Bafang-bbs01. Can read but not write flash :/

Mange-88

Pedelecer
Feb 6, 2019
yes u can change some basics via the display advanced settings by inputting a code.like disabling the speed restriction.numbers of PAS levels and wheel diameter.but that has nothing to do with programming the controller.

Does the display communicate with the controller in a different way than my USB cable?

Mvh Magnus

minexplorer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 22, 2017
Four Lanes,Cornwall
Does the display communicate with the controller in a different way than my USB cable?

Mvh Magnus
It just allows certain things that are nothing to do with controller programming to be set.for instance u can change the bikes wheel diameter and the speed limiter as i said. it allows PAS to be set to 3,5 or 9 levels, BUT the amount of amps and motor rpm for those levels has to be programmed into the controller. The display is nothing to do with the problem u r having.

your version seems to be 1 ,firmware 0.1A,mine bought in 2017 is version 1.1 ,firmware 2.2.1.1 i wonder if that has anything to do with it.Any ideas on that anyone,are the programming tools compatible with early versions (should be)?

ive attached my programming.

Attachments

Mange-88

Pedelecer
Feb 6, 2019
It just allows certain things that are nothing to do with controller programming to be set.for instance u can change the bikes wheel diameter and the speed limiter as i said. it allows PAS to be set to 3,5 or 9 levels, BUT the amount of amps and motor rpm for those levels has to be programmed into the controller. The display is nothing to do with the problem u r having.

your version seems to be 1 ,firmware 0.1A,mine bought in 2017 is version 1.1 ,firmware 2.2.1.1 i wonder if that has anything to do with it.Any ideas on that anyone,are the programming tools compatible with early versions (should be)?

ive attached my programming.
Thx Minexplorer. It's possible, maybe my firmware is out of date :/

Mvh Magnus

Attachments

minexplorer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 22, 2017
Four Lanes,Cornwall
Thx Minexplorer. It's possible, maybe my firmware is out of date :/

Mvh Magnus
Ah your new screenshot is clearer.Its hardware version V5.1 i thought it was VS 1.well thats light years on from my V1.1. i thought it odd as it was a new bike, to have older hardware/firmware versions. Maybe thats the issue,the current config tools are out of date for the latest.

i did just see a post from 2 years ago.where a guy could get the config tool to connect ,even partially work,but it seemed an issue with the driver for the com port.others suggested different drivers to try ,during the thread. it was titled 'cant communicate with bafang controller,please help' on electricbike.com. Wish d8veh was still here.

hanssen

Just Joined
Sep 3, 2018
I am running into the same issues as you are, also located in Norway. I bought the motor from bikeshop.no some time ago, did you as well? Did you find a solution?

With the preprogrammed settings the motor is basically useless, and since I was not able to program it, it has not been used for a year now. I bought the motor as a replacement motor only, previosly bought a kit with battery and everything from em3ev, which I was able to program (even two different controllers...)

Mange-88

Pedelecer
Feb 6, 2019
I am running into the same issues as you are, also located in Norway. I bought the motor from bikeshop.no some time ago, did you as well? Did you find a solution?

With the preprogrammed settings the motor is basically useless, and since I was not able to program it, it has not been used for a year now. I bought the motor as a replacement motor only, previosly bought a kit with battery and everything from em3ev, which I was able to program (even two different controllers...)

Ohh :/ Yes, I did. Not yet, but I'm working on it.

The Problem is not only the speed-limit, it also has a rpm limit wich reduce the rpm when using a lower gear uphill, making it even slower when you really need the speed and power :/

There's some limits in the display settings as well. I've been in contact with the company and they will get back to me, soon I hope :)

I find one "solution" though.
I bought a thumb throttle from eBay. This will make it not loosing it's rpm uphill. If power on the engine and just turn the small magnet (to the speed sensor) 180 degree, the speed limit is not a problem. After a while you'll get a error message in the display. Just restart the engine and you can go again.

I sure there's better ways to do it. For example mount the magnet on the crank, I haven't tried it yet though.

I think everything will be possible if replacing the controller (1000kr), but I haven't done it yet.

Mvh Magnus, Stvg

kristiansen

Just Joined
Oct 20, 2019
Hi guys :)
I am also currently having exactly the same issue as you and user hanssen describe. Also located in Norway, and got my kit on bikeshop.no with the same the firmware. Can read the parameters, but nothing happens when i write or write flash.. I almost feel scammed..

I have the 250w mid-motor, and the way it comes programmed does not work out well for me, since i live in a area with ALOT of hills and not so much straights.
Motor makes 25km/h on the straights, ONLY in the last gear wich is 9th gear for me wich is superheavy. Almost impossible to increase speed with pedals from there.
Before I converted the bike to electric Ieasily did 35km/h on the straights, and almost 5km/h more in the uphills. Also it almost feels like the motor helps less the more you pedal? Specially in the uphills.

