Which bike for off-road?

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
"BTW the price is down to £1375 with 10+% discounts on multiple orders, so it's getting cheaper! "

is that for the bike? which one? there are 3 models.

Dan has just resurrected my "BionX" thread:p

so a trek 7.3 is about £400? so your paying £1000 for a fitted 250 watt kit, with the horrible battery arrangement (IMO)

eTim

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 19, 2009
Andover, Hants.
"BTW the price is down to £1375 with 10+% discounts on multiple orders, so it's getting cheaper! "

is that for the bike? which one? there are 3 models.

Dan has just resurrected my "BionX" thread:p

so a trek 7.3 is about £400? so your paying £1000 for a fitted 250 watt kit, with the horrible battery arrangement (IMO)
It's for the FX+ I believe, which is the equivalent of the 7.3 non ebike, 2009 model also.

The battery arrangement is probably better for my weird Marin frame as I would probably have to mount it onto a seatpost rack or in a rucsac whatever the kit.

eTim

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 19, 2009
Andover, Hants.
I'm going to make an educated guess that based on the spec of the battery that the TREK fit will be:

PL250 or PL250Light motor at 7/25Nm torque and 4.1Kg
Battery at 40.7v/6.5Ah/265Wh around 2Kg giving a range of 20-30 miles (with some regeneration) maybe more with lower assistance.
All in weight at 7Kg
Cost once stripped and Trek sold approx £1000.

Is the 350w motor, 37V/10Ah battery, throttle and nearly 3Kg extra weight worth an extra £500 ??

:confused:

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
If going down this road personally I would want the 350. But like you say £1500 is steep when you can get an Ezee and eventually the new wisper kit for well under £1000 with UK support:rolleyes:

The wisper will be good I am sure, with front dapush motor and Battery within the frame. I really need to get something sorted late April at latest

Andrew harvey

Pedelecer
Jun 13, 2008
Wyre Forest
www.smiths-cycles.com
eTim I have never stocked the 350w version of the Bionx as I sell to direct through my shop.
The 250w high torque is very similar to the 350w motor and I've always felt it was the same motor, just 'retuned' to comply with European law.
Product Range - BionX - Intelligent Mobility Systems
I think you will find the 6.5amp hour battery to be Bionx's mini battery, and only available in 24V, you would be able to get 20+ miles range on fairly flat ground but of road you would need to go for the bigger pack. On top of that I would definitely check which motor is supplied on the Trek as the high torque motor costs the same as the 350w motor and should retail around the £1450 pound mark. If you email me at mail@k-jelec.com with a phone number I can try to ring you back with an exact cost or at least an alternative, which might surprise you.

eTim

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 19, 2009
Andover, Hants.
eTim I have never stocked the 350w version of the Bionx as I sell to direct through my shop.
The 250w high torque is very similar to the 350w motor and I've always felt it was the same motor, just 'retuned' to comply with European law.
Product Range - BionX - Intelligent Mobility Systems
I think you will find the 6.5amp hour battery to be Bionx's mini battery, and only available in 24V, you would be able to get 20+ miles range on fairly flat ground but of road you would need to go for the bigger pack. On top of that I would definitely check which motor is supplied on the Trek as the high torque motor costs the same as the 350w motor and should retail around the £1450 pound mark. If you email me at mail@k-jelec.com with a phone number I can try to ring you back with an exact cost or at least an alternative, which might surprise you.
Email sent, thanks.

Bionx list the 250HT with 9/35 Nm torque and the battery to go with it is the 36V 10Ah version at 4Kg, so that supports your theory and the odd post made elswhere on the internet about the Trek setup. It's annoying that Trek don't publish the specs properly.

I'm going for another test ride tomorrow so will be looking at all aspects of buying the Trek and stripping it for a conversion, including estimating the battery weight !

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
If going for the rack placed battery why not try and get a deal on an Ezee kit:)

eTim

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 19, 2009
Andover, Hants.
Warning Long Post :D;):

Let me try and summarise this thread and my thoughts so far in this quest to find an ebike for off-roading. I have managed to refine my requirements by the process of chatting on this forum, internet research and thinking time, my requirements in priority order currently are:
  • Off-road suitability, the bike must be orientated to off-road use/abuse.
In common with non-powered off-road bikes, the frame, geometry, gearing, components and wheels/tyres must be up to the job of getting wet, muddy and crashing, going up steep, slippery hills, jumping over roots, stumps, rocks, powering through thick mud and then being able to go down the same. The motor and battery must be capable of climbing steep hills, so high torque required, the motor and battery must be capable of taking off-road abuse (possibly with some modification), the balance of the bike should not be compromised by the motor and battery. Good front suspension is a minimum, the lighter the bike the better.
  • Lighter is better (sub 20Kg).
A lighter bike will not compromise the handling or ease of pedalling when the battery runs out, or you are not wanting to use the motor a good freewheeling motor is a must. It also means it's easier to store and maneuver in the garage.
  • I want to pedal and want the e-assist to compliment this.
I don't want a motor to do all the work for me, I prefer to not use the motor except when climbing steep hills/tricky sections or I want a break or it's the end of the day and I just want to get home. When the motor is helping I want to contribute and for the motor to meet my input given the level of motor contribution I have chosen.
  • For a kit - ease of kit fitting, Fit and forget type e-assist.
It must be a simple kit to fit requiring on/off switch, battery and motor. Using a system that requires thinking about when negotiating tricky ground will not be good for off-road use. I want to be able to push a button and the motor then just helps out whilst pedalling. This means a throttle system is not a requirement, it's a nice to have.
  • Range up to 30 miles with pedal assist.
As the bike is primarily intended for off-road use, then typically distances covered will be less than road distances, 30 miles with pedal assist is good for a day's off-road and will mean the battery can be less powerful and lighter.
  • Budget.
Up to £2000, I could be persuaded to spend more for the right bike, but I believe the VFM reduces (plus I've spent too much on road bikes recently!).

• Not required.
High speed - the UK maximum 15.5mph is OK.
Load carrying - seat post rack/bags or rucsac will do fine.
Low rolling resistance - Knobblies?

I've looked at as much of the market as I can for off-the-shelf bikes and kits, there are probably bikes/kits I've missed, but to narrow down my choices I've mainly concentrated on the requirements for off-road suitability and fit and forget. This has ruled out nearly all kits as they are hub motors and the battery/controller would need to be fitted to a rear seatpost (or rack), the motor will also receive lots more abuse being in one of the wheels and hub motors are less suitable for off-road climbing than bottom bracket motors. The only kit I have really considered is the BionX as although it is hub motor, it is more sophisticated and the battery can be mounted more centrally, there are no bottom bracket kits that I am aware of:
  • Bionx for an existing bike (full suspension, disc brake, Marin)
A rear hub motor that relies on a torque strain gauge in the hub to measure rider pedal input and adjusts assist according to 4 power levels set by the rider. 4-level battery regeneration is a feature and could provide 'engine' braking on the downhills whilst putting some power back into the battery. Control of the assist is automatic once switched on and works very well when tested on a Trek fitted bike on the road and up hills. Main downside is cost with the 350w or 250w high torque motor and 37v/10ah battery kit needing to be imported at a cost of around £1500. Another downside is weight with around 9-10Kg being added to a 15Kg bike. This is the only kit under consideration because of it's ability to provide input automatically and simply whilst the rider gets on with the job of riding. Warranty work will be problematic with the kit coming from the States.
To narrow my choices for the manufacturers bikes, I have selected the non-hub motor versions and gone for either the Yamaha or Panasonic bottom bracket drive system for their better hill climbing ability, possibly better robustness, central mount for low centre of gravity and assistance methods. Also the weight is out of the wheels so handling should be better, repairing punctures will be easier/faster and disc brakes are easily accommodated. I have spent my time researching kits so far so have not looked into the relative merits of these bikes yet (I have yet to test ride any of these machines, so these are my thoughts based on internet and forum research):
  • E-motion Cross Deluxe
Nice, lightweight, Panasonic system, 28" wheels, around £1800.
  • Gepida Sirmium
MTB frame, Yamaha system 26" wheels (better hill climbing?), around £1700.
  • Flyer X-Series
Full Susser, V.nice, needs to be imported from the EU at around £4,000 :eek: warranty more problematic.

