Wisper or Gepida

Stumpi

Pedelecer
Dec 3, 2009
Scotland
Since I got my Cytronex and had my eyes opened to Ebiking it has opened a whole new world for me. I have always loved cycling but being a uniped it was always a bit of an effort and therefore I tended to cycle only when I was really motivated. Having that “cushion” of power in reserve just takes the edge of the hills and wind and enables me to cycle more often without completely chin strapping myself.

I want another bike. My Cytronex is great and has become the bike I use for exercise. Due to the narrow wheels the Urban 500 is at its best on smoother roads. In my Ebike fleet it fills the “Sports car” role. What I want along side the sports car is something a little more practical, comfortable with mild off road capabilities. Something to cope with the back lanes, maybe do a few forest tracks and carry a bit of shopping. If the Cytronex is a Ferrari I’m looking for a Range Rover.

I’ve got £1500 to spend and have narrowed it down to two choices

Wisper 905 SE Sport(14A) or Gepida Sirmium

As I see it the pros and cons are

Wisper
Pros
BEBA member with a presence on the board
Well proven design
Great customer back up
Great customer feedback
Big battery and impressive range
Local dealers near where I live so should be able to try before I buy

Cons
Some reviews question the brakes

Gepida
Pros
Crank motor had great rep for hill climbing and reliability
MTB looks

Cons
No local dealers so would be buying “blind”
Not seen any customer feedback
Website a little lacking is specific details for the Sirmium
My simple brain says smaller battery means less range

Your comments are invited esp from owners of the above brands

Stumpi

Bigbee

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 12, 2008
Which bike?

Where abouts are you?

Theyre quite a different ride. I found the Gepida needed a bit of getting use to,to pedal up hill slowly is against human nature but thats what it wants you to do,whack it in a high gear and pedal slowly.Its a nice gentle ride whilst the Wisper is more about power.I think the Gepida is a better build quality.There are some new bikes coming on the market soon I think from other manufacturers

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Although I've not ridden the Gepida with it's Yamaha unit, I've got extensive long term riding experience with the very similar Panasonic unit Stumpi.

Since these work by adding power to each pedal stroke as a ratio of rider input, I wonder how seriously your halved pedal stroke input would affect the power you receive. Basically it means that you are likely to get only get half the motor input, and since the ratio of motor power applied is limited by cadence, falling with rising cadence, you couldn't compensate by doubling your cadence.

Therefore it really is essential that you try out this or the very similar Panasonic system first, given your particular needs.

I've got a very full description of the way these systems work on one of my webpages here.

There are some small differences on the Yamaha unit, but they don't affect the basic principles of operation.

Stumpi

Pedelecer
Dec 3, 2009
Scotland
Bigbee

I'm just south of Edinburgh

Flecc

Great website BTW.

I use spd pedals which enables me to pedal more evenly as I lift a little on the upward stroke but I can't get away from the fact that more power comes from the down stroke on my good leg. I am in the habit of using a quicker cadence as thats good practice for "normal" cyclists and also makes me smoother.

I wonder if,over time, my uneven pedaling will put stress on the crank. I'm assuming replacing a normal crank would be easier than replacing the crank in a Yamaha/Panasonic bike

I think you're right I would need to try something with a crank motor. I'm sure I could get into the habit of pedalling slower but I expect that in a back to back test ride the Wisper would feel more natural over a short run.

many thanks

Stumpi

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I wonder if,over time, my uneven pedaling will put stress on the crank. I'm assuming replacing a normal crank would be easier than replacing the crank in a Yamaha/Panasonic bike
Thanks for the kind comment Stumpi. :)

Wow, just realised this will be post number 14,000. :eek:

If I'd pasted them all into a Word document I'd be rivalling the bible. :D

The Panasonic uses normal square taper cranks, but two left hand ones since the chainwheel is independently on splines. The pedalshaft and it's bearings are very substantial and never give any trouble so it should cope with your pedalling characteristic. I can't say for the Yamaha unit though I think it's very likely to be similar, but perhaps Aiden would confirm that for you.