Have any of you guys found a solution to reprogram?

And if I just want to up the top-speed, and change wheel size etc; is that possible with different HMI's? I have the DP C11.UART, and I can't find anything on how to do it from that one. But have seen different posts about how to do it on ex. DP C18.UART and DP C10.UART. If any of you could confirm that it is possible to do changes from any of those, I might as well just buy a new HMI.

peter.c

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2018
thurrock essex
First what model motor do you have
Do you have the speed setting controlled by the display as an option on the pas page and the throttle page ?
When set to this setting the display overrides the programme settings for speed that you try to change in the pas or throttle page
ps I down load each page separately make the changes to the settings then write each page

Greenrider

Finding my (electric) wheels
May 2, 2021
I Have the exact same problem. Living in Denmark. Has anyone found a solution for this ? The funny thing is that it worked on my old motor. But on the new motor it dosent work. Its almost like its write protected. Solution please ?

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
I Have the exact same problem. Living in Denmark. Has anyone found a solution for this ? The funny thing is that it worked on my old motor. But on the new motor it dosent work. Its almost like its write protected. Solution please ?
I have a theory, that some BBS mid drive motors come with controllers that are firmware locked. The reasons for this could be:

1) Prevent users programming, to minimize warranty returns from maxing parameters and blowing controllers.
2) On ready built bikes, the controller is already programmed to match all the components, such as chainring and cassette.
3) To stop users programming outside of the legal parameters, such as top speed.

I have only read about BBS01 controllers being locked in this way, but I may be wrong. This suggests it may be a legality thing.

If it were my bike, I would try to try to find the firmware that isn't locked in this way and flash that onto the controller. It's done with the same programming cable, but with different software. It's explained in the following video. It mentions the BBS02 and BBSHD, so the firmware links are for those motors only. There must be firmware out there for the BBS01 though:

Failing that, another solution would be to replace the controller with one that you know can be programmed.

Hopefully, other members may be able to add to this post, about flashing the firmware and whether there are files out there for the BBS01.

Greenrider

Finding my (electric) wheels
May 2, 2021
I have a theory, that some BBS mid drive motors come with controllers that are firmware locked. The reasons for this could be:

1) Prevent users programming, to minimize warranty returns from maxing parameters and blowing controllers.
2) On ready built bikes, the controller is already programmed to match all the components, such as chainring and cassette.
3) To stop users programming outside of the legal parameters, such as top speed.

I have only read about BBS01 controllers being locked in this way, but I may be wrong. This suggests it may be a legality thing.

If it were my bike, I would try to try to find the firmware that isn't locked in this way and flash that onto the controller. It's done with the same programming cable, but with different software. It's explained in the following video. It mentions the BBS02 and BBSHD, so the firmware links are for those motors only. There must be firmware out there for the BBS01 though:

Failing that, another solution would be to replace the controller with one that you know can be programmed.

Hopefully, other members may be able to add to this post, about flashing the firmware and whether there are files out there for the BBS01.
Hi thanks for your reply. I have to say that your theory about some BBS mid drive motors come with controllers that are firmware locked, has crossed my mind.

Cuold you please point me in the direction of where you have read that ? i havent been able to find anything online about it.

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
Hi thanks for your reply. I have to say that your theory about some BBS mid drive motors come with controllers that are firmware locked, has crossed my mind.

Cuold you please point me in the direction of where you have read that ? i havent been able to find anything online about it.
I was reading a thread from the german pedelecs website, but it is still unclear whether there are definitely certain BBS01 controllers which are firmware locked, or whether it is user error or poor quality programming cables.

https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&u=https://www.pedelecforum.de/forum/index.php?threads/bbs01b-mm-g340-250-neue-version-l%C3%A4sst-sich-nicht-mehr-programmieren.62698/

Have a read and see if it helps you understand the issue you are having with programming.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
There have been a few instances with peeps buying the cheap £10 or so prog cables and them not being up to the job of connecting or being able to register changes correctly. The good cables are around the £20 mark.

Here1moment

Just Joined
Jul 27, 2022
Hi guys.

I just got my new Bafang bbs01 250w.

Today I've decided to link it to my computer to change a few parameters, but there's a problem.

I can't write/ write to flash:/

I've tried with 3 different versions of Bafang configuration tool, but they are all the same.

The COM-port appears automatically, I can't choose a different one.

I can read it tough. But when I click write flash, nothing happens. The window that should appear "writing flash successfully" doesn't.

Is there some manufacture protection

I've tried different USB ports and
Battery is connected.

I live in Norway btw.

Any suggestions?

