Help! Legal e-bike kit

Adamroze

Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2021
48V rear hub seems like an optimal solution for you. 48V is maximum legal voltage. It will give you extra omph.
Also keep in mind legal limit is on motor rated power, not on power provided by controller, so you can have very powerful legal bike if you want to.
Yes understand that’s thanks

Adamroze

Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2021
A 48v 17A controller will give you 816w on maximum. For this you would need a battery capable of delivering at least 20A. Note this 20amps not 20Ah, this is the capacity.
Here's an AKM100cst 250w as an example. Although rated at 36v, if you bought the 201rpm version and ran it at 48v it would give you the rpm you need.
Of course it depends on gear mounting, cassette or screw on.

Although , as a first time conversion, it might be wise to give Woosh a go. You'll get all the advice you need prior to buying.
Ok I see so a decent controller with higher Amps, yh I’m most likely going to go with woosh

Adamroze

Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2021
So looking onto woosh, I see Bafangs mid drive with 2 versions and also the hub drive with 2 versions. A 36v and 48v version. Is the 48v mid/hubs from the manufacturer or has woosh kinda custom made them to increase torque?

If it's custom, does the 48v hub/mid motor become more likely to break down or be less efficient on mileage compared to 48v that’s made from manufacturer?

Thanks for the advice guys btw really appreciate it.

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
AFAIK woosh has their kits set up to be legal and robust with only limited user changeable elements. This is to make sure the kits last, and not generate warranty issues. I think his 48v motors are made as such, not 36v ones run at 48.
As hubs do not drive through the chain etc. they tend to be lower maintenance. Also there are no problems with chain line or bottom bracket dimensions. Most need 140mm between dropouts. Photo's to woosh before purchase should catch any niggles.

Adamroze

Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2021
AFAIK woosh has their kits set up to be legal and robust with only limited user changeable elements. This is to make sure the kits last, and not generate warranty issues. I think his 48v motors are made as such, not 36v ones run at 48.
As hubs do not drive through the chain etc. they tend to be lower maintenance. Also there are no problems with chain line or bottom bracket dimensions. Most need 140mm between dropouts. Photo's to woosh before purchase should catch any niggles.
An I see thanks

Peter.Bridge

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 19, 2023
So looking onto woosh, I see Bafangs mid drive with 2 versions and also the hub drive with 2 versions. A 36v and 48v version. Is the 48v mid/hubs from the manufacturer or has woosh kinda custom made them to increase torque?

If it's custom, does the 48v hub/mid motor become more likely to break down or be less efficient on mileage compared to 48v that’s made from manufacturer?

Thanks for the advice guys btw really appreciate it.
I think the 48V Woosh hub is a hub that is manufactured for 48V and also has a very high torque winding, so it is optimised for hill climbing / heavy riders rather than (a very illegal) derestricted top assist speed. There are 48v motors around, with a similar controller power , that probably have a top assist speed of 28 mph but not as good as hill climbing. You can set the max assist speed on the Woosh kits, but I think there top speed is likely to be low 20s.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
BBS01 comes via Bafang configured wound for 36v or 48v.

Reactions: Adamroze

Adamroze

Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2021
I think the 48V Woosh hub is a hub that is manufactured for 48V and also has a very high torque winding, so it is optimised for hill climbing / heavy riders rather than (a very illegal) derestricted top assist speed. There are 48v motors around, with a similar controller power , that probably have a top assist speed of 28 mph but not as good as hill climbing. You can set the max assist speed on the Woosh kits, but I think there top speed is likely to be low 20s.
Yh the 48v hub seems great with its high torque, yh I’m just looking for something as legal as possible so I’ll be staying at 15.5mph