• Optibike
Nice integrated full susser, battery in frame so problematic if it goes wrong (which all batteries do eventually), V expensive at around £8500 imported, warranty problematic. Bit more motorbike like so pedalling not neccesary, heavy and illegal in the UK.

If anyone knows of any other manufacturers bikes worthy of consideration, given the requirements (and removing hub motors from the equation), please chime in.

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
There's nothing else that will fit the bill as well as the Flyer X or the Emotion Cross.

I can't say for the Flyer X, but for the Emotion you might find that the maximum power availability only at cadences below 40 could be restrictive when tackling a hill that you want to storm at a faster pedalling rate. In that case you'd need to change the motor drive sprocket from the 9 tooth to the 11 tooth and change the rear cassette for one with a larger sprocket set to keep it to the same speed range. That would make full power available at up to a nearly 50 cadence.

Either way, those two bikes are the nearest to spec for this purpose and they have low pedalling resistance with the motor switched off. Although the unit is only moderately powered, they have the high power switched option so if only used on climbs they could be used full time on high power or switched off. Bear in mind though that the button switching from off to on has a two second delay, so it might be best to leave it on all the time, switching it between Eco (half power assist) and High power (1.3 or 1.5 times power assist).

Last edited:

eTim

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 19, 2009
Andover, Hants.
There's nothing else that will fit the bill as well as the Flyer X or the Emotion Cross.

I can't say for the Flyer X, but for the Emotion you might find that the maximum power availability only at cadences below 40 could be restrictive when tackling a hill that you want to storm at a faster pedalling rate. In that case you'd need to change the motor drive sprocket from the 9 tooth to the 11 tooth and change the rear cassette for one with a larger sprocket set to keep it to the same speed range. That would make full power available at up to a nearly 50 cadence.

Either way, those two bikes are the nearest to spec for this purpose and they have low pedalling resistance with the motor switched off. Although the unit is only moderately powered, they have the high power switched option so if only used on climbs they could be used full time on high power or switched off. Bear in mind though that the button switching from off to on has a two second delay, so it might be best to leave it on all the time, switching it between Eco (half power assist) and High power (1.3 or 1.5 times power assist).
Flecc - looking more closely at the motor specs for the Flyer X MTB version, it has a 15ah 26v (I think) battery and a 300w motor, does this translate into an S class bike? There are 2 slight variations with a 9 speed XT and a Rolhoff speed hub, what are the likely differences in gearing and speed of changes etc.

There is one UK dealer for the Flyers Bicicletta - home of electric bikes - Flyer X Series anyone have any experience of this dealer?

Thanks, Tim.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Flecc - looking more closely at the motor specs for the Flyer X MTB version, it has a 15ah 26v (I think) battery and a 300w motor, does this translate into an S class bike? There are 2 slight variations with a 9 speed XT and a Rolhoff speed hub, what are the likely differences in gearing and speed of changes etc.

There is one UK dealer for the Flyers Bicicletta - home of electric bikes - Flyer X Series anyone have any experience of this dealer?

Thanks, Tim.
It isn't an S class high speed model as far as I know, though I could be wrong. Their X designation has never meant that previously, only the S and THS designations being high speed class.

However, it is strictly speaking illegal at a 300 watt rating, though the chance of ever being picked up for that is vanishingly small since the power is only while pedalling.

The XT gearing is standard, the Rohloff permitting 20% higher assist speed due to the larger gear range, whether standard class or S class.

I don't know Bicicletta, but for a long time Vita Electric of Hampstead, London have been BikeTec Flyer agents, so you could check them out as well.

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
I spoke to Bicelleta when the bike came up on here originally.....they confirmed the weight at 23kg which was enough to put me of and the price was £4200 I think?

If it is illegal for road use in the UK you may as well get a powerful hub bike for a quarter of the price:confused:

a 500 watt wisper for instance. I think the carbon framed, high spec wisper 906 xc tourer with air shocks etc.... is looking a bit of a bargain in comparison;)

Andy_82

Pedelecer
Dec 27, 2008
All Chinese made

Hi David,

Thats fighting talk :D

The frames we use on the Gepida bikes are European and are renowned for their quality, and are far superior of those frames made in China! So are excellent for off road use.

