11000 watts/60 mph bike on ebay

D

Deleted member 4366

If the claim of 11kw is true (which I doubt), the battery would last for 2.8 minutes at full power. Im not sure how those brakes would stop it from 60mph, that's if the chain didn't snap first. I'm sure it's a fast bike, but it isn't really designed for it. Compare it with the 30mph bikes on the ES forum that have the best disk brakes, much larger tyres and stronger frames.

stevebills

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 14, 2010
If the claim of 11kw is true (which I doubt), the battery would last for 2.8 minutes at full power. Im not sure how those brakes would stop it from 60mph, that's if the chain didn't snap first. I'm sure it's a fast bike, but it isn't really designed for it. Compare it with the 30mph bikes on the ES forum that have the best disk brakes, much larger tyres and stronger frames.
I agree the bike is a cheap mtb with v brakes and u would have to be mad to ride it at 60 mph and if the chain snapped and took yer leg off u would look like a pirate for the rest of your days :D

pictsidhe

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jan 17, 2011
yegods that is an insane idea, shame it costs so much ;) I'm bit dubious about how the brakes/tyres would react to a 60mph stop, anyone know what Cedric Lynch tried?

fatts

Pedelecer
Dec 29, 2009
west wales
by reading your posts its not even worth looking at, as they say no matter how much you extol its virtues and polish it a turd is just that a turd.
A dangerous one at that.
well I looked what a loverly bike!

Last edited:

Xcytronex

Pedelecer
Jul 23, 2009
Looks o.k.
pretty nippy too !! Can't be sure but there appears to be a decent set of 'v' brakes on it-------possibly more effective stopping power than a disc ? Why all of the indignation the seller states openly the need to tax and insure for road use Whether it is value for money is purely subjective

stevebills

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 14, 2010
Looks o.k.
pretty nippy too !! Can't be sure but there appears to be a decent set of 'v' brakes on it-------possibly more effective stopping power than a disc ? Why all of the indignation the seller states openly the need to tax and insure for road use Whether it is value for money is purely subjective
I have disc brake on my Gary Fisher and they are miles better than V brakes on any bike I have ridden Xcytronex
The motor is the best part of this bike :D

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
"a B&S Etek motor that outputs around 18,000Watts PEAK 11,000Watts continuous"

The more we see of this sort of thing advertised as being in the UK, and the more Auroras and the like we see on the road, the more we hasten the day when there's a big crackdown.

Trying to emulate the US situation when in the UK or mainland Europe is going to be noticed, and you can be sure that this pedelecs forum is known of and regularly seen by the DfT who are currently reviewing the laws that apply to us.

Those who hope for a relaxation of the laws on power and throttles are going to have any hopes destroyed as and when the authorities become aware of the abuses of the current law. They are likely to react in the opposite way.

CeeGee

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 4, 2009
Weybridge, UK

The more we see of this sort of thing advertised as being in the UK, and the more Auroras and the like we see on the road, the more we hasten the day when there's a big crackdown.

Trying to emulate the US situation when in the UK or mainland Europe is going to be noticed, and you can be sure that this pedelecs forum is known of and regularly seen by the DfT who are currently reviewing the laws that apply to us.

Those who hope for a relaxation of the laws on power and throttles are going to have any hopes destroyed as and when the authorities become aware of the abuses of the current law. They are likely to react in the opposite way.
Very well said. I am in 100% agreement.
It won't just be power and throttles - it will be compulsory insurance and helmets, possibly for all cyclists, not just ebikes.

Colin

BLACKPANTHER

Pedelecer
Feb 21, 2010
Doncaster.
Quote....."it is only street legal if you MOT / TAX it which can be done for around 50 pounds, Cash or bank transfer accepted, I can post the Electric Bike at your expense, item will be well packaged and sent via special Courier. No Ripoff Paypal!"

Ermmm, how the heck could you get vehicle type approval so you could get an mot for this bits and bobs mish-mash piece of crap? If it could be done for 50 quid, why didn't he do it? 'Cos he's full of the proverbial. I feel like emailing him and asking if I bid and win, I'll pay him when he's mot'd it and I'll give him 50 quid extra!:rolleyes: :D

Also, I thought any ebayer MUST offer paypal as a payment option. This guy is mental.

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
He's got the notion from the £56 cost of a Single Vehicle Type Approval (SVA) test. This would never get any such approval though, not a chance of any sort. Apart from anything else, that's the cost for a 15 mph limited bike.

Xcytronex

Pedelecer
Jul 23, 2009
Flecc-
I don't think the Aurora is as fast as a Torq 1 [I may be wrong]- certainly not as as fast as your own well documented T 1 conversion. Possibly no faster than a multitude of re-geared Kalkoffs !!
It does appear to be excellent value for money though.

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008

This is very wise advice and even though the members of this forum only represent a small number of the UK electric bike owning public, it would be sensible if we heed it.

I have just had a look at the website for the Alien Aurora and I can't believe what mindless fools these people are. They actually promote the fact that the bike is illegal as some sort of selling point! It could be a well made bike, but it isn't for this country and to be an exponent of the illegality of electric bikes is just plain stupid. What a tosser!

When there is an accident in which someone is seriously injured by an illegal bike, and there will be, they are going to come right into the public's consciousness for all the wrong reasons. Even those who ride legal bikes will be tarnished by the behaviour of these idiots.

