Need help selecting ebike

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
does it really matter? the other thread is pretty much concluded.

Warwick

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 24, 2015
Warwick
A geared machine will give you more options, for sure. The Ridgeback I converted with the Automatix hub wasn't a particularly good basic machine, but the FWD/Automatix system worked well. I adjusted the gearing by fitting a smaller rear sprocket to raise it. Once I'd done that, I could max out at about 20MPH. Anything faster and my legs would be spinning rather too fast.

The Oxygen e-Mate MTB is at the other end of the spectrum. It's a very good machine indeed and something of a bargain (if £1350 can be considered that way!). It has 27 gears (though I'm in the big front ring nearly all of the time) and is very well specced at the price. I've reviewed mine in the Reviews board.

I've had a Woosh and basically it fell apart on my relatively undemanding commute. The componentry is rustic and it's a cheap bike with a decent drive system and battery. The Oxygen is a very good bike with a very good drive system - albeit at a significant premium over the Woosh.

Artstu

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2009
does it really matter? the other thread is pretty much concluded.
In the grand scheme no, but if you only read one thread you miss the finer details of the requirements, so in that sense I find it annoying, and it happens too often.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
warwick, aren't you a bit harsh? the bike rack broke - the rest did not fall apart. The second hand CDL that you had has 700C rims with narrow tyres, your Oxygen has MTB tyres, they are suited to different road surfaces. The £869 Woosh Sport is nearer in characteristics to your Oxygen. Similar motor, controller, battery, tyres, gears, shocks. The brakes on the Sport are Avid, much improved over the Zoom on your second hand CDL. The wide tyres are also better suited for your terrains.

http://wooshbikes.co.uk/?sport

Last edited:

Andy88

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 6, 2016
Ayrshire
I wondered that, in future posts I'll keep it all together but I keep finding different issues felt it might muddle if kept in the same thread.

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Artstu

Andy88

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 6, 2016
Ayrshire
warwick, aren't you a bit harsh? the bike rack broke - the rest did not fall apart. Bike designs improve all the time. The second hand CDL that you had has 700C rims with narrow tyres, your Oxygen has MTB tyres, they are suited to different road surfaces. The £869 Woosh Sport is nearer in characteristics to your Oxygen. Similar motor, controller, battery, tyres, shocks. The brakes on the Sport are Avid, much improved over the Zoom on your second hand CDL.

http://wooshbikes.co.uk/?sport
This raises another point, how to reduce punctures to a minimum? Can the tyres on any ebike be easily upgraded? Are bike tyres standard?

JuicyBike

Trade Member
Jan 26, 2009
Derbyshire
Im considering a juicy bike but can I get one with a throttle? I understand new law only permits up to 6kmph but if i take the responsibility can I get the dealer to de restrict this so I can use it up to 15.5 as I'm led to believe if at all it won't be enforced till 2018.

Andy

As a matter of courtesy we do explain how to reconfigure our bike throttles to take advantage of local laws where throttles to 15mph are allowed.
Bikes leave our shops configured to UK law - restricted to 4mph.
Akin to showing a17 year old how to make their new car travel at 110 mph but hopefully in no way as irresponsible.

Reactions: oldtom

Andy88

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 6, 2016
Ayrshire
Thanks, that's what I was hoping. BTW im 62, I'm hoping that I'll be fine peddling however I always like to keep my options open.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
how to reduce punctures to a minimum?
besides avoiding debris and potholes, keep your tyres inflated to the recommended pressure.
There are three types of tyres: normal tyres, tyres with kevlar bead, commonly called puncture resistant tyres, tyres with puncture protection, commonly called puncture proof tyres (eg Schwalbe marathon plus).
Puncture proof tyres are best for the purpose.
Woosh bikes are normally fitted with Kenda kevlar tyres.

Reactions: Andy88

Andy88

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 6, 2016
Ayrshire
besides avoiding debris and potholes, keep your tyres inflated to the recommended pressure.
There are three types of tyres: normal tyres, tyres with kevlar bead, commonly called puncture resistant tyres, tyres with puncture protection, commonly called puncture proof tyres (eg Schwalbe marathon plus).
Puncture proof tyres are best for the purpose.
Woosh bikes are normally fitted with Kenda kevlar tyres.
You've worked hard on this and dealt with the snipes well. Where are you located in the event I buy a woosh, which is on the short list.

Andy88

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 6, 2016
Ayrshire
Thanks you've worked hard on this, woosh is on my list, let me know where you are located.

Warwick

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 24, 2015
Warwick
Warwick, aren't you a bit harsh? the bike rack broke - the rest did not fall apart.
No, I don't think so. The rack breaking was the last straw. The gear derailleur needed replacing; the seatpost bolt didn't work & was replaced; the saddle was terrible and was replaced; the suspension seatpost was cheap & nasty; the suspension forks were heavy and ineffective (& were about to be replaced); the front brake was weak and replaced with an Avid BB7 and the Kenda tyres were puncture-prone. I got it secondhand with 200 miles on the clock and it lasted <1000 miles more before I gave up on it. The battery and motor were very good, but the basic machine they were fitted to wasn't.

I like the way Woosh have gone with the Karoo, but not their older machines.

On another note; Marathon Plus Tyres aren't puncture-proof. They are very puncture resistant, but not 100%. Having said that, I use them, but I still carry a puncture kit with me.

• Informative
Reactions: Artstu

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
woosh did update a number of items you mentioned. Yours was one of the early ones. The derailleur on the later Sirocco CD bikes are RD M360-GSD (Acera), the suspension seat post was replaced by a non-suspension, the saddle got also replaced and the brakes are now Avid.
The tyres will soon also be replaced by new tyres with 5mm puncture protection.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
yes in the past (Sundowner, Sunbear, Zephyr CDN), but currently only the Gallego has Nexus hubgear. Woosh may still have Sunbears in stock, but they have larger frame and 700C wheels, you need to be 5ft11 or more to be comfortable on it. The Sunbear has Nexus 7-speed.

http://wooshbikes.co.uk/?sunbear

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
yes, PAS, full throttle, LCD, 15AH, 7-speed.
It has the same electrics as the Big Bear but in low step large frame.
The main difference is the Nexus-7 hub gear and fully enclosed chainguard.

Andy88

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 6, 2016
Ayrshire
yes, PAS, full throttle, LCD, 15AH, 7-speed.
It has the same electrics as the Big Bear but in low step large frame.
The main difference is the Nexus-7 hub gear and fully enclosed chainguard.

Im 178cm tall, I prefer low step, had a nasty accident on a top bar when I was a kid. How old is the design of this bike?