Thx

Kind regards

Magnus

Hi. I just joined this site to reply..
So, i bought an ebike, slow like yours. So i tried setting the settings in the display, no good. And mine doesnt have a wheel speed sensor. So,i had to program it, so i bought a cable.
Now thankfully, i got curious before the cable arrived, and pulled my controller and battery all apart. And i got to understand the harness, on mine, amongst it are, big cable from battery to controller. And a green 5 pin julet connector which connects the controller to the display. (It's green male , and black female). Then an orange one for the pedalassist sensor, and a plug off to the motor. ANd i thinkan unused plug for a throttle.

So, big day arrived, cable came. Wohoo. Remove a screw, dont read the manual, read the firmware, take a photo. Yes! It reads.
Make a few adjustments to max speed. Write! Test ride... wait, what still speed limited?
Go home. Do it again. Read, set config, write. But now, i unplug usb and unplug cable. And close software. Plug it all back in, low and behold, same settings. It took me a solid 10 minutes before i decided i would trace the two cables, just to make sure i'm definitely plugged into the controller, rather than the display. I mean, what would be the odds i have some silly unusual bike where the controller plug is actually a female, meaning the bafang programming cable 90% of people use (being female) would infact not work. I mean, the changes would be nil right..
So off i go, i pull the rest out like last weekend. Yep, theres the male julet plug and cable i'm plugging my female bafang cable into. Oh yeah, it definitely is the cable going to the display, and not the controller.
So of course it makes sense why nothing is being set, because i'm trying to program the display, which is, well, dumb.

So what has my story taught? That you my friend, despite all these people talking about faulty cables and soldering, you probably like me, have a setup where the controller plug is a 5 pin julet female. And you therefore need a 5 pin julet male. And the bafang programming cables are female.
So options, try find a 5 pin male to male julet cable.. I found some on ebay but cant seem to buy them. Or do what i intend to do tomorrow, buy a julet cable with a male plug end, cut the end off, and solder the male end onto the few cables the usb plug needs. And voila.

You can go and youtube search some videos, and you will see they are plugging into the controller. Chances are bafang and vendors when buying a setup, just specify al the plugs, and we chosen few, unluckily, got a combo where the display was a male julet plug, meaning bafang/whoever built the controller, used a female julet for the display cable, meaning our cables don't work. I would be willing to bet dollars to doughnuts, you are in the same boat.
What are the odds huh.

~~~~The end~~~~

Reactions: dwvl

uig

Just Joined
Apr 27, 2023
Was there a solution?

Hi. I just joined this site to reply..
So, i bought an ebike, slow like yours. So i tried setting the settings in the display, no good. And mine doesnt have a wheel speed sensor. So,i had to program it, so i bought a cable.
Now thankfully, i got curious before the cable arrived, and pulled my controller and battery all apart. And i got to understand the harness, on mine, amongst it are, big cable from battery to controller. And a green 5 pin julet connector which connects the controller to the display. (It's green male , and black female). Then an orange one for the pedalassist sensor, and a plug off to the motor. ANd i thinkan unused plug for a throttle.

So, big day arrived, cable came. Wohoo. Remove a screw, dont read the manual, read the firmware, take a photo. Yes! It reads.
Make a few adjustments to max speed. Write! Test ride... wait, what still speed limited?
Go home. Do it again. Read, set config, write. But now, i unplug usb and unplug cable. And close software. Plug it all back in, low and behold, same settings. It took me a solid 10 minutes before i decided i would trace the two cables, just to make sure i'm definitely plugged into the controller, rather than the display. I mean, what would be the odds i have some silly unusual bike where the controller plug is actually a female, meaning the bafang programming cable 90% of people use (being female) would infact not work. I mean, the changes would be nil right..
So off i go, i pull the rest out like last weekend. Yep, theres the male julet plug and cable i'm plugging my female bafang cable into. Oh yeah, it definitely is the cable going to the display, and not the controller.
So of course it makes sense why nothing is being set, because i'm trying to program the display, which is, well, dumb.

So what has my story taught? That you my friend, despite all these people talking about faulty cables and soldering, you probably like me, have a setup where the controller plug is a 5 pin julet female. And you therefore need a 5 pin julet male. And the bafang programming cables are female.
So options, try find a 5 pin male to male julet cable.. I found some on ebay but cant seem to buy them. Or do what i intend to do tomorrow, buy a julet cable with a male plug end, cut the end off, and solder the male end onto the few cables the usb plug needs. And voila.

You can go and youtube search some videos, and you will see they are plugging into the controller. Chances are bafang and vendors when buying a setup, just specify al the plugs, and we chosen few, unluckily, got a combo where the display was a male julet plug, meaning bafang/whoever built the controller, used a female julet for the display cable, meaning our cables don't work. I would be willing to bet dollars to doughnuts, you are in the same boat.
What are the odds huh.

~~~~The end~~~~