Sorry Guys,this new format is not working for Kudos

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Perhaps it would be clearer if they were renamed as "Proprietary Electric Bikes" and "DIY Constructed Electric Bikes" with a new general section entitled "General Electric Bike Usage" .
Maybe each member should have their own personal forum instead of all the others! :)

That would satisfy everyone and also force everyone to use the New Posts facility, so ensuring nothing need be missed.

GaRRy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 18, 2012
Tamworth
The reason I chose the Ezee Torque in that thread was because I believe for the commute that was indicated in that thread, the Ezee bike would do the job better, which in this context makes it a better quality bike. if you did a long commute on one, you'd know what i mean. It's comfortable, relaxed, long-legged, powerful and reliable.
But your mixing quality up with value for money and praticallity. Quality is to do with the build and finish not which is best for the job. A bugatti is better quality than a ford but i know which i would buy to commute to work.

D

Deleted member 4366

I was a quality consultant for 5 years before retiring from manufacturing to become a schoolteacher, so I have a pretty good idea what quality means. The definition for product quality that I taught was "the degree to which a product meets the customer's expectations". Whenever I ran a training course, we always debated the meaning of quality first.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Quality is to do with the build and finish not which is best for the job.
Not always, quality has many meanings and which is the most important can depend on the product and it's purpose.

My 4K TV with it's Triluminos display and magnetic fluid speakers is the ultimate currently for the sharpness of it's image, the accuracy and range of it's colours and it's TV sound quality. Despite all that and it's huge price, it's mass produced so normal production build quality.

I've no doubt that a top B & O set will be built and finished to a much higher standard.

But my TV is the best quality there is, for a TV's sole purpose is to present the best possible picture and sound and that is the only worthwhile measure, not it's furniture value.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
I said, it wouldn't last me 5 minutes
I know this is old history but this comment seems a little Clarkson-esque. At the very least, it cannot be substantiated.
Personally, I do not like Clarkson's attitude and presentation style although I do watch his program regularly, so I am a little accustomed to this sort of sting. Depending on how much you are allergic to Clarkson, it may sting a little or much.

barrycoll

Pedelecer
Sep 14, 2009
Not always, quality has many meanings and which is the most important can depend on the product and it's purpose.

My 4K TV with it's Triluminos display and magnetic fluid speakers is the ultimate currently for the sharpness of it's image, the accuracy and range of it's colours and it's TV sound quality. Despite all that and it's huge price, it's mass produced so normal production build quality.

I've no doubt that a top B & O set will be built and finished to a much higher standard.

But my TV is the best quality there is, for a TV's sole purpose is to present the best possible picture and sound and that is the only worthwhile measure, not it's furniture value.

Maybe some of the more senior members will recall the book, "Zen, and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance", the general thrust of which, was the whole concept of Quality. ....
Pirsig explores the meaning and concept of quality, a term he deems to be undefinable. Pirsig's thesis is that to truly experience quality one must both embrace and apply it as best fits the requirements of the situation. According to Pirsig, such an approach would avoid a great deal of frustration and dissatisfaction common to modern life...

although just how this relates to Kudos-Dave's original post is anybodies guess...
...all very interesting though

GaRRy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 18, 2012
Tamworth
I have some exciting new bikes due out over the next couple of months,some I know exactly meet the e-bike profile of Pedelec members. I will put my postings under the core section of the site 'electric bicycles',if I get moved then I will withdraw from the forum completely, for the forum is no longer meeting the needs of Kudos Cycles.
KudosDave
Am i the only one who finds this last part a bit of a "Do what i want or else statement"

Dave you have every right to point out you dont like the new format and also campaign for change but adding in threats however minor is IMHO wrong.

People on here have in the past got worked up at apparant pressure being put on admin to get posts and people removed by site advertisers.

To give credit you have at least said it in public rather than via PMs and private emails.

Reactions: Streethawk

Fish36

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jan 27, 2014
UK
Developing into a very interesting and highly pertinent thread with regard to the 'trade' input on the forum.

When a prospective purchaser asks 'which bike is best for my specific usage model' which is basically the question all us newbies are asking/thinking/considering...to state the obvious it is a question about e-bike suitability.

Every trade member on here no doubt represents some great e-bikes, be that bike £500 or £5k or anywhere in between. They are all no doubt great bikes to the right person.

What really matters to the potential purchaser is the suitability of the available/suggested bikes.

Quality of anything, in this case an e-bike, comes from that bike meeting the person in questions criteria of suitability, therefore by extension meeting their expectations.

A 100% Chinese bike with lower end components sourced 100% off the shelf with quite a hefty weight and no external design input may still be absolutely ideal, meet the persons criteria fully and therefore be a quality purchase they enjoy for many years, THEIR expectations fully met. It is however unlikely to be capable or suitable for some other usage models, but that doesn't mean it is not a quality purchase (for the right person).

I have seen some trade members contribute to a thread, understand the persons requirements and go on to recommend an e-bike from another supplier. There also seem to be some that recommend their brand regardless.

So back to Dave's point...a full description of each new bike to the market on the forum in a very visible place would be a very valuable contribution to the site. A story of how the bike was designed, what were the considerations in relation to specifying the components, what the supplier envisages the bike is suitable for (road and light trails/mainly off-road/long distance touring etc.) would be of great assistance to prospective purchasers.

A highly visible, really insightful description of new models has so many benefits to everyone (not just a few pic's and a spec, but as i said in my earlier post it needs to include the full back-story of development, how it was spec'd and why, and an overview of potential rider usage scenario suitability would be exceedingly helpful) and I can only see this type of posting enhancing what is already an excellent forum and place to learn about amazing e-bikes:)

eHomer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 20, 2012
Maybe each member should have their own personal forum instead of all the others! :)

That would satisfy everyone and also force everyone to use the New Posts facility, so ensuring nothing need be missed.

:) I take the basic point, and admit that too many things in life are over-complicated....

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
:) I take the basic point, and admit that too many things in life are over-complicated....
If each member had their own forum within pedelecs it would probably be an internet first and could create a stir. Pedelecs.co.uk could become famous, and maybe the idea of having a personal forum would attract many more members to our site.

It's a thought! ;)

rustic

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 31, 2008
North Essex
My beef with this relates to maybe a year or two ago where there seemed to be so many threads that I read at that time just descended into tediousness, where various trade members seemed to be thrusting their cycles forward onto potential customers who had come to this site looking for advice or information. Frankly, it became quite boring.

The final straw for me came when I once posted about my need for a larger electric bike as I am 6'5" tall and had struggled to find a suitable model that had a throttle option - I had dealers responding putting forward their 19" or 20" frame bikes forward as serious solutions - I stopped coming back at that point because I thought it was a bit beyond a joke, and was actually encouraging people to part with their hard earned cash for a product that was patently not appropriate to their needs.

Having said all that, I do think that trade posts on these forums should be welcomed as they are often very insightful, stir debate, interest and discussion and trade members are some of the most prolific and informed people here. It perhaps just needs a bit of moderation at times in my honest opinion.

Reactions: Kudoscycles

billadie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2010
Tewkesbury

"The cheaper Chinese bikes are OK for the average Joe who isn't a serious cyclist"

The reason that a Dutchman hasn't won the Tour de France for some time is that they are too busy cycling. The reason that the British have done so well is that here use of a bike has been turned in to a professional sport, for others to watch.

Joe Average;)

Reactions: emjaiuk and flecc

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
My beef with this relates to maybe a year or two ago where there seemed to be so many threads that I read at that time just descended into tediousness, where various trade members seemed to be thrusting their cycles forward onto potential customers who had come to this site looking for advice or information. Frankly, it became quite boring.

The final straw for me came when I once posted about my need for a larger electric bike as I am 6'5" tall and had struggled to find a suitable model that had a throttle option - I had dealers responding putting forward their 19" or 20" frame bikes forward as serious solutions - I stopped coming back at that point because I thought it was a bit beyond a joke, and was actually encouraging people to part with their hard earned cash for a product that was patently not appropriate to their needs.

Having said all that, I do think that trade posts on these forums should be welcomed as they are often very insightful, stir debate, interest and discussion and trade members are some of the most prolific and informed people here. It perhaps just needs a bit of moderation at times in my honest opinion.
trade posts are the best part of this forum if you simply ignore what they say about their own bikes.

Reactions: flecc