our warehousing facility is literally 50M from their despatch gates. Claud and at the moment bike expert and our National Sales Manager Jeremy are there on the production line managing and running the quality control.

Most importantly the wine is very good in the Dura Valley!

Happy days!

All the best, David

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
It all looks very nice David, well done on setting up the new facilities.

Barnsleyrob

Pedelecer
Jul 20, 2020
That looks like an impressive facility. Does it meet the EU regs on how much is made/built in the EU (which I dont think anybody understands and fewer can comply with) to avoid the additional taxes ?

Dope pedeller

Finding my (electric) wheels
Dec 26, 2020
Perhaps you could help me David. I ordered a Wisper 806 cadence bike in red through Electric Rider back in December based on a quoted delivery schedule of February 2021. They still haven’t got them in stock, claiming there is a hold up in deliveries from Wisper. Could you enlighten me on when you expect Wispers will be coming into the country? Thanks, Steve

Tim@Wisper

Trade Member
May 6, 2021
Perhaps you could help me David. I ordered a Wisper 806 cadence bike in red through Electric Rider back in December based on a quoted delivery schedule of February 2021. They still haven’t got them in stock, claiming there is a hold up in deliveries from Wisper. Could you enlighten me on when you expect Wispers will be coming into the country? Thanks, Steve
Hello,
Very sorry for the delay with your bike we have had a number of delays in production due to Covid . However you should now expect to receive your bike towards the end of this month.
All the best

Ocsid

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2017
Hampshire
I feel both the terms "manufactured" and "build" imply far more than the reality of the situation, which surely in this industry is better described as "assembled"?

Reactions: Woosh

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
Raleigh build their bikes in Nottingham! Wonderful place, lovely people, great bikes too!
I think (?) that's still just a very small proportion of Raleighs, after many years when none was assembled (let alone build) in Britain.

(?) I couldn't find out much detail in a search.

• Agree
Reactions: Stanebike and flecc

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I think (?) that's still just a very small proportion of Raleighs, after many years when none was assembled (let alone build) in Britain.

(?) I couldn't find out much detail in a search.
Indeed, it is only a small proportion of the bikes sold under the Raleigh name. The majority sold by English Raleigh are shipped out complete from the Far East,

There has been in any case many European Raleigh companies over time and an American Raleigh company whose bikes were at one time manufactured in Japan by Bridgestone. In addition to English Raleigh and Irish Raleigh there's the Dutch Raleigh company owned by the huge Accell cycle manufacturing group and the German Raleigh company owned by the German Derby Cycles gmbh which is in turn owned by the Dutch Pon Holdings vehicles group.

In a recent nutshell:

In 2000, German company Derby Cycle gmbh controlled Raleigh USA, Raleigh UK, Raleigh Canada, and Raleigh Ireland.

In 2012, Derby Cycle was acquired by Pon, a Dutch company, as part of their new bicycle group.

In April 2012, Raleigh UK, Canada and USA were acquired by the separate Dutch group Accell.

I'm afraid Raleigh is about as British as McDonalds and Coca Cola.

• Disagree
Reactions: budsy and Croxden

budsy

Banned
May 16, 2020
Its a sad day when something is developed in the UK ..but being built in a foreign country

cant Britain build from the UK also or is this coming out of the EU which seems

to have made a company from UK move ship ..this seems just another excuse from Wisper saying why they moved to Portugal ..Only reason they moved seems to me was to stay within the EU .

Im thinking all Scots are possibly well in the right wanting their Independence in which they shall get in time for sure ..and this also keeps them within the EU which makes dealings much easier .

Good move Wisper also though as does make things easier being within EU .

Brexiteers think again at the mess you have left the UK in and its only just beginning
for all our friends families within England , N Ireland and Wales and Scotland < for now .

Reactions: nigelbb

RoadieRoger

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2010
Its a sad day when something is developed in the UK ..but being built in a foreign country

cant Britain build from the UK also or is this coming out of the EU which seems

to have made a company from UK move ship ..this seems just another excuse from Wisper saying why they moved to Portugal ..Only reason they moved seems to me was to stay within the EU .

Im thinking all Scots are possibly well in the right wanting their Independence in which they shall get in time for sure ..and this also keeps them within the EU which makes dealings much easier .

Good move Wisper also though as does make things easier being within EU .

Brexiteers think again at the mess you have left the UK in and its only just beginning
for all our friends families within England , N Ireland and Wales and Scotland < for now .

MichaelM

Pedelecer
Nov 14, 2020
What's done can be undone, but it could take a long time and we'll almost certainly have lost NI & Scotland by then. Not in my lifetime I guess.

