Cyclamatic Power Plus Owners club

delboy

Finding my (electric) wheels
Aug 24, 2011
ok thanks , already feel at home,
anyone had problems with chain jumping off front sprocket? usually after changing down , not pedaling, very annoying !especially when you arrive at work covered in grease

alban

Pedelecer
May 25, 2011
Delboy - by just asking a question here!

I've got a Q.
I added a fair bit of solder to one end of the controller shunt (as in the mod in the technical section). Haven't noticed a great deal of increased power - a smidge maybe. I wonder if my novice soldering is naff - should I have melted the solder already there rather than just lumping new stuff on top of it ie poor connection?
Also now for the first time I noticed the power going off when grinding up a 5% slope on throttle alone. It returns in a few secs but goes off again as I grind on. The batt was half spent and it had not occurred earlier when it was fresh. Any ideas? 'Voltage sag' whatever that is....?

johnc461165

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 19, 2011
WN6
Why on earth do you have to justify you choice of bike, it's your money, your choice and if you enjoy your bike then that's all that matters. best of luck. John

Reactions: dr bob

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
Delboy - by just asking a question here!

I've got a Q.
I added a fair bit of solder to one end of the controller shunt (as in the mod in the technical section). Haven't noticed a great deal of increased power - a smidge maybe. I wonder if my novice soldering is naff - should I have melted the solder already there rather than just lumping new stuff on top of it ie poor connection?
Also now for the first time I noticed the power going off when grinding up a 5% slope on throttle alone. It returns in a few secs but goes off again as I grind on. The batt was half spent and it had not occurred earlier when it was fresh. Any ideas? 'Voltage sag' whatever that is....?
DSC00025.jpg

I filled in the corner, where the screwdriver is pointing, with solder. The corner on the bend of the shunt, not the circuit board!
Solder should be melted with existing solder on joint.
You are looking to reduce the electrical resistance of the shunt, so the better the job, the more effective this mod is.

The problem with your bike power cutting off, may be due to poor electrical contact, where the battery connectors slot onto the bike's prongs.
Dip a cotton bud in rubbing alcohol, white vinegar or vodka :p and clean the contacts at the bottom of the battery thoroughly. Make sure you get right inside.
Also, use a fresh cotton bud with the solution to clean both prongs on the bike.

The power cut-off is unlikely to be voltage sag, as you mention. I have found that once the Cyclamatic battery reaches its BMS cut-off point, then that's it. The bike has to be cycled home for a battery recharge.

Last edited:

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
anyone had problems with chain jumping off front sprocket? usually after changing down , not pedaling, very annoying !especially when you arrive at work covered in grease
This happens to mine on the odd occasion.
Unfortunately I haven't been able to adjust the drive train to stop this from occuring.
I carry a small screwdriver with me to put the chain back on, without getting my hands dirty ;)

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
If you change down a derailleur while not pedalling, it can put a twist into the chain which will increase the risk of the chain jumping off. Back pedalling is another thing that increases the risk. It's always best to continue pedalling with sufficient pressure to maintain chain tension during a derailleur gear change.

Old Timer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 5, 2009
If you change down a derailleur while not pedalling, it can put a twist into the chain which will increase the risk of the chain jumping off. Back pedalling is another thing that increases the risk. It's always best to continue pedalling with sufficient pressure to maintain chain tension during a derailleur gear change.
Agreed Flecc
+ check alignment from chain ring to gears, you might find like I did once that I needed to grind the sq crank shaft a touch to move the ring in for better alignment( I think it was the folder when I put a larger ring on)

Dave

delboy

Aug 24, 2011
Thanks, tried adjusting chain tension, so will see how that goes , did think of shortening chain as it does seem like slackness , as sometimes happens over a bump, meantime will try the screwdriver !

delboy

Aug 24, 2011
Agreed Flecc
+ check alignment from chain ring to gears, you might find like I did once that I needed to grind the sq crank shaft a touch to move the ring in for better alignment( I think it was the folder when I put a larger ring on)

Dave
looks ok by sight , do you use a straight edge to check ?

delboy

Aug 24, 2011
36v battery

Somwhere on here I read that you can use the 36v battery on the Cyclamatic, as the controller & motor are high rated , these batterys are easily available on Ebay, so wondered if anyone had tried it, Didnt want to fry my bike as I would imagine parts are very trick to get

Willin'

Pedelecer
Apr 2, 2011
Somwhere on here I read that you can use the 36v battery on the Cyclamatic, as the controller & motor are high rated , these batterys are easily available on Ebay, so wondered if anyone had tried it, Didnt want to fry my bike as I would imagine parts are very trick to get
I would be interested as well - would be nice to add a few more miles onto the range I am getting a the moment (I've never got further than 17.5 miles so far on the 24v battery).

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
I'm on the case guys and gals, as I write this.
Thanks to a wonderful member of the Pedelecs community, who kindly donated their 36v battery to me in the name of science.
Just waiting for a rear rack and a few bits and pieces, so should all be done by the end of next week.

It'll be interesting to see if the controller works at the higher voltage.
Also, whether there are any performance benefits.
Then' I'll be road testing the set-up to see if it is reliable.
Unfortunately, a range test would be fairly pointless, as the battery is fairly old and I have no idea how much juice it has left.

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Could be an idea to alert the Guinness Book of Records that it's an attempt on the "shortest ever e-bike ride" record. :rolleyes:

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
Could be an idea to alert the Guinness Book of Records that it's an attempt on the "shortest ever e-bike ride" record. :rolleyes:
Hee hee, you could be right there flecc.
However, I do have faith in the old girl, and according to the controller manufacturer's website, it's capable of using 24,36 and 48v.
Also, the caps are rated at 63v, so fingers crossed ;)

NRG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2009
Naughty! :D

delboy

Aug 24, 2011
I'm on the case guys and gals, as I write this.
Thanks to a wonderful member of the Pedelecs community, who kindly donated their 36v battery to me in the name of science.
Just waiting for a rear rack and a few bits and pieces, so should all be done by the end of next week.

Then' I'll be road testing the set-up to see if it is reliable.
Unfortunately, a range test would be fairly pointless, as the battery is fairly old and I have no idea how much juice it has left.
well anyone heard from Fordulike , ?? or did the 36v batter incinerate him ,

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
well anyone heard from Fordulike , ?? or did the 36v batter incinerate him ,
Nope, I haven't been flame grilled :eek:
I fitted the battery and it took the voltage ok.
Performance was greatly improved.
Unfortunately, I think I blew one or more hall sensors on a test run.
Therefore, I've ordered a 36v sensorless controller, and hope to get the beast back on the road for some more testing :D

delboy

Aug 24, 2011
Good news & bad news then, Doesnt sound like a straightforward exchange, unless its via the nearest controller shop ?