Another Ebike conversion kit death

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
DSC_0291_01.JPG

that's whats inside my bosch charger and the caps will zap you if not discharged like a imac but at least i dont need to cut the fkn screen of with razor blades and wont kill me :p

Last edited:
Reactions: guerney

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
This just came up on my YouTube feed.

Very interesting. If they outlaw all conversion kits and batteries which don't have UL or some other certification, they'll have as much success at removing the many in use, as they've had at reducing illegal escooter numbers. Even EM3ev batteries aren't UL certified. Bosch is too controlling and wasteful a company.

Last edited:

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

good luck with that pmsl

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

and when you live in the real world ;)

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

do you want a can of coke, or a can of Coca-Cola, whats the difference £50 :D

portals

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 15, 2022
push it out side and it will still firs back at you :p
I live on second floor of an Edwardian Glasgow tenement, with two kids flown (one moved to Australia at 19), one of spare rooms has been storage/bike room for over a yr now. Outside there is grassy bank that drops by 1/2 metre so anything falling out of that window will bounce down the lawn and be I guess at a minimum of at least 1m away from the side of the tenement. A right hard poke with the broom and it may land further however I'm not about to test that out...

Joking aside this and a heat detector will give me piece of mind if I need to charge unattended/overnight however I appreciate everyone's circumstances are different and a window may not be the best option....but this will work for me.

portals

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 15, 2022
This just came up on my YouTube feed.
He makes a good point that even with loads of new heavy duty laws and standards to be met that most manufacturers will simply lie that they are compliant and how does this address fakes/counterfeits?

Remember Volkswagen emissions scandal and others?

Ocsid

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2017
Hampshire
The released energy still has to go somewhere, not many domestic homes have a conveniently located metal sand tray to store a charging battery's bag in.
All it appears to do positively is contain the battery and resulting debris, useful but that is only part of the basic issue.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
The released energy still has to go somewhere, not many domestic homes have a conveniently located metal sand tray to store a charging battery's bag in.
Expensive too. Blankets of similar looking material cost around the £1000 mark, without it's complete enclosure and pressure release valve.

Az.

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2022
Plymouth
Might be a good time to buy a spare battery or two before government steps in to help and mess things up like they have done with throttles.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Might be a good time to buy a spare battery or two before government steps in to help and mess things up like they have done with throttles.
you shouldn't. It's a case of use it or lose it.
A forgotten battery deteriorates even more quickly than one that is frequently used and after about 6 months, it can get stuck in an unbalanced state.

• Agree
Reactions: flecc

portals

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 15, 2022
The Government will only step if in some self serving pr1ck thinks it will enhance their career options and public profile...

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
you cant leave a bosch batt as the bms will drain the pack to nothing then brick the bms :rolleyes:

• Agree
Reactions: Woosh

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
There'll be no negatives.

Government policies in Europe and Britain are all about encouraging personal mobility instead of car driving.

Even to the extent of daft meaures like e-scooters for use on roads which they know full well will be sold and used illegally.

Even to the extent of deliberately being blind to the widespread us of illegally fast and overpowered e-bikes.

Even to the extent of using a full throttle on a pedelec without type approval. Just go ahead, no-one will do anything about it since it's part of the new political virtue of personal mobility.

Once all the above is firmly established as a norm, they'll tweak the laws to make it legal. After all, they did it before, almost all pedelecs sold between 2003 and 2015 and used illegally under British (though not EU) law were all made legal with new law on 6th April 2015.

Reactions: Woosh

Az.

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2022
Plymouth
you shouldn't. It's a case of use it or lose it.
A forgotten battery deteriorates even more quickly than one that is frequently used and after about 6 months, it can get stuck in an unbalanced state.
I was joking of course. Forgot to add smiley face at the end.
If I was to buy spare battery I would maintain it properly. But even then it would deteriorate over time.

Having that said I have a funny feeling government will really mess things up at some point.

Government policies in Europe and Britain are all about encouraging personal mobility instead of car driving.
Hmm... interesting... I have quite an opposite opinion. There is a difference between what they say and what they do. Whole transition to renewable energy is managed by fossil fuel lobby. Look at profits they make and un UK we have energy companies in private hands. There is no way they will give up profits in name of some fancy slogans like saving the planet.
Everything is implemented so badly it hurts.

Even to the extent of deliberately being blind to the widespread us of illegally fast and overpowered e-bikes.
I don't think it is deliberate. Rather laid back attitude and do what you want approach. One really need to try hard to get in trouble with the law here.

Reactions: chris667

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
I don't think it is deliberate. Rather laid back attitude and do what you want approach. One really need to try hard to get in trouble with the law here.
go on facebook or twitter and start calling every one a paki you will have a armed response unit at ur door in minutes :p

nicking cars and robbing houses ect is fine tho :D