If you want to go fast, buy a motorbike. Don't try and be some sort of, "closet bad boy" who hasn't quite got enough courage to be full on naughty, by owning an illegal push bike.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Flecc-
I don't think the Aurora is as fast as a Torq 1 [I may be wrong]- certainly not as as fast as your own well documented T 1 conversion. Possibly no faster than a multitude of re-geared Kalkoffs !!
It does appear to be excellent value for money though.
All true, but I've got rid of the T1 which was mainly intended to improve on the originally poor hill climbing anyway with it's extra cells. Because of the intrinsic illegality of the original Torq, eZee abandoned it despite, or even because of, it's popularity, since Wai Won Ching recognised the legal risks.

The regeared Kalkhoffs are not very powerful since they use the same moderate power motor, they depend quite a lot on the rider for much of the performance as any e-bike can anyway.

The powerful Aurora now faces the same problem that the Torq 1 did, rapidly increasing popularity drawing too much attention to itself, and that's why I mentioned it in the same context. The degree of illegality won't concern the authorities, just the fact of the illegality.

Streethawk

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 12, 2011
I'd be quite happy if you could get a legal bike with the hill climbing power of the Aurora. At 21mph in pedelec mode, its only 1.5mph faster than the Cyclamatic, which is legal, barely enough to notice even. The stronger assistance up hills makes a huge difference though, and it being very hilly around here, thats the reason i bought it, well aware of the risks of it being illegal.

Xcytronex

Pedelecer
Jul 23, 2009
This is very wise advice and even though the members of this forum only represent a small number of the UK electric bike owning public, it would be sensible if we heed it.

I have just had a look at the website for the Alien Aurora and I can't believe what mindless fools these people are. They actually promote the fact that the bike is illegal as some sort of selling point! It could be a well made bike, but it isn't for this country and to be an exponent of the illegality of electric bikes is just plain stupid. What a tosser!

When there is an accident in which someone is seriously injured by an illegal bike, and there will be, they are going to come right into the public's consciousness for all the wrong reasons. Even those who ride legal bikes will be tarnished by the behaviour of these idiots.

If you want to go fast, buy a motorbike. Don't try and be some sort of, "closet bad boy" who hasn't quite got enough courage to be full on naughty, by owning an illegal push bike.
Maybe A to B voiced a valid point after all !!

The powerful Aurora now faces the same problem that the Torq 1 did, rapidly increasing popularity drawing too much attention to itself, and that's why I mentioned it in the same context. The degree of illegality won't concern the authorities, just the fact of the illegality.
.......and if more and more people drive illegal bikes, the authorities will/must react on this. And most time they dont react in the way we expect or what is sencefull ;-)

At time is not so much rules for e-bike´s and i apreciate this a lot,
but if more and more people riding the illegal bikes, there will come more rules and law´s and punishment and all the other thing´s.

all what we do, will have consequences

regards
frank

Last edited:

BLACKPANTHER

Pedelecer
Feb 21, 2010
Doncaster.
Ohhhhhh, c'mon. Alien do quite clearly state that the Aurora is not legal for road use, (unlike most firms.....what about the to553rs who sell the petol MB conversion kit). Alien promote it's hill climbing ability, which it has in spades. As for its top speed, I does less than 20mph on throttle only. A lot of other ebikes will come within a whisker of that. Last week I overtook a lycra chap on a racer going uphill. He was doing 15 mph so I hardly blasted past him. On the straight he came back past, and left me for dead. The fact is that my Dawes non electric has a much faster top speed than my 'illegal' Aurora and I would've given him a real run for his money if I'd been on it.

The law is a bit of an ass, but I do acknowledge that the law is the law. You pays your money, you takes your chance.

I ride a CBF1000. My previous bike was a 175mph Blackbird so I know all about being 'full on naughty'. My point? I didn't do 175 mph (often). I respected the speed limits, unless it was completely safe to open it up on rural roads. The same applies to the Aurora. I don't go flat out where there are pedestrians around. I ride safely. A bit of common sense is all that's required.

Last edited:

Streethawk

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 12, 2011
I ride a CBF1000. My previous bike was a 175mph Blackbird so I know all about being 'full on naughty'. My point? I didn't do 175 mph (often). I respected the speed limits, unless it was completely safe to open it up on rural roads. The same applies to the Aurora. I don't go flat out where there are pedestrians around. I ride safely. A bit of common sense is all that's required.
And another Aurora owning motorcyclist here, with an even faster 196mph ZX12R, which has never seen its top speed in my ownership. I really dont draw any performance parallels between the two machine when one is 10x as fast as the other, and ten times the weight.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Alien do quite clearly state that the Aurora is not legal for road use, (unlike most firms............................Alien promote it's hill climbing ability, which it has in spades. As for its top speed, I does less than 20mph on throttle only. A lot of other ebikes will come within a whisker of that.
Indeed, it isn't that potent in speed terms, though clearly a bit illegal in power terms.

But as I said above, it isn't the degree of illegality that counts with the authorities, just the fact of it. When a pair of people engage in a theft and one takes a larger share of the proceeds, they still both get the same sentence. When one person out of a group of muggers stabs a victim to death, all are charged with and convicted of murder.

But these things are essentially not the problem I was drawing attention to, it was the open publicity in places like the forum about it's superiority in performance and speed that are the greater risk.