Wisper Clone on eBay

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
The best batteries are costing manufacturers more than that £150 in China, so with transport, import duty, profit margin and VAT the price is substantially more of course. One manufacturer faced an increase in the price they paid at source for a 36 volt 10 Ah battery of £40 for the right quality early this year. Wisper have made the choice not to add the usual profit margin to give them a marketing advantage, so their price is little different from an ebay one for that same battery if it were available through that route. As I've shown, the others who haven't done that have very much higher prices

However, my point was that you couldn't make the same bike for anything like £500, and your prices would make it more like a Synergie Mistral. To make a Wisper clone I think you'd be hard pushed to buy a controller of the right quality, twistgrip control, electric cutout brake levers, battery meter and wiring for £30 retail.

Someone who felt the same as you decided to go ahead earlier this year, but has now given up after learning some realities of just how difficult it is. He joins a long line who've vanished after a few months.

The Maestro

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2008
The best batteries are costing manufacturers more than that £150 in China, so with transport, import duty, profit margin and VAT the price is substantially more of course. One manufacturer faced an increase in the price they paid at source for a 36 volt 10 Ah battery of £40 for the right quality early this year. Wisper have made the choice not to add the usual profit margin to give them a marketing advantage, so their price is little different from an ebay one for that same battery if it were available through that route. As I've shown, the others who haven't done that have very much higher prices

However, my point was that you couldn't make the same bike for anything like £500, and your prices would make it more like a Synergie Mistral. To make a Wisper clone I think you'd be hard pushed to buy a controller of the right quality, twistgrip control, electric cutout brake levers, battery meter and wiring for £30 retail.

Someone who felt the same as you decided to go ahead earlier this year, but has now given up after learning some realities of just how difficult it is. He joins a long line who've vanished after a few months.
Well I reckon my bikes better than a Wisper 905 SE City cost around 500 :) The bike itself is certainly miles better, the motor and everything else is more or less the same, the battery about 30% worse. If you took the full UK retail price I paid for the kit and the full original (6 years ago) highstreet retail price I paid for the bike it'd be about 800. I think that would be a reasonable price point for the Wisper SE City, I still wouldn't buy ome though, I'd buy their competitor. I luuuv Asbestos :D

Timco541

Just Joined
Aug 12, 2008
calm down ! calm down !

Sorry everyone, no intention to start a war over wether or not you can build a bike for a certain price, someone wanted to know if the £595 bike was any good, and as a proud owner of several months, I can tell you it is excellent.
I can't afford to pay £1200 for a wisper , or £1500 for a Kalkhoff, and was looking at the powerbike Salisbury LPX or the 'Ebay Special' and I think i bought the right one!

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Well I reckon my bikes better than a Wisper 905 SE City cost around 500 :) The bike itself is certainly miles better, the motor and everything else is more or less the same, the battery about 30% worse. If you took the full UK retail price I paid for the kit and the full original (6 years ago) highstreet retail price I paid for the bike it'd be about 800. I think that would be a reasonable price point for the Wisper SE City, I still wouldn't buy ome though, I'd buy their competitor. I luuuv Asbestos :D
Each to their own Maestro, and I support that, there should be the widest possible choice available to customers.

Don't mind asbestos either, I've used hard white asbestos sheet extensively in my younger years, sawing it dry and never using masks. In my seventies now, I've no lung problems despite that and nearly forty years of heavy smoking up to a few years ago. I think the most dangerous diseases these days are paranoia and fear.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Sorry everyone, no intention to start a war over wether or not you can build a bike for a certain price, someone wanted to know if the £595 bike was any good, and as a proud owner of several months, I can tell you it is excellent.
I can't afford to pay £1200 for a wisper , or £1500 for a Kalkhoff, and was looking at the powerbike Salisbury LPX or the 'Ebay Special' and I think i bought the right one!
No need to worry Timco, it's just a friendly disagreement, and we have plenty in here. As I said to Maestro, each to their own, and better you have that bike if you can't afford the £1200 one than have no bike at all.

The Maestro

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2008
Each to their own Maestro, and I support that, there should be the widest possible choice available to customers.

Don't mind asbestos either, I've used hard white asbestos sheet extensively in my younger years, sawing it dry and never using masks. In my seventies now, I've no lung problems despite that and nearly forty years of heavy smoking up to a few years ago. I think the most dangerous diseases these days are paranoia and fear.
Yep I used to lick my mum's ironing board asbestos sheet when I was a kid and it never did me any harm :eek: The risk is probably greatly exagerated and I agree about paranoia and fear. There again they keep many people in health and safety jobs.

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Gits!!!

The problem was that the pads had asbestos in and so they were seized by the authorities, nothing more, it caused serious problems for the Oz importer (who now buys bone fide Wisper bikes as do several other companies who have had experience of these clones).

You must excuse me getting a tad annoyed, although being copied is very flattering, I do get a little miffed when we have spent years and buckets of cash getting the bike right and some miserable git comes in a copies it, badly! :eek:

Never mind we have loads in the pipeline, the only answer to the low lifes that don't have a new idea in their heads is to keep in front of them. :)

Just remember if you are tempted, it is much like buying knock off CD's or dodgy car parts, the product is NEVER as good as the original and the profits go to a few chancers who are after making a few bucks rather than the guys who are serious about electric bikes and moving the market and technology forward.

I've had my moan, thanks for reading! :)

All the best David

Last edited:

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
Well I bought one and it is excellent. I am commuting 20 miles per day in Scotland including some very steep hills. It is very well put together and the components are of good quality. The motor is powerful and the battery is still showing a green light when I get home from work. I have covered several hundred miles on it and I am a very satisfied customer.
I had a chat with chap yesterday and they have no more stock of that particular model, but are developing a new bike with another company and expect to have it in 10 to 12 weeks @ approx £700 ........Developing times for electric bikes, and I hope prices will start to become more reasonable.

Can't see how others can get petulant regards design, as a bike is basically a triangle with a wheel at each end and a battery in one of three positions - hardly rocket science lol

Plus others have battery's in same positions as these models such as the ezee, which I believe have been around for a while.

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
A bit simplistic!!

Can't see how others can get petulant regards design, as a bike is basically a triangle with a wheel at each end and a battery in one of three positions - hardly rocket science lol
Hi Eddieo, I am delighted that your knock off Wisper of is serving you well. I truly would hate to see the public ripped off too. I am delighted that the bike is basicaly good, it should be, I designed it! Just imagine if you had bought real one!

If you had spent the 10's of £1000's we have and visited China more than 20 times getting it right perhaps you would feel a little annoyed too!

If you really believe that is bike is a triangle with a wheel at each end, there's no real point in taking this discussion further. :D

Best regards David

Last edited:

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
Hi Eddieo, I am delighted that your knock off Wisper of is serving you well. I truly would hate to see the public ripped off too. I am delighted that the bike is basicaly good, it should be, I designed it! Just imagine if you had bought real one!

If you had spent the 10's of £1000's we have and visited China more than 20 times getting it right perhaps you would feel a little annoyed too!

If you really believe that is bike is a triangle with a wheel at each end, there's no real point in taking this discussion further. :D

Best regards David
For a start you need to put your reading glasses on:) it is not me who has the e*ay bike but Timco 541? I actually prefer the wisper but for the price.

My opinion for what its worth is: I think their is far to much dealer/manufacturer presence on here, in what is supposed to be a medium for amateur/enthusiast discussion. Not somewhere where manufacturers or dealers can endlessly engineer debate back towards their product at every opportunity......Particularly if they are going to get tired and emotional regards the subject:)

I am a member of various other forums and this simply would not be tolerated;)

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Many of us like the manufacturers and agents in here eddieo, and they have regularly been extremely helpful to members with advice and spares. We have a clinics section that manufacturers and suppiers can opt to be in, but it's very reassuring to someone who posts a problem to have the supplier come in and help on the spot.

There has been the odd excess from time to time, but overall we are very much the beneficiaries of their presence.

JohnInStockie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2006
Stockport, SK7
I echo Fleccs sentiments, I want manufacturers and dealers posting on here, moreoften if possible. Yes they try to guide you to their machines, thankfully there's lots of users to 'set the record straight' too :D

John

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Too much manufacturer involvement?

Hi Eddieo

You may have a point, I do try to limit may comments to a few light hearted quips or advice for anyone having problems with their bikes, although I have posted links to video too. I never answer questions such as "Which electric bike should I buy? However feel your observation carries weight so I am pleased to have the opportunity to justify my position to you and other members who may feel the same.

I am an avid reader of the site for three reasons. Firstly, I love electric bikes and I find the site interesting, informative and sometimes very amusing. Secondly, it gives me the opportunity to both find out what real ebike enthusiasts want from their bikes, so I can make improvements to our range. Thirdly, I look to see if any of our customers are experiencing problems and try to offer a solution.

