A trailer for ebike or non ebike towing.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
It looks a well designed trailer at a very good price. I especially like that it has mudguards built in - prevents mud splashes over cargo, and it has a good number of supporting struts for the bamboo slats. At 11kg it's pretty light considering - says here it's a steel alloy, which explains why it's 4.4kg lighter than my similar-ish but not nearly as nice looking Homcom steel framed trailer, despite the Sladda having larger wheels. The bike it was supposed to have been originally sold with, was recalled because of a safety issue related to a third party belt drive, but the trailers are a good design.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
I spent £3.25 on a roll of 10mm reflective diamond tape to improve the visibility of my box for the trailer.
IMG_20220601_142122.jpg

I passed a bloke on the Worth Way today and he remarked saying " Now that is a proper way of using a bike ".

Last edited:
Reactions: guerney

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
That stuff is brilliant, especially in car headlights - I've stuck patches of it on all the black parts of my otherwise silver bike (handlebar stem, on the reverse sides of both Zefal Dooback 2 handlebar-end mirrors, parts of the rear pannier rack). Well worth being as visible as possible, especially since it doesnt cost very much. Had to try a couple of types till I found a truly waterproof reflective tape - one so called "Waterproof" reflective tape variety even had a paper layer, useless..

Last edited:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
I don't know how WP the roll I got is but is is plenty sticky for sure. On the lid I taped it the whole way around so it can be seen from all angles and just added the few extra horizontal strips on the rear. For dull days I have the two rear flashing lights as well as the front and rear reflectors to be legal compliant.
For my bee trips usage WP isn't important as the bees don't like the rain and I don't bother going to them if it rains either.

Last edited:

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Yes I noticed your cool flashers, are they the Carry Freedom versions?

The tapes did vary in terms of stickiness too, but I eventually found some which sticks fast and is reflective enough. Here is the reverse side of one of my Zefals, which drivers see... but only if they're heading towards me.

I'm all for dayglow bike frames. Why are so many matte ninja black?

Last edited:

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
For my bee trips usage WP isn't important as the bees don't like the rain and I don't bother going to them if it rains either.
If you make your trailer bright enough, bees may follow you home. They seem to cluster around my hi-viz rucksack cover.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
The rear lights are cheap ebay usb ones, I charge them and they last for weeks on end.

• Informative

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Wow, 27.50 euros for the CF light holder plus another 26.90 for the CF light, I'll shop for ebay cheapos too lol:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
The baseboard light holder I made from bits out of my spares bin.
The CF and spares are not cheap now the jerry's have got there mitt's on it, and like the jerry built china made mid drive bikes they are very expensive for what they are.
Like we have said if one can get one used for a good price then they are worth having, but since lock down started even some used prices have got abit silly due to the hiking up of the new price cost.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
I see now there is a 2.2 X model now and it has a larger base like my modded trailer, 609 euros is very exp and that isn't inc p &p, so reckon it would be nearer 750eu with vat.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Heading toward R&M premium pricing... glad I won't need to buy another, £90 plus about £20 in train fare was absurdly cheap. I was lucky the chap had given up on life completely ie was moving to Leeds. It's grim up north.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Yes all in £110 is a good price.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Yes all in £110 is a good price.
Ah but your Y Large was a better deal @125... mine is Small Y, which will be fine for my needs (I think).

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
The other day I realised with my modded trailer and the extra frame work of the long tail ute, I would have an issue connecting the tow arm as well as straining the QR with all the towing weight.
So I put my heath robinson thinking cap on to come up with a solution I think will work by adding a new towing hitch.
400mm of 25mm x 6mm aluminium & 3 x 18mm P clips and 3 x nuts and bolts to sturdily tie the ali bar to the bike frame in three places, the combined tie points should be strong enough to spread the pull load on the bike frame rather then just using the axle alone.

My heath attachment of the bar puts the tow hitch much further back and easier to hook up the trailer. The three P clips giving a good secure anchor to three points on the rear frame.
DSCF1395.JPG

With the panniers fitted most of it is hidden.
DSCF1398.JPG

The rear looking view shows little, also by adding the bar for the hitch attachment I was able to lower the hitch beneath the axle so it is at a height to suit the trailers 20" wheel better. This allow a more level sitting trailer rather then one slightly pitch up at the front.
DSCF1399.JPG

Last edited:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Ah but your Y Large was a better deal @125... mine is Small Y, which will be fine for my needs (I think).
Yes, but later if one needs a larger base they are easy to knock up and fit in situ using the same fixing bolts.

I found my longer base flexed more so I bolted three extra ali 300mm 25mm sq sections to the under side which has solved the issue, one to the front in the middle of the span and two at equi disatnce apart to the rear.

• Informative

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Is it going to be strong enough for your cargos? I think there's a real danger of the end with the hitch bending into the spokes, or away from the frame - round/box section steel or aluminium is harder to bend, but also trickier to attach to the frame.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
There is little or no side way force towing, it is simply a dead pull/push weight effect, otherwise if there was side way pressure one would notice and feel it whilst riding and the back end would be felt moving. The profile needs to be slim for the panniers to sit flat and 6mm thick ali is quite firm it would take a lot to flex/bend the little that hangs down.

Last edited:

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
What about when turning? 6mm alumimium is pretty easy to bend stuff - I've got the same thickness and width in steel and I wouldn't use that either. I'd also worry that the steel bands holding the bar to the frame would snap - how strong is that steel? Would a bar on one side (inside), with bolts through either side of the bike frame, through box section on the other side, be stronger? Trouble is, if you overtighten, that could distort your bike frame. Could that first bolt (top left) distort your bike frame?

I'm probably overworrying Nealh.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
I found my longer base flexed more so I bolted three extra ali 300mm 25mm sq sections to the under side which has solved the issue, one to the front in the middle of the span and two at equi disatnce apart to the rear.
That sounds like a great idea.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
I think you are over thinking and worrying about my bike towing, I have tried flexing the ali bar when it arrived and found it very stiff. Like everything I do and try I shall be keeping an eye on the fixture to see how it goes.
I think it will be safer and stronger then relying on the 9mm QR to take all the strain, as I said the strain is taken by the three securing points so no one will be taking all the strain.

Related Articles

Advertisers