Wisper DaaHub arrives - what a bike!

TylerD

Pedelecer
Jul 8, 2010
......dont know how many summers you have left do you!. The American red Indians way of counting years by how many summers has always struck a cord.....
May you enjoy many more summers on your dream bike Eddie -sounds as though you've found what a lot of us are looking for :)

Oiseaux

Pedelecer
Jan 19, 2011
La roche Posay, Vienne, France
I will try and answer all the questions...

Oiseaux, probably less noisy then my 705/905 as for drag not a clue I'm afraid.....Also I dont ride an E bike with motor off, whats the point in that? but I will try it later....Why dont you get down to a wisper dealer and try an Alpino, it has the same motor? lol As for a battery in a bag, bloody awful solution and not for me! lol. Its a nicer bike then the KTM I think, spec better as well, but KTM climbs walls apparently, where this probably much nicer on the flats..Yipee!

[/QUOTE]
24th January 2010 13:35 #18 eddieo

By "the unit" I guess you mean the battery case? whatever the outcome with this design hickup have you managed to incorporate the battery within the frame do you think?

My needs are a little different then most. as when I retire I want to go on much longer motorhome trips. electricity for charging is not always available so a bike that I can detach the battery from, and ride as a normal bike has significant advantages. Plus I can buy a high spec alfina hub bike, that should keep the overall weight below 20kg another significant factor when motorhoming (weight always an issue) [/QUOTE]

And there was I thinking that you didn't see the point in riding with the motor turned off !!

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
Oiseaux, Have you seen latest spin test a few threads back?

You get wheel in a bag with this kit. its easy to change wheel back to original, remove battery then you have a normal bike again. If you knew me, you would know that on my summer trip to Italy last year 905 SE failed and it essentially ruined the cycling element of our Holiday, and I go away to cycle.... This was another reason for requiring something like the DaaHub setup, so that I wont ever be stuck again.

Have you not heard of inverters? charge as you drive? 2.5 hrs to partial full charge aparently...with a couple of decent leisure batteries you could recharge a bike easily enough when parked. "battery master" to protect engine battery? Even some Aires in France have electricity these days....

I have bought a Hi spec 8 speed hub geared bike as well (KTM Macina Cross) But I happen to prefer the XT gears as fitted to most high end bikes.......

I still see little point in buying an electric bike and riding unassisted though.....Maybe the Cytonex a better fit for you, but either of these kits deserves a decent donor bike..

Last edited:

vectra

Pedelecer
Feb 5, 2011
Eddieo.
Thank you for taking the time and trouble to carry out both tests. I'm impressed actually by the spin time achieved. Now, if only I could live with that battery position. In your opinion could it be fitted onto a standard rear rack?
Thank you.
Regards
vectra

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
Eddieo.
Thank you for taking the time and trouble to carry out both tests. I'm impressed actually by the spin time achieved. Now, if only I could live with that battery position. In your opinion could it be fitted onto a standard rear rack?
Thank you.
Regards
vectra
Happy to help!:)

While I except battery style/position not for everyone...Personaly I think sticking it on a rear rack criminal or at the least pretty daft after all the thought that has gone into it...., But thats just me.

You could fit it on seat stem just above rear rack very easily, and it is designed for this, but not for me! Problem fitting straight on rack is the docking arrangement, cant see how it would work.......I have always admired the BionX so to me this is an improvement, not as pretty for sure, but far more reasonably priced and UK/NZ design with excellent support....

kitchenman

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 9, 2010
Aberaeron, West Wales
Hi Alan

I can answer some of your questions, I will leave Eddie to answer the rest regarding the donor bike.

Motor: Dapu 250W 280rpm
Controller: Integrated into the battery dock
Throttle: Micro throttle, three speeds with cruise control
Battery: 37v 10Ah Lithium Polymer

Charger:

I will come back to you with images but they do have a cut out and a second charger costs £67.00.

All the best

David
Thanks. Need to fill those holes in my spreadsheet! If you have a google account then if you PM me I can share it with you and hopefully you can sign my petition to get the adminstrators to take over the maintenance ...

kitchenman

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 9, 2010
Aberaeron, West Wales
Alan all info on bike spec in link on first thread? (Oop's maybe not.....)

Evans Cycles | Specialized Crosstrail LTD Disc 2011 Hybrid Bike | Online Bike Shop

while this kit I guess will fit many a bike...It really deserves something special and then you have a marriage made in heaven!:D

Today: ride to flatten battery, then I will put on Lidl workstand (great value) sort out front disc brake (I have watched you tube vid twice:confused:) and do another SPIN TEST! (God only knows why)
Thanks. Could you measure the fork size for me? I suspect its 100 mm ...and was I right about the budget and actual cost?
Re: your ride to flatten the battery. Is that part of the conditioning process? After you flatten how long do you have to charge it for? a/ when conditioning (if you have to) and b/ under normal conditions ...
Thankds ...
btw - I withdraw my challenge. That was very silly and would probably be very dangerous. I surprised flecc hasn't been on to me about that! ..

Re: SPIN test. I'll do one too. Don't want to be left out! ..

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
Yes part of conditioning of battery. did not time it just went out... but partial full charge is apparently 2.5 hrs which is very good for my motorhoming and a more normal regime. should only have to do this FULL charge cycle twice? so data pretty irrelevant really...

100mm? do you mean where the motor sits?

Yes budget about £2100. I think £2000 OK for a GOOD bike. Some of the Bosch bikes and others are closer 3K? better spec for sure, but to much......... Up until the DaaHub my favourite bike was the X series Flyer and that is £5500:(

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Thanks. Need to fill those holes in my spreadsheet! If you have a google account then if you PM me I can share it with you and hopefully you can sign my petition to get the adminstrators to take over the maintenance ...
No problems Kitchenman

The charger weighs 1.2kg I will have an image for you on Monday.

Hi Tillson, re the positioning of the DaaHub dock and battery, simplifying matters considerably, our aim was to get the weight of the battery as far underneath the rider and as low in the frame as possible. When the battery is mounted on the seat post behind the rider the weight is nothing like as far back as on a rack mounted battery and in its forward position is far lower.

An electric bike kit of course is a compromise, battery position is important but so it ease of fitting the kit and removal/re-installation of the battery once the kit is fitted, I believe in DaaHub we have come pretty close to achieving our goals.

I am off to Munich now to discuss the final details of the 50kph Wisper for Germany next year, I have written to Anthony to comment and will post his comments asap.

All the best

David

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
btw - I withdraw my challenge. That was very silly and would probably be very dangerous. I surprised flecc hasn't been on to me about that! ..
Why would I do that? I think suicide is every individuals right, though Motorhead wouldn't be everyone's choice of funeral music. ;)

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
Why would I do that? I think suicide is every individuals right, though Motorhead wouldn't be everyone's choice of funeral music. ;)
Had a few drinks with Lemmy once, along with his mate Steve Jones (sex pistols guitarist)

its raining so further rides suspended...Need to get some sporty clip on mudguards, as dont want full ones (spoil the look?) also need a rear rack in black, also not to heavy looking, as that will spoil the look also......any recommendations?

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
SJS have a huge range to choose from. The link below starts them at £163, but change the order to show the prices the other way round to avoid a heart attack! There's also a "show all" option at the foot of the page:

Rear racks at SJS

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
cheers but link does not seem to work......