XiongDa Two-Speed Motor

• Thread starter Deleted member 4366
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 4366

You don't need heat. You just need to go beyond the elastic limit. I had to go to about 220mm to settle at 155mm. Aluminium work hardens, so you can;t keep moving it without heat, but once will be OK.

RC23

Finding my (electric) wheels
May 18, 2014
Germany
User bastl-axel writes about the workflow of stretching a bike frame with heat:

"It's really just relaxing in the metal structure. But only 5mm expand, then heat until a large area and allow to cool, and so on and so forth, until the dimension is correct. Steel must be about 10 mm flare so that it remains 5 mm and the aluminum even 15-20 mm. Slowly ran keys. Gaining further bending always only once after cooling, relax and measure the threaded rod. With a 4 nut on the slack side, one can measure the old position of the bent dropout, where you turn this mother ran to the outside of the dropout slot. Because you really have to go back again in the final voltage phase to further bending and then turn only further apart. If you have too much bent, one can also easily turn the dropouts back together." http://www.pedelecforum.de/forum/index.php?threads/alu-hinterbau-aufweiten.27803/#post-401399

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 4366

I prefer my method. Lay the bike on its side; put a foot on the lower drop-out; grab hold of the other one and give a big heave-ho. Never mind the metal relaxing, you can relax with your beer afterwards while the theorists are still calculating.

I love these Germans, they're so technical. I made all my money by showing them how to throw away all their technical theories and do things in a simple practical way.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Similar to d8veh method for tube changes, perfect when on road to avoid getting mucky:

RC23

Finding my (electric) wheels
May 18, 2014
Germany
I prefer my method. Lay the bike on its side; put a foot on the lower drop-out; grab hold of the other one and give a big heave-ho. Never mind the metal relaxing, you can relax with your beer afterwards while the theorists are still calculating.

I love these Germans, they're so technical. I made all my money by showing them how to throw away all their technical theories and do things in a simple practical way.
:D

You're right because you have experience. I am a cautious person and want to avoid a disaster...

cwah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 3, 2011
www.whatonlondon.co.uk
So, something like any 20" frame like the Dahon jetstream one wouldn't be able to get the Xiondga motor?

D

Deleted member 4366

Probably not, and don't forget that you need the software in the 36v controller to get the automatic speed changing, so you can't get the extra speed you need for the 20" wheel by over-volting unless you modify the controller.

1boris

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 10, 2013
I just read on pedeleforum.de about some upgrade to teh Xiongda 2 speed motor so I contacte Yona and asked her.Here is the reply from Yona:

Happy to hear from you again.

the power is same as before, and we change small part material inside and also the axle is more stronger too,the sounds more silent then before ,because we adapt sinewave controlelr for it.

Any Idea what this upgrade could be D8veh?

drsolly

Pedelecer
Jan 21, 2014
My motor has arrived! Plus controller, LCD thing, pedelec sensor, H/A/L switch (but no throttle, I'll use one I already have). I've ordered a double-wall rim for it; when that arrives, I'll try to work out the spoke size I need. Question for now - you put improved grease in, but you said it's a grease that's not on general sale. What grease should I get, and how much will I need? I have ordinary Lithium grease.

drsolly

Pedelecer
Jan 21, 2014
Minimum order 12 tubs of 400gm, £32. I can get one tub of "Silkolene Renolit EP2 Multi Purpose Industrial/Automotive Grease" from Ebay, £2.58, is that the same thing, or close enough? I just bought a tub ...

D

Deleted member 4366

Probably any grease is OK except what's already in the motor.

drsolly

Pedelecer
Jan 21, 2014
Trying to get the motor apart - I used your cap-head screw and a wrench idea, but I couldn't make it work. I couldn't hold the motor and at the same time apply enough torque with the wrench. And I don't see a way to hold the motor in a vice.

Will I be able to get it apart after I've laced it into a rim? You picture http://i451.photobucket.com/albums/qq236/d8veh/XD motor/20140628_163627_zpse6a14250.jpg makes me think I might be able to.

D

Deleted member 4366

Put a washer under the head of a cap-head screw; screw it down; tap it round with a hammer and screwdriver. Draw a pencil line across the join to see progress. After about an inch, you can do it by hand.

drsolly

Pedelecer
Jan 21, 2014
Yes!!! It worked. Mostly, I just needed you to give me the courage to "hit it with a hammer". The pencil line idea is clever.

IMG_0766.JPG
So now I have this. There seems to be a small amount of grease on the gears. Do I try to wipe that off, or doesn't it matter. Is this the only place that needs greasing, or do I need to do more disassembly? And how much grease should I shove in there?

Thanks.

If you even need help in installing a 4tb drive in a linux box, let me know.

By the way, the little box in the background showing some numbers is an aquarium temperature sensor costing about £1; they turn out to be handy for monitoring motor temperature if you don't have a thermocouple built in. I also use them for monitoring temperature inside servers :)

D

Deleted member 4366

You need to take the side-plate off. Remove the wheel-nut and other stuff from the axle and then tap the axle through, holding the side-plate. Don't damage the thread on the axle by careless hammering. You want it like this:

You need to put some grease on the axle as well as a fair dollop on each gear. When you reassemble it, you have to rotate the cmotor into different positions to insert the missing inner gear, which is shown in this picture:

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012