Woosh Sirocco CD vs Cyclotricity Stealth

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
we are talking derestricted assist cycling right? the CD power drops much more quickly than the Big Bear between 15mph and 20mph.
up to 20mph, the Big Bear pulls like a train so better than the CD. After 20mph, the Bear loses power much faster than the CD.

Last edited:

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
it depends on you cadence, you will be amazed how much faster to can ride with a CD. Your legs get stronger. The Bear makes you lazy, it's more a motobike than a bike. The Bear easily beats cars at traffic lights but that's not necessarily a good thing.

bikesbikesbikes

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jun 3, 2014
hmm i understand. tbh I want a lazy morning, little or no pedaling while getting to work as I dont want to sweat, but in the evening, it may depend on how tired I am after work as I am on my feet all day. some days I may be less tired so willing to pedal, others i may be less willing to pedal and just cruise home lol (fun)
tbh i spend about 40£ a week on travel via trains etc. when I could be spending pennies with a ebike. not even that, but when out on leisure rides where sweating isnt a problem, i love cycling and I havent been cycling ever since I used to go college about 12 mile round trip, daily, and I even had free travel at that time but still decided to cycle! so you can understand where i am coming from. im 25 now, so that oomph in torque would be ideal for me for the mornings, or even when i am transporting goods from one shop to another, that rear pannier is very useful also.

john h

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 22, 2012
murthly castle estate
TREX who are C R C , am going change my gears on my sirocco cd i have the early one 7 speed (14_34t) good advice bikesbikes bikes from trex on the cd, iv had one for a year now no problems, and can pedal even with power off

Geebee

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 26, 2010
Australia
Also chain drive means your legs are constantly moving right?
Nope, there is a freewheel in the drive that allows the motor to run without your feet if you have a throttle and you can pedal at 10 rpm whilst the motor does 60 rpm, it just means you are not putting any power in yourself.
Also there is no drag when the motor is off.

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
Bikesbikesbikes...I would have agreed with much of the foregoing until Bafang developed the BPM hub motor. This motor out performs any crank drive in any terrain with the exception that if you are going mountain climbing on very steep gradients at less than 4 mph.
The BPM motor is very similar to the Panasonic hub motor and the BH hub motor both £2k bikes. The Panasonic hub motor is the most powerful of any legal e-bike.
I have testing access to KTM,Haibike and BH bikes so have a good selection to compare. All future Kudos bikes will be fitted with the BPM motor. This hub v crank discussion swings like a pendulum,last year all the major manufacturers were crank drive now many are going hub drive.
The BPM motor combined with King Display allows you to derestrict up to 19 mph on 26" wheeled bikes or 23 mph on 29" wheeled bikes,the limit being the maximum speed of the motor.
The problem of crank drive is the load on the chain and the gears when being asked to change gear uphill with high pas loading and high pedal loading. The Bosch and Impulse systems overcome this problem by turning the power down when trying uphill gear changes but this loses momentum.
We have overcome the problem on our Eiger bike by using the Nuvinci hub system ,it works very well and gearchanges are very smooth,but the system is expensive.
Considering all factors, hub drive when using the BPM motor is far superior to crank drive,it is cheaper,simpler and more powerful with none of the gear and chain breakage problems of crank drive.
Ask any of the members on this forum who are using the Kudos Arriba,Tornado,Escape or Typhoon bikes and I am sure they will speak highly of this hub system.
KudosDave

Reactions: Deleted member 4366

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
the BPM is overkill for riders weighing less than 100kgs. It has too much power if you are not overweighed, it's like riding a motobike.
You want to keep your legs strong, buy a CD.

D

Deleted member 4366

It's the same old thing. If you have a lot of power, you can always turn it down. If you don't have enough, you can't turn it up.

The Woosh CD motor is not particularly powerful. It's not really suitable for using it with only throttle, i.e. without pedalling. To go up moderate hills, you have to use bottom gear and pedalling. IIRC, it couldn't get me up our 14% test hill without pedalling, but I could get up 20% hills without too much pedal effort.

When it first came out I did some tests and comparisons, including a bit of hot-rodding. I posted the results somewhere if you look back through my posts about two years ago. It's possible that there's been changes since then. but the size of the motor is still the same.

I agree with Kudos Dave. I've said it before that crank-drives are a fashion that will pass. In about two years time, hub-motors will rule. In fact they do now, but people don't look with open minds. When Bosch makes their hub-motor, things will change rapidly. There'll still be crank-drives, but not like now.

Last edited by a moderator:

john h

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 22, 2012
murthly castle estate
Ebikenewb, i find the cd best for most of the cycling i do(more range), my sport model is the early type its great for a bit of fast riding along tracks or on road it has more gears +is lighter not as good as the cd on hills, whoosh sport models have a cd and a ts sport not sure if they still do just sport, i also have a carea vengance with a torque crank with a 250 rear 8 fun i got from BMS BATTERY i love to use as it feels just like an none ebike if on whoosh site check out second hand bikes i think they have a sport cd at the moment