As said though, for you it's even more vital that you try these systems first before committing.

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent

Congratulations Flecc! :D :D :D :D

14,000 posts say 5 minutes a post, 1170 hours, that's 7 months typing at 8 hours a day 5 days a week without taking into consideration the reading element.

Just stick your bill in to Russ!

All the best, you have made the forum what it is today!

David

Gepida uk

Pedelecer
May 11, 2009
Hi Stumpi,
I will send you a PM shortly.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Congratulations Flecc!

14,000 posts say 5 minutes a post, 1170 hours, that's 7 months typing at 8 hours a day 5 days a week without taking into consideration the reading element.

All the best, you have made the forum what it is today!

David
Thanks David, it's little wonder I've got three keyboards with all the lettering worn off many of the keys! :eek:

Just checked and the 14,000 is 19.4% of all the posts made throughout the pedelecs site. :)

Last edited:
C

Cyclezee

Wow, just realised this will be post number 14,000.

If I'd pasted them all into a Word document I'd be rivalling the bible. :D.
You have no rival Tony..............except there is more sex in the bible;)

Congratulations, where would Pedelec be without you:eek:

J:) hn

Gepida uk

Pedelecer
May 11, 2009
Since I got my Cytronex and had my eyes opened to Ebiking it has opened a whole new world for me. I have always loved cycling but being a uniped it was always a bit of an effort and therefore I tended to cycle only when I was really motivated. Having that “cushion” of power in reserve just takes the edge of the hills and wind and enables me to cycle more often without completely chin strapping myself.

I want another bike. My Cytronex is great and has become the bike I use for exercise. Due to the narrow wheels the Urban 500 is at its best on smoother roads. In my Ebike fleet it fills the “Sports car” role. What I want along side the sports car is something a little more practical, comfortable with mild off road capabilities. Something to cope with the back lanes, maybe do a few forest tracks and carry a bit of shopping. If the Cytronex is a Ferrari I’m looking for a Range Rover.

I’ve got £1500 to spend and have narrowed it down to two choices

Wisper 905 SE Sport(14A) or Gepida Sirmium

As I see it the pros and cons are

Wisper
Pros
Well proven design
Great customer back up
Great customer feedback
Big battery and impressive range
Local dealers near where I live so should be able to try before I buy

Cons
Some reviews question the brakes

Gepida
Pros
Crank motor had great rep for hill climbing and reliability
MTB looks

Cons
No local dealers so would be buying “blind”
Not seen any customer feedback
Website a little lacking is specific details for the Sirmium
My simple brain says smaller battery means less range

Your comments are invited esp from owners of the above brands

Stumpi
Hi Stumpi,

here is a review from one of customers, that posted on this site,

Hi Everyone,
I just thought I would update you all and tell you all about my experience which I had with E Bikes Direct. I went along to see them the other day to have a look at their range of electric bikes, the one that I was most interest to me was the Gepida Reptila 1000. Whilst I was there I was able to test ride lots of different bikes, to help me make my final decision I had a go on the Powacycle Salisbury Lpx which was a really nice bike & seemed to be well equipped for the money. Also the Wiper 905 Se City and Se Sport, both of these models of bike were very powerful & impressive. But the one that really stood out from the crowed was the Gepida, The build quality & the looks were second to none and the best I saw out of all the bikes even down to the riding quality of this wonderful machine. I sure it was down to Yamaha crank drive system which made the whole experience so enjoyable It was smooth, powerful and very agile on the road. It also boasted some fantastic equipment which included Bush & Muller front & rear lights, Rear pannier rack which also had a funky little pump attached to it. The Rst front suspension forks coupled with the very comfy seat & suspension seat post (I did not know such a thing existed) I was that impressed with the bikes both my wife and I had to have one.

