What's in a Name? Or, We Want Our Name Back!

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Was that just from that company's name Miles, or have you seen the same hidden meaning as me?

O = Wheel
2 = Two of them
+ = Electric

Bet you'll say yes anyway! :p

Miles

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 4, 2006
I'm glad you spotted it, flecc ;)

Which company's that? The mobile phone one, or The Dome? :p

Miles

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 4, 2006
Maybe " -CO2 " would be appropriate, too :)

Last edited:

JohnInStockie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2006
Stockport, SK7
What about something like 'CFV' for 'Carbon Friendly Vehicle'?

Cyberbyke

Last edited:
Nov 10, 2006
Midlands
Or Envirobike
Ahh the good old lithium "envirobike". It replaced the "cadmium classic".

I have doubts about boasting on the electric bike green credentials.
The last environmentalist -I spoke to- heard about my two "envirobikes" and my lpg car and still claimed that really I should get a "normal" bike or a f^%^%g horse!! :(

You can`t win with environmental people, they won`t be happy until there is a cull of people..

On a side note I asked him where he took his family on holiday-Flew to Spain- and pointed out that his carbon footprint was significantly greater than mine.:p

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I agree, the Envirobike suggestion was tongue in cheek, not my style.

As for your environmentalist, you could also have reminded him about the horse's polluting exhaust which includes copious quantities of methane, a greenhouse gas.

Not to mention clogging our tyre treads. :mad:

redalpha3

Pedelecer
Oct 31, 2006
How about starting a magazine of reviews to help prospective purchasers? We could call it Watt Bike?...or not!:eek:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Brilliant Pete. :D

I suppose it would have to have a Cell your Bike ads page, and another page for Current News.

I'd better stop it now!

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
They even do 4 up ones too, recumbent front kid pedalling, toddler behind bars (!), upright parent pedalling and steering, and kid in child seat behind. All with no motor. If their country wasn't flat, they'd have to level it.

rsscott

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 17, 2006
Maybe it's a post-fossil fuel school bus :D

They even do 4 up ones too, recumbent front kid pedalling, toddler behind bars (!), upright parent pedalling and steering, and kid in child seat behind. All with no motor. If their country wasn't flat, they'd have to level it.

ITSPETEINIT

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 11, 2006
Mere, Wilts
MilesHellon:
Velocitron.......I like that (the bicycle lemon) can't see manufacturers beeing keen on that.
But the the car maker came close with Citroen
itspeteinit

coops

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 18, 2007
Manchester U.K.
exo-, intra-, extra- + -bike -cycle e.g. exobike, intrabike...

exo- meaning giving out, as in exothermic (releasing heat), or "outside of".
intra- meaning "within": powered within.
extra- meaning "beyond".

The i has the plus of shortening to ibike (could be short for intelligent bike - referring to the smart choice of the rider!) :D. There's always "superbike" too, in the true sense of "over & above" or "more than" :rolleyes:.

If you just want to be catchy, how about giga- or tera-bike, or to keep ahead of the times, peta- exa- zetta- or yetta-bike :D (the prefixes above mega- and giga-).

The most individual characteristics of these bikes to me are that they are human/electric hybrid-powered while retaining the energy efficient & mobility aspects of bikes: though they are clean, other vehicles also claim this.

Maybe someone else can find a better prefix or suffix, or alternative expressing the "hybrid" aspect? :)

Even the "bike" part needn't be retained: I like the acronym style names like HPV & ENV, but sadly IV has another usage & unwelcome association with bikes :rolleyes:.

Stuart.

Last edited:

coops

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 18, 2007
Manchester U.K.
Shortened forms:

superbike = sike/spike (ouch!).
yottabike = yobike / y-bike / yike!
zettabike = zike (but Sir Clive Sinclair got there first...).
petabike = petike / p-tike / pike!

(peta & zetta sound reminiscent of lambretta & vespa :D)

exo/exa/extra-bike = exike / xike (both pronounced "zike" :rolleyes: - I like that one).

hybrid-bike = h-bike / hybike / hike...

Or in the spirit of the "nano" catchphrase, but again keeping ahead of the times (using prefixes for smaller than nano-, to indicate economy & eficiency? ;):

pico-bike = p-bike
femto-bike
atto-bike
zepto-bike (sounds like a zippo lighter, or a Marx brother (Zeppo)!)
yocto-bike

("yocto" is way ahead of nano: 15 orders of magnitude (each a factor of 10) smaller... so way ahead of its time!).

I like the last one :D. Makes me think of "yomping" on a bike!
Stuart.

Last edited: