Oxydrive kits

• Thread starter Deleted member 4366
  • Start date

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Before I ordered Oxydrive I was considering the MXUS 04 250rpm cst but at 265 euro seemed a bit steep with out shipping.But am interested in thinner magnet ring/s.

baldylox

Pedelecer
May 25, 2012
Hants/Wilts border
Have got a confirmation e-mail from the Austrians, will let you know what delivery will be. It might be interesting to see what else they may stock at the same time if useful.
I just got back from my first off road trip with the oxydrive.
Got plastered in mud after a 15 mile blast through the woods and thoroughly enjoyed it. The throttle plus pedaling kept me flying along the tracks, uphill and down averaging 18 mph. I did get a momentary lapse of power when the throttle appeared to have no effect but a blip (on/off) of the throttle bought it back.
I also thought I could smell burning at one point but after I got home the battery and controller felt slightly warm, tepid really but certainly not hot.
Removed battery, covered the controller connects and gave the bike a hose down, should all be waterproof enough?
Oh and the motor does have a noticeable noise but not too much.

Last edited:

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Averaging 18mph on trails is cracking on.

A hose down shouldn't do the electrics any harm, although I would go very easy on the connections.

As I'm sure you know, too much water power is no good for the rest of the bike anyway, so your cleaning regime shouldn't change a lot.

baldylox

Pedelecer
May 25, 2012
Hants/Wilts border
Averaging 18mph on trails is cracking on.

A hose down shouldn't do the electrics any harm, although I would go very easy on the connections.

As I'm sure you know, too much water power is no good for the rest of the bike anyway, so your cleaning regime shouldn't change a lot.
I have to say I was pleasantly surprised by the way it got along the trails, the bike has always been good at soaking up the bumps and the use of the throttle around the tricky stuff made for easy going. I was using the full power settings so may wind it down a bit next time.
Once back on the road I was pedalling with throttle assist at a relatively easy 24mph according to the display and an independent cycle-pooter, I'll have to check with GPS speed on smart phone to be sure.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 4366

I found that I could pedal the Oxygen MTB (27.5" wheels) at a constant 24 mph on the flat. It made power beyond that, but it dropped off rapidly.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
I have to say I was pleasantly surprised by the way it got along the trails, the bike has always been good at soaking up the bumps and the use of the throttle around the tricky stuff made for easy going. I was using the full power settings so may wind it down a bit next time.
Once back on the road I was pedalling with throttle assist at a relatively easy 24mph according to the display and an independent cycle-pooter, I'll have to check with GPS speed on smart phone to be sure.
Power on the trails and decent road speed.

Sounds like a very capable set up.

Ian_Fearn

Pedelecer
Nov 16, 2007
I did 25 miles on mine today running errands and doing chores. Have used my legs a lot more than on my work commute. This would have previously cost a gallon of petrol and been a generally stressful journey.

Just got back, not feeling knackered, just kept warm in the cold weather and a general feeling of having found a better way to get around.

I've not charged the battery either yet!

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
Got say it again baldylox, that is a nice looking bike. :)

Not so keen on the handlebar end of Ian's set up, but the kit still looks very good on there.
Ian, that wasn't meant as any criticism to you or the bike, so please don't think that is was. I just happen to prefer a more minimalist look, which obviously conflicts with day to day practical fitment. :)

I've enjoyed reading this thread and seeing how people are getting along fitting the kit.

It's a good looking kit, that's for sure.

Last edited:
Reactions: Staffordshirehills

baldylox

Pedelecer
May 25, 2012
Hants/Wilts border
Got say it again baldylox, that is a nice looking bike. :)

Not so keen on the handlebar end of Ian's set up, but the kit still looks very good on there.

Oxydrive made a good job with that kit.
Thanks Eddie, I think those who got hold of the oxydrive kits while on offer got an absolute steal!
I have to admit that I've only had the bile for a year or so, got it off eBay for £700 and used it for my off road jaunts. I never really thought I'd electrify it, the plan was to add an e kit to my old Saracen.
I have ridden quite a few pre build ebikes and was toying with getting a KTM panny drive, I considered the e-race p to be the best at last year's Redhill event but too pricey when ridden back to back with some of the Kudos bikes.
I suppose when you consider the fact that the oxydrive kit matched to my trance runs in at around £1200, I don't think I could get anything else comparable with the money or even double that.

Last edited:
Reactions: EddiePJ

Ian_Fearn

Pedelecer
Nov 16, 2007
I agree with you eddy. I prefer the minimal look but you need the throttle and lcd display. Without the extender I couldnt get all the wires to connect, theyre just a bit too short.

I would like the display on the stem but again the wires are too short.

I Would welcome other ideas on this if you have any.

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
Thanks Ian, I really didn't want you think that I was being picky, I wasn't and think that the bike looks great. :)

I'll have to try and give things some thought for you. Wires on anything are a complete pain the backside. A necessary evil.

As said, this has been an interesting inspirational thread.
I had tried to buy one of the kits myself, but couldn't access the checkout side of the site, and was working away from any phone reception during office hours. I did also email, but sadly received no response.

Last edited:

baldylox

Pedelecer
May 25, 2012
Hants/Wilts border
If I have any criticism of the kit and apart from the issues of the PAS not fitting certain bikes as previously discussed, it has to be the wiring being a bit too short for the handlebar accessories.
I am in fact seriously considering the approach Ian has taken to deal with the issue.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 4366

It's always a problem with kits. Every bike is different, so it's difficult to provide one that'll fit every bike; however, there's always something that you can do to make the bike fit the kit.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Although I'm still waiting to fit the electrics my first thought after looking at the components was the short wiring esp connecting to the lcd which I would prefer to be central. The BBS kit is the opposite and just a bit to much wiring. A waiting some spokes so I can rebuild my original rear rim then I can right the bike to carry on.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
selrahc when you opened your controller was there any thing that looked like shunt in there?

selrahc1992

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 10, 2014
selrahc when you opened your controller was there any thing that looked like shunt in there?
Sadly not as far as I could see - see the pics earlier in this topic - perhaps d8veh can see another way to overamp things?

D

Deleted member 4366

There must be a shunt. If you show me some decent photos, I can point to it. The ones shown had all the wires in the way.

selrahc1992

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 10, 2014
There must be a shunt. If you show me some decent photos, I can point to it. The ones shown had all the wires in the way.
dear all - my apologies for this not being great (cheap digital camera and I'm too ninny to actually destroy it by removing the wires permanently before the new one's arrived - here are some more pics that hopefully help:

Attachments

• Useful
Reactions: daniele