Yet Another London Cyclist Death Today

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Today another cyclist was crushed under a truck at Holborn, London, the bike a crumpled tangle of tubes under the truck still as I type. That's six deaths so far this year, but horrifically the third one in London in just two weeks.

These truck drivers are not chasing down cyclists with murderous intent, I'm sure they are totally shattered by such an event in their working life. The evidence is that almost all of these accidents was totally under the control of the cyclist and could easily have been avoided by them.

So please, please , please, wherever you are, keep your wits about you, watch out for trucks, recognise the limitations of the drivers vision and stay well clear of them, particularly on their blind left hand side. Your life is in your hands, not theirs.

jackhandy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 20, 2012
the Cornish Alps
That's bad: I wonder if the fine weather's making riders a bit more careless? Only takes a moment's lapse in concentration.

As a, sort of, update on the 2 riders killed on the A30 down here recently - I was talking to a chap who had to attend the scene & he tells me they had a support vehicle following them, but were approaching a layby,which it seems likely the lorry driver, who may have been over his hours, was pulling into: The trailer wheels went over them.

It really is not a road to be riding a bike on.

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
Very very sad , I feel for the family. One love.

I make just this general, and personal, observation. Nothing case specific at all - i wish to be quite clear on this.

I cycle all year round 5 days a week. In the winter the only folk on bikes are people who know how to handle themselves.

This month, where I live in Brighton /shoreham , the roads are packed with utterly incompetent cyclists. They are a danger to themselves and others around them. No idea of safety or etiquette or rules of the road.

It's not a wilful thing - its just a total lack of education and understanding. And practice frankly.

Education is the broad answer

Workable implementation in a recession ? No idea......sorry

amigafan2003

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 12, 2011
They are a danger to themselves and others around them.
I don't get this - incompetent cyclists on the road aren't really a danger to anyone else. I mean, they aren't going to be a danger to a cement mixer are they?

We need better cycling infrastructure whereby incompetent cyclists can wheel their merry way with no danger to themselves.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I don't get this - incompetent cyclists on the road aren't really a danger to anyone else. I mean, they aren't going to be a danger to a cement mixer are they?
I'm afraid they are, one cyclist collided with and killed an elderly man in London last year. Slow reacting pedestrians like the elderly or the very young can be at real risk from a rider and bike combination which can exceed 120 kilos at 20mph or more.

amigafan2003

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 12, 2011
I'm afraid they are, one cyclist collided with and killed an elderly man in London last year. Slow reacting pedestrians like the elderly or the very young can be at real risk from a rider and bike combination which can exceed 120 kilos at 20mph or more.
That's an exceptional case and you know it is - like the old chap that died after he got knocked over by a pedestrian exiting a shop in a haste.

We're not suddenly going to start saying untrained pedestrians are a menace and danger to everyone else are we?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Yes, but it shows that they can be a danger. There's nothing exceptional about cyclists colliding with pedestrians with less severe effects, it does happen.

My position is merely that cyclists should shoulder more responsibility for themselves and others, all too many don't as Kirstin has said above. Calling for better cycling facilities is not a priority since it will take too long, isn't possible on most of London's roads and there's no money to do it anyway.

Action is needed immediately to stop these deaths, and only cyclists can achieve that.

mike killay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 17, 2011
That's an exceptional case and you know it is - like the old chap that died after he got knocked over by a pedestrian exiting a shop in a haste.

We're not suddenly going to start saying untrained pedestrians are a menace and danger to everyone else are we?
Well, it's not the only case, there was a similar one near me on a cycle path some years ago.

mountainsport

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 6, 2012
The best thing that I can say is bless his/her soul, plus we must ALL take care when on the roads.

MS.

danfoto

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 2, 2010
Sarfeast England
It is normal procedure in the UK for drivers involved in any fatality to be arrested at the scene. It doesn't in any way imply guilt.
I'm well aware that arrest doesn't actually imply guilt, but as I understand it, the driver of the wagon involved in the fatal accident with the French girl on the Boris bike recently was actually not arrested ...

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton

We need better cycling infrastructure whereby incompetent cyclists can wheel their merry way with no danger to themselves.
Maybe not a cement mixer but certainly to themselves

And pedestrians as flecc mentions. Not as unusual as you appear to believe. Plenty of unfortunate examples in the local paper

I have personally seen two cyclist on cyclist crashes in last 10 days. Both on dedicated cycle paths. Sole reason in both was a lack of understanding of how to use the facilities, the importance of not weaving randomly over the cycle lane, not wearing headphones, how to overtake safely, how/when to use a bell and shout "on your right" etc

In other words - basic cycle awareness and safety

GT3

Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2009
Very very sad , I feel for the family. One love.

Education is the broad answer
I agree. I want training as my wife and I have different approaches, however, in north Birmingham training is only available to the residents of two boroughs who sign up for a complete course, it's crazy.

danfoto

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 2, 2010
Sarfeast England
I agree. I want training as my wife and I have different approaches, however, in north Birmingham training is only available to the residents of two boroughs who sign up for a complete course, it's crazy.
Forgive me if this is a daft question, but might the latest edition of "Cyclecraft" be of interest to you?

Cyclecraft

Mike63

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 23, 2008
Forgive me if this is a daft question, but might the latest edition of "Cyclecraft" be of interest to you
...does it tell you how to safely, make a right turn on a busy, narrow main road, with huge trucks thundering past at 30mph on both sides...the intersection may well have been clear 10 seconds sooner as you approached but all that can change in the blink of an eye.
....roads are a bloody nightmare and many motorists are not prepared to slow down for a cyclist.

danfoto

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 2, 2010
Sarfeast England
...does it tell you how to safely, make a right turn on a busy, narrow main road, with huge trucks thundering past at 30mph on both sides...
TBH I can't be arsed to rake out our outdated copy to check.

But in any case, how does cycle training actually do that?

amigafan2003

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 12, 2011
...does it tell you how to safely, make a right turn on a busy, narrow main road, with huge trucks thundering past at 30mph on both sides....
Not safely - as that depends on the other motorists accepting thier responsibilities and acting safely - but it does tell you how to make the maneuver safer and how you can attempt to influence other motorists responses and actions when encountering a cyclist.

Last edited:

carpetbagger

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 20, 2007
blackburn
i followed a cyclist today whilst taking wife to work, he went from left side of road to centre then back to left totally oblivious to our car behind, never even glanced behind, then went the wrong way down the middle of a one way street. If he doesn't get knocked off on way back he certainly will be very soon. Totally incompetent and shouldn't be on the road.
oh, and he went through the red traffic light as well

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
i followed a cyclist today whilst taking wife to work, he went from left side of road to centre then back to left totally oblivious to our car behind, never even glanced behind, then went the wrong way down the middle of a one way street. If he doesn't get knocked off on way back he certainly will be very soon. Totally incompetent and shouldn't be on the road.
oh, and he went through the red traffic light as well
Perhaps unfairly, they are often the ones who get away with their incompetence, simply because their behaviour is so obvious.

Those most at risk are the cyclists who, in trying to be safe and law abiding, actually put themselves in greater danger. Their common well-intentioned faults are always riding at the edge of the road, never crossing the stop line at red traffic lights so leaving themselves in the blind spot of large vehicles, and avoiding getting in the way of motor traffic so not being in the dominant position when right turning or approaching a narrow hazard.