If other members feel my presence is intrusive I will stop posting.

As always, best regards David

the_killjoy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 26, 2008
As long as manufacturers and dealers make it clear that that is who they are and declare their interest I don't see their is any problem in them posting.

Blew it

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2008
Swindon, Wiltshire
David

No David, You must NOT stop reading and contributing to this forum.

The open and sometimes brutally honest interaction between users and suppliers on this forum can only be beneficial to both.

The use of electric bikes is extremely varied, not only in the types of terrain, but also the many and diverse climatic conditions in which the machines will be used. It would be impossible for the Wisper team to experience these many different uses of electric bikes first hand, this forum provides that type of feedback required on a daily basis. Without the regular input from users, the Wisper 905 would not have evolved into the thoroughbred we have now

There are a number of machines on the market that, although they have been around for many years, still suffer from the same mechanical and electrical design faults we hear about regularly on this forum. These machines are distributed by suppliers who, unlike the Wisper team, simply don't listen to their customers.

I do visit other forums regularly, and God forbid this forum should decend to the "bear pit" that some of them have become. There is of course a huge amount of knowledge available on those forums, but I find it tiresome wading through reams of disrespectful and abusive comments to find it.

The Pedelecs UK forum is excellent in every way, and the presence of the suppliers can only enhance it still further.

Please continue posting David

Regards

Bob

Last edited:

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
Yes well......

I have only recently become interested in electric bikes. Have been away on holidays to Italy for a month and when I logged in on my return this week it seems that things are generally moving forward with new bikes on the horizon.....

I watched a buying property abroad program this week, it was about Italy. The first shot's was of a elderly chap riding an electric bike across the town square! lol

While I kind of understand your comments regards dealers presence on here, I think in the case of this thread you have missed the point, and I believe wispers contributions breach your forums terms and conditions. I have never excepted "only having a laugh" or a smiley as justification for questionable behavior.

Back on thread: The E Bikes UK bike may well be a decent product, who knows.... Timco has one and is pleased with it. Maybe their next bike will be of interest to all, lets hope so........

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
While I kind of understand your comments regards dealers presence on here, I think in the case of this thread you have missed the point, and I believe wispers contributions breach your forums terms and conditions. I have never excepted "only having a laugh" or a smiley as justification for questionable behavior.
Of course that could also be an argument for changing the terms and conditions, since the majority of members like the commercial presence in here, and the forum exists for member's benefit.

Those of us who've posted would not regard Wisper's contributions as questionable at all. They are informative and helpful, rather than directly promotional, and if the contributions generate commercial gain as they clearly do, it's a well deserved gain which I for one do not resent in any way.

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
Of course that could also be an argument for changing the terms and conditions, since the majority of members like the commercial presence in here, and the forum exists for member's benefit.

Those of us who've posted would not regard Wisper's contributions as questionable at all. They are informative and helpful, rather than directly promotional, and if the contributions generate commercial gain as they clearly do, it's a well deserved gain which I for one do not resent in any way.
So you think it OK to use terms like "Gits!" and "low lifes" when discussing other companys product? Also a petulant and sarcastic "well I hope you enjoy your wisper knock of" when I haven't even seen one yet?

Don't bother responding. By far to many sycophants on here who have been in the wood's to long and cant see the trees.....

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I'm sorry you've come in here looking for an argument Eddie, but as you've found, you are clearly in the wrong place for that. It seems from what you've said that you are happier in some other forums, each to his own as it should be.

We exist to look after those with a wide variety of views, each just as valid as yours, and we do it without insulting and sarcastic comments about the other members.

The Maestro

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2008
So you think it OK to use terms like "Gits!" and "low lifes" when discussing other companys product? Also a petulant and sarcastic "well I hope you enjoy your wisper knock of" when I haven't even seen one yet?

Don't bother responding. By far to many sycophants on here who have been in the wood's to long and cant see the trees.....
I do think the manufacturers are normally a welcome presence including Wisper. although I do agree with you in regards to this thread where there are some slightly unprofessional comments (in my opinion). Most of my comments earlier on in the thread were because it did get my back up a bit one manufacturer tarnishing another so blatently. People robbing ideas goes on all the time in business and most of the time there's nothing you can do about it especially if the ideas not that original in the first place. If you ask me any mtb with a battery behind the seat is going to look like a wisper. They are a well put together product but no major innovation as far as I can see. Hopefully they will put together some truely innovative products together in future and they could then lay claim to some real intellectual property to defend their business.