Meanwhile, sounds a sensible move from Wisper if the EU is a bigger market for them which seems likely. Much better for selling into the EU customs area?

budsy

Banned
May 16, 2020
Budsy , it`s done and dusted , get over it .
Get over it certainly have , although i just know England mainly voting to leave the EU
and im English saying such , but we have made a right mess of things
as Scotland who have much going for it are going to leave the UK once and for all
once they get the voting for Independence in which they certainly shall get
in a few yrs from now .

And then N ireland shall want to follow suit ..But Scotland in particular
has much going for it and its a guaranteee they are leaving the UK whenever they receive
the rights as a democratic country to vote, be it through the courts or not
and we in England only shall have ourselves to blame once we then look back at the damage
we have done to the UK as a whole .

RoadieRoger

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2010
Get over it certainly have , although i just know England mainly voting to leave the EU
and im English saying such , but we have made a right mess of things
as Scotland who have much going for it are going to leave the UK once and for all
once they get the voting for Independence in which they certainly shall get
in a few yrs from now .

And then N ireland shall want to follow suit ..But Scotland in particular
has much going for it and its a guaranteee they are leaving the UK whenever they receive
the rights as a democratic country to vote, be it through the courts or not
and we in England only shall have ourselves to blame once we then look back at the damage
we have done to the UK as a whole .
Budsy don`t punish yourself so much , you will still have Wales as they are not going anywhere , despite what the Daily Express predicts .

• :D
Reactions: budsy

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Westminster gave these smaller nations the means to set up local governments and running there own economies, in the long run independence will come as they get more used to self autonomy. If they wish to become an independent self supporting country bordering England then it will happen eventually, they need to be realistic though of how they will pay for it without Westminster.

• Disagree

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Westminster gave these smaller nations the means to set up local governments and running there own economies, in the long run independence will come as they get more used to self autonomy. If they wish to become an independent self supporting country bordering England then it will happen eventually, they need to be realistic though of how they will pay for it without Westminster.
How to pay for such as defence and international diplomacy are a particularly a problem for small nations, and land borders between countries can be a severe restriction on autonomy.

There are two alternative ways for Scotland and Wales, other than either the existing status or full independence.

Although unlikely, the first is to become Crown Dependencies like the Isle of Man and the Channel Isles. That means Britain looks after their defence and diplomacy free of charge out of the self interest of having friends who are often in close proximity, but in all other respects they are totally independent with their own parliaments and laws. It's an attractive option.

The second alternative is for Britain to federalise as a united nation (USB) in the style of the USA, Canada and Australia, with Scotland and Wales becoming British States. As in the model of those other federal nations, the States would have autonomy over internal matters with their own internal budget and taxation and have the power to overrule federal laws on their internal matters**. They would pay a low level of national taxation for defence, diplomacy and national assistance if and when required.

** For example, the USA has federal law for e-bikes which is more in the nature of guidance. States can use that, or ignore it and make their own e-bike law overruling the federal law.

• Disagree

budsy

Banned
May 16, 2020
Rubbish , Scotland has had much Oil taken out of it by Westminter of many yrs
and be nice of Westminster to pay back some for starters but Scotland doesnt expect such
from a little country England in which has taken from others for many yrs not just Scotland but Scotland for one for many yrs Oil for starters and i dont need to go one about other riches the Scots have which have aided much in keeping England and especially the South of England afloat for many yrs ..As for Armys also Scots often out on the front line this wont be again when Independence is voted for by the vasy majority of Scots as seen recent polls within Scotland which shall become a country in its own right ..facts are Scotland has much more going for it that rep of Ireland and they eventually became part Independent as are in a way ruled by the EU as i seen a March in Dublin when there and was to do with water rates and EU putting up price of their water ...I doubt Scotland would go down that route as have alike rep of ireland anough water of their own ..In Scotland one single Loch being Loch Ness has more water in it that all your lakes within England and Wales put together ..and this isnt Scotlands largest loch in which happens to be Loch Morar which holds most ..

Whisky within Scotland is now their largest export to the World and has been for many yrs with so many distilleries for a small country but they know what gtheyre doing

Also Energy Scotland was first in UK as a whole to see about that and go down that route
other things Scots have which we do not possess in England ..As for Wales it just doesnt possess the riches what the Scots possess to go independent ..Last polls also tell you Labour won in Wales easily ...In Scotland Snp won easily in Scotland ..As for Canada it is a country within its own rights ..back to Scotland when Independant shall be renamed what the Romans named Scotland and that was Caledonia ..Now so much better name than what is Ireland and England is Caledonia for a country going to be moving in the right direction as the UK under an Albino collapses .

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
i dont need to go one about other riches the Scots have which have aided much in keeping England and especially the South of England afloat for many yrs ..
No you don't need to because it is untrue.

Half of UK exports are financial services won by London in the South of England. For many years London has contributed many billions of pounds a year to the rest of the UK.

We keep ourselves afloat and provide a big surplus helping others.