I may be wrong but having a Yamaha crank drive kit means the power and performance on the Gepida can be used more effectively off road. As it use a toque sensor that will deliver the power on demand and more efficiently then the Wisper would.

We should meet up and put it to the test David – Knowle Parks near you isn’t it?

Saying all that the wisper is one of the best ebikes on the market. For a rear hub driven bike this is what we recommend to all our customers in our sister company E-bikes Direct.

Regards
Aidan
Hi Aidan,

Are you sure the frames are welded in Hungary. I reckon these are Chinese made frames that are at the best option sprayed in Hungary. On my last trip to China I've seen enough and was shocked how ''European'' brand were Chinese really. I won't say which EU brands were saw being made in China but it was very surprising .

Polar753

Pedelecer
Feb 8, 2010
Scotland
I spoke to Bicelleta when the bike came up on here originally.....they confirmed the weight at 23kg which was enough to put me of and the price was £4200 I think?

If it is illegal for road use in the UK you may as well get a powerful hub bike for a quarter of the price:confused:

a 500 watt wisper for instance. I think the carbon framed, high spec wisper 906 xc tourer with air shocks etc.... is looking a bit of a bargain in comparison;)
Quick look at the X Series MTB and here in the UK it costs £5107! :eek:

Bicicletta - home of electric bikes - Flyer X Series

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008

eTim

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 19, 2009
Andover, Hants.
Yeah but what a bike, full suss, perfect for the job.

This is what an off-road ebike should be, probably built like a swiss watch and oozes class from the web page. I wonder if the chinese will start copying it !!!

Last edited:

Polar753

Pedelecer
Feb 8, 2010
Scotland
the £ has gone from 1.16 to 1.10 against the euro in a couple of weeks, not sure re Swiss franc, whatever it dont help

at that price I would not feel comfortable leaving it locked up anywhere, and could you get it insured as well:confused:
The Euro fluctuations have caused inflation to a large extent, but from the Biketec website the X Series MTB is listed at €4'690 Including tax @ 19%. I don't want to start a rip off UK rant but why is it not £4263 and that's not taking account of the VAT difference. What have I missed? £844 more here??

I don't think you will ever see one with panniers outside Tesco, but that much cash on a bike and then trash it in the local forest is for rich kids and lottery winners only. I would still like one....

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
I don't think you will ever see one with panniers outside Tesco, but that much cash on a bike and then trash it in the local forest is for rich kids and lottery winners only. I would still like one....
I'm good at trashing bikes, I bet I could break it soon. The only original parts left on my bike are the electrics and the front wheel. :eek:

eTim

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 19, 2009
Andover, Hants.
The Euro fluctuations have caused inflation to a large extent, but from the Biketec website the X Series MTB is listed at €4'690 Including tax @ 19%. I don't want to start a rip off UK rant but why is it not £4263 and that's not taking account of the VAT difference. What have I missed? £844 more here??

Then it would probably be cheaper to train/drive to Switzerland (Holland, Germany, France, Belgium) have a mini holiday, ride some trails and bring the bike back with you (me). :D

Anybody coming ??

P.S. I called a couple of UK dealers today and they are getting back to me with prices, one website had it at £3750.

Last edited:

Polar753

Pedelecer
Feb 8, 2010
Scotland
I'm good at trashing bikes, I bet I could break it soon. The only original parts left on my bike are the electrics and the front wheel. :eek:
Braking bikes is a bit of a sore point, not had the best few days, still works so I'm not too cross with myself! Live and learn eh.

Then it would probably be cheaper to train/drive to Switzerland (Holland, Germany, France, Belgium) have a mini holiday, ride some trails and bring the bike back with you (me). :D

Anybody coming ??

P.S. I called a couple of UK dealers today and they are getting back to me with prices, one website had it at £3750.
Now that is getting close to being tempting. It needs to have the 300w motor and big battery. I wonder how long the batt will last, about £750 for a new one every couple of years. Thanks to this forum and my new bike I'm really enjoying biking again, been away for too long.