So we took delivery of them yesterday and put them straight on charge, So we have been out today on our newly charged bikes and hit the road in the Country side of East Sussex, as some of you might know what the area does have its fair share of hills. We enjoyed the beautiful weather and Ashdown Forest and went for the longest ride I think we have ever done on a bike a massive 25ish miles and still had power left in the battery I expected to have a num bum by the time we got back But I think the pub lunch and a few beers helped with that. I am that impressed with these bike I thought I should do the Wright thing and tell you all about my experience with these bikes just as some of you did with the bikes that you had purchased else were.

I would just like to thank the guys at E Bikes Direct for their patients and very helpful and professional manner in the way they helped me making my decision even though the bike had already done it for me.

Thanks

James111

Gepida uk

Pedelecer
May 11, 2009
Well done flecc, 14000 posts very impressive

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Hi Stumpi

The best thing is to try both, the Wisper will certainly live up to all you have read here and anywhere else for that matter. It is however possible that you will prefer the Gepida as you can see here there are some that do. It's all down to riding preferences.

Just remember that a 194Wh bike delivering the same level of assistance will never compete with a bike with a 504Wh battery on either power or range.

All that said, Gepida is a very good bike and you will get 1st class service from the team at Electric Bikes Direct what ever you buy!

Simple ;)

All the best

David

Last edited:

Gepida uk

Pedelecer
May 11, 2009
it is a 213Wh :D

C

Cyclezee

Hi Stumpi,

If it's a crank motor you want, you have the choice of several Panasonic powered bikes from Kalkhoff, E-Motion et al. These have a larger capacity 10Ah battery compared to the Gepida's 8Ah.

If however you want a hub motor, don't forget Ezee, from my experience the build quality, components used and finish is better than Wisper for very similar money.

J:) hn

Last edited by a moderator:

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
You need to try a crank drive bike..there must be a Panasonic dealer within striking distance, there is also the E motions to consider. Personally the crank system has never appealed, but I will get around to trying one eventually, and with the 300 watt bikes I may be tempted. At the end of the day you cant go wrong with a wisper! what's happening to the Alien, is it being retired?

In an ideal world I would like 2 bikes. either my present 905 or better still a Wisper 906 xc and a Focus Jifara speed (300watt) or a Bionx. That way I would be covered when one is in the bike shop:p

matt-derby

Pedelecer
May 7, 2009
Derby UK
my tuppence

Hi Stumpi!

I'd have a look at the Emotion bikes, the one below in particular, I'm in a very similar position to you regarding stable mates, but flecc may have a point regarding your unique riding situation with the crank systems.

BH - E-motion Off-road 650 - Vélos, Vtt

Presteigne is very close!!

Matt

Cytronex Claud Butler Urban 500

Stumpi

Pedelecer
Dec 3, 2009
Scotland
Congratulations, where would Pedelec be without you
Without doubt Flecc/Tony is a huge asset to this site and Ebiking in general. While clearly a "panasonic" man he still offers informed and balanced views on all aspects of Ebiking

Just remember that a 194Wh bike delivering the same level of assistance will never compete with a bike with a 504Wh battery on either power or range.
I know I and do tend to fall into the 'There is no substitute for cubes' way of life

what's happening to the Alien, is it being retired?
It lives down on the coast at our static caravan and gets used most weekends. I do like my toys( 4 motorbikes,2 cycles, 2 Ebikes third on the way) If I anaylise it too much I think I'm compensating for losing a limb or making up for the fact that I nearly died by living life to the full. I have to say being alive is just great:D

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Without doubt Flecc/Tony is a huge asset to this site and Ebiking in general. While clearly a "panasonic" man he still offers informed and balanced views on all aspects of Ebiking
Thanks Stumpi. :)

While I like the Panasonic style system and rode one for years, I also enjoy hub motor bikes and for some while now my only bike has been a hub motor one, the Q-bike.

That's partly due to age making me a bit lazier. so appreciating the option of letting the bike do all the work at times.