Adamroze

Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2021

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Ah I see, would this mean that Bafang bbs01b or TSDZ2 isn’t technically legal now? Since it’s not got EN15194 or did you mean the new certificate is the same as EN15194
No, it does not mean that. You asked for EN15194 certificates, I was looking for them where I downloaded before.
Manufacturers do not need to test each and everyone of their product. Certificates are only valid for 3 years but manufacturers don't need to get the same product re-certified after the validity runs out.
Manufacturers can issue certificate of conformity for a similar product to the one that has been certificated. If you ask Bafang, they can issue a certificate of conformity to you. The same applies to the Tongsheng TSDZ2B kits.

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Ah I see, would this mean that Bafang bbs01b or TSDZ2 isn’t technically legal now? Since it’s not got EN15194 or did you mean the new certificate is the same as EN15194
You don't need an EN15194 cert for a bike to be legal in UK. All you need are:
  • Motor RATED at 250w or less
  • Assistance cut above 15.5 mph
  • Assistance stops when you stop pedalling
  • A label that shows key info.
  • The bike can be pedalled without power

Obviously all the regulations that apply to non-assisted bikes also have to be considered. Technically, the max voltage allowed is a 48v battery, but that's not tied down tightly enough to argue either way whether you can go higher.

I only looked at one court case, where the legality of the bike was in dispute. The Judge simply went through the above 5 points. In that case, it failed on the last point.

Reactions: Adamroze

Adamroze

Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2021
No, it does not mean that. You asked for EN15194 certificates, I was looking for them where I downloaded before.
Manufacturers do not need to test each and everyone of their product. Certificates are only valid for 3 years but manufacturers don't need to get the same product re-certified after the validity runs out.
Manufacturers can issue certificate of conformity for a similar product to the one that has been certificated. If you ask Bafang, they can issue a certificate of conformity to you. The same applies to the Tongsheng TSDZ2B kits.
Ahh ok I see what you mean, glad it’s fine and thanks for the advice

Adamroze

Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2021
You don't need an EN15194 cert for a bike to be legal in UK. All you need are:
  • Motor RATED at 250w or less
  • Assistance cut above 15.5 mph
  • Assistance stops when you stop pedalling
  • A label that shows key info.
  • The bike can be pedalled without power

Obviously all the regulations that apply to non-assisted bikes also have to be considered. Technically, the max voltage allowed is a 48v battery, but that's not tied down tightly enough to argue either way whether you can go higher.

I only looked at one court case, where the legality of the bike was in dispute. The Judge simply went through the above 5 points. In that case, it failed on the last point.
Oh right that’s the main 5 points ok thanks. Oh really so they failed on the “the bike can be pedalled without power” thought all e-bikes when turned off can be peddled but ofc harder difficulty

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Oh right that’s the main 5 points ok thanks. Oh really so they failed on the “the bike can be pedalled without power” thought all e-bikes when turned off can be peddled but ofc harder difficulty
It's just the extra mass that you have to deal with, typically around 8kg. So if you can imagine riding a normal bike while carrying 8kg of shopping, that's what it's like.

Adamroze

Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2021
It's just the extra mass that you have to deal with, typically around 8kg. So if you can imagine riding a normal bike while carrying 8kg of shopping, that's what it's like.
Ah yh I understand it would be heavy to peddle. But based on the court case, an e-bike too heavy could fail? So I can’t have 2/3 batteries installed as it would be heavy?

Az.

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2022
Plymouth
But based on the court case, an e-bike too heavy could fail? So I can’t have 2/3 batteries installed as it would be heavy?
It is not only added weight. There is an insane amount of mopeds dressed up as pedelecs. People simply add pedals and think they can ride moped without registration plates, accountability, insurance etc.

For example look at this "bike":

Seat is very low and you can't raise it up or lower it down. It would be very difficult to ride without assistance.

The other day I saw delivery rider on his bike without chain using throttle only. Hardly a legal pedelec that was.

Adamroze

Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2021
It is not only added weight. There is an insane amount of mopeds dressed up as pedelecs. People simply add pedals and think they can ride moped without registration plates, accountability, insurance etc.

For example look at this "bike":

Seat is very low and you can't raise it up or lower it down. It would be very difficult to ride without assistance.

The other day I saw delivery rider on his bike without chain using throttle only. Hardly a legal pedelec that was.

View attachment 56864
Ah yes I understand it being over the top haha fair point. I’m just interested in adding 2 batteries that are 36v20ah.

Az.

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2022
Plymouth
Ah yes I understand it being over the top haha fair point. I’m just interested in adding 2 batteries that are 36v20ah.
I don't think it would cause any problem with legality, although I don't understand why would you want to do that.

matthewslack

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2021
You'll be fine with that - no different to two panniers full of shopping.

Adamroze

Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2021
I don't think it would cause any problem with legality, although I don't understand why would you want to do that.
Well as a side hustle I do food delivery sometimes every week, so I think the extra mileage would be nice for that purpose. Roughly 20-25 hours every week.

Adamroze

Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2021
40ah battery to ride in london? Is there an electricity shortage down there or something?
40ah battery to ride in london? Is there an electricity shortage down there or something?
Haha using this bike for food delivery side hustle
You'll be the slowest food delivery bike in town :D
hahah I know, ill be stuck at 15.5 mph whilst others will be going 30+mph. But i ain’t risking it for 6 points on the licence!!.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Every food delivery bike I've ever seen used a hub motor. I believe they're selected for reliability, ease of repair at low cost.

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Ah yh I understand it would be heavy to peddle. But based on the court case, an e-bike too heavy could fail? So I can’t have 2/3 batteries installed as it would be heavy?
There's no legal weight limit. Amazon are using legal 250w trikes that carry up to 500kg.

Az.

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2022
Plymouth
Well as a side hustle I do food delivery sometimes every week, so I think the extra mileage would be nice for that purpose. Roughly 20-25 hours every week.
How many hours daily? Start with one battery and see how it goes. 20Ah is a lot.

Az.

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2022
Plymouth
Every food delivery bike I've ever seen used a hub motor. I believe they're selected for reliability, ease of repair at low cost.
I have seen one mid drive on delivery bike(only once in my life). I think it was Bafang BBSHD.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
bbshd full throttle max amps 20ah batt 17-20 miles, if it does not fall apart going 40mph.

m8 has 4 batts i cant catch it on the road anyway drops me 50m from standing start :eek:

20230624_210547[1].jpg

both are about 24kg just mine wont fall to bits off road ;)