Help! Legal e-bike kit

Adamroze

Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2021
Hi guys, so I’m interested in converting my push bike into an ebike, looking for a EAPC compliant conversion kit so 250w, 15.5mph max speed and no throttle etc.

So far I’ve seen in some forums that the Bafang BBS01 mid drive, seems like a decent option, as it’s got 80Nm of torque also. It’s also shown on some uk bike shops like Brighton ebikes that it’s fully legal.

However I’ve noticed that on the LCD displays that come with the Bafang or other similar kits, you are able to adjust the speed limit in some hidden menu/ advanced settings.

Wouldn’t this make the Bafang kits illegal? As I have also seen off-road switches aren’t allowed.
If so please can you recommend any bike kit that’s decent and EAPC compliant, that have no speed derestricting settings on displays please

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Wouldn’t this make the Bafang kits illegal?
Bafang has obtained EN15194 for their BBS01B kit.
Your kit is supplied conform to EAPC rules and as long as you don't change the settings (other than wheel diameter to your correct wheel size), you have nothing to worry about.

Adamroze

Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2021
That’s good to know if it’s EN15194 certified, do you happen to have a screen shot or know where the BBS01B’s EN15194 cert is? Coudn’t find anything on thier Bafang web site please

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I will upload their en15194 and ukca certificates here for you tomorrow when I get to the office.

Reactions: Adamroze

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Hi guys, so I’m interested in converting my push bike into an ebike, looking for a EAPC compliant conversion kit so 250w, 15.5mph max speed and no throttle etc.

So far I’ve seen in some forums that the Bafang BBS01 mid drive, seems like a decent option, as it’s got 80Nm of torque also. It’s also shown on some uk bike shops like Brighton ebikes that it’s fully legal.

However I’ve noticed that on the LCD displays that come with the Bafang or other similar kits, you are able to adjust the speed limit in some hidden menu/ advanced settings.

Wouldn’t this make the Bafang kits illegal? As I have also seen off-road switches aren’t allowed.
If so please can you recommend any bike kit that’s decent and EAPC compliant, that have no speed derestricting settings on displays please
In case you don't know, throttles are not illegal. The only rule is that power must stop when you stop pedalling if you're going faster than 6km/hr. Many kits have systems where the throttle can be set to comply. the throttle is an extremely useful device to instantly over-ride your pedal assist setting to get a burst of power when you need it rather than to push the pedal assist button 4 times up and 4 times down every time you come to a roundabout or humpback bridge.

Adamroze

Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2021
In case you don't know, throttles are not illegal. The only rule is that power must stop when you stop pedalling if you're going faster than 6km/hr. Many kits have systems where the throttle can be set to comply. the throttle is an extremely useful device to instantly over-ride your pedal assist setting to get a burst of power when you need it rather than to push the pedal assist button 4 times up and 4 times down every time you come to a roundabout or humpback bridge.
Ah yes I’ve heard of the throttle being upto 6kmh is legal, it would deffo help . Only thing is majority of police don’t know about this feature which could lead to a bike being wrongly ceased. London police go after throttles pretty harshly

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Ah yes I’ve heard of the throttle being upto 6kmh is legal, it would deffo help . Only thing is majority of police don’t know about this feature which could lead to a bike being wrongly ceased. London police go after throttles pretty harshly
I've never heard of anybody getting pulled up or questioned about a throttle. Even if they don't know about it, you can put them right. the only thing they check is whether the bike zooms along above 20 mph without pedalling

Az.

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2022
Plymouth
For commuting to work and gym and other journey's , 20 miles a day, just looking for something as easy as possible to peddle
Hub motor might be better option for you. More reliable, easier to install, cheaper to buy and to maintain.

Adamroze

Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2021
I've never heard of anybody getting pulled up or questioned about a throttle. Even if they don't know about it, you can put them right. the only thing they check is whether the bike zooms along above 20 mph without pedalling
Yh that’s fair I would ofc put them right, ah that’s fair then . Should be fine if my bikes 15.5mph.

Az.

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2022
Plymouth
Any EAPC compliant hub motors with decent torque you can suggest?
I use Yose.

Cheap, reliable, but you can buy better stuff.

Better quality, better CS, more expensive. If you email them, Andy will guide you and tailor kit to your needs.

thelarkbox

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2023
oxon
I too installed a yose-power rear wheel kit last summer, and have been very pleased with it.
I wasnt a member in here or aware of Woosh when I dove in head first..

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Derestrict mode/remove speed limit
All electric bikes can be de-restricted one way or another. They can't all be illegal. The guys, who wrote the legislation, are not engineers. They don't have a clue how ebikes work. They envisioned a big red button on the handlebars that released some sort of explosive power when you pressed it. That's what they mean is an illegal switch, not a laptop and cable, phone in your pocket or secret button sequence in the LCD.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk