BEBA electric bike Day

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Hi All,

I have been asked by the members of BEBA to start thinking about an electric bike day to be held later this year.

Any ideas for a suitable venue would be gratefully received. This is not an alternative to the much loved Presteign event and will be held much later in the year.

The event will be designed as an opportunity for members of BEBA to present their products to a wider audience. So we need a venue where people can test bikes on a variety of different terrains. North of London would be preferable.

All the best

David

C

Cyclezee

As I suggested to you previously David, Milton Keynes. I was very surprised you got no response from your previous enquires, but I passionately believe MK is the ideal location. We have excellent venues and facilities, many miles of traffic free cycle routes. We have good communication links by road, rail and air (helicopters). The city in close proximity to largest centres of population in England.

The following link should provide all the information needed Milton Keynes - Official Visitor & Tourist Information Service

J:) hn

Last edited by a moderator:

NRG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2009
Isn't MK fairly flat though? Cycle paths are great but I would have thought something more challenging would be in order to test out the climbing ability of the bikes...

C

Cyclezee

Isn't MK fairly flat though? Cycle paths are great but I would have thought something more challenging would be in order to test out the climbing ability of the bikes...
Contrary to popular belief, the terrain in MK is quite undulating and does have some hills, Willen Lake to the city centre via Campbell Park for example would prove a good test route with a 1.5 mile climb.

Last edited by a moderator:

Streethawk

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 12, 2011
I'll second that as long as it's at Chatsworth House!

Failing that Llangollen Norh Wales the Eisteddfod grounds.
Good call, with test rides up to the Ponderosa Cafe, that'd be a good test hill! Buxton, also good, but the ride over the Cat & Fiddle might not be as much fun. ;)

Morag

Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2010
Shropshire
Good call, with test rides up to the Ponderosa Cafe, that'd be a good test hill! Buxton, also good, but the ride over the Cat & Fiddle might not be as much fun. ;)
I prefer a nice engine in my two wheels to tackle the cat and fiddle and no helicopters hanging around like a bad smell ;)

NRG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2009
Contrary to popular belief, the terrain in MK is quite undulating and does have some hills, Willen Lake to the city centre via Campbell Park for example would prove a good test route with a 1.5 mile climb.

Undulating! So still fairly flat then ;) We need great big stonking hills that can break man and machine and sort the weak from the strong! :D

Joking aside, MK does look to have the facilities just not the hills, the one you cite is a 2.5% average climb. Buxton sounds a challenge though. :)

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
I'll second that as long as it's at Chatsworth House!

Failing that Llangollen Norh Wales the Eisteddfod grounds.
Chatsworth would make a good venue. There is a good mix of bike breaking hills, suspension pummelling track and flat smooth Tarmac. It wouldn't be too difficult to set up a circuit which takes in all of this varied terrain. Chatsworth is also prety central with a good link to the motorway. Nearly forgot to mention the beautiful and interesting countryside which Chatsworth House sits in.

OTH

Pedelecer
Sep 9, 2010
North of London would not be preferable for those living south of London.

How about Okehampton: flat, safe off-road along the Granite Way and stonking great climbs onto Dartmoor?

Better still, north and south venues.

Streethawk

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 12, 2011
North of London would not be preferable for those living south of London.
In that case we need to have it in my back garden, because that's preferable to me.

Midlands... middle-lands... in the middle of the country, easy access for everyone. Thats why the NEC is in Birmingham.

shemozzle999

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 28, 2009

There is always Bow Brickhill if some members want a demanding climb.:D

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
The venue needs to be at the centre of both the electric bicycle riding and prospective purchaser population mass. Now it just needs someone to establish where that is.

Alternatively, the event could be held in a far off country, North Korea for example. Then it would be just as inconvenient for everyone and no one would be discriminated against.

jasono

Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2009
Leicestershire
Hi David
May I suggest Leicester or Charnwood. Well served by the national cycle network (6), lots of good, quiet lanes and a variety of terrain. From the relatively flat soar valley way ncn 6, to the hilly Charnwood forest
Plus easy access from major routes and good ebike dealers in the area: top gear and 50 cycles
Finally for venues, have a look at the national space centre or museum of technology or for Charnwood beaumanor hall
Cheers
Jason

z0mb13e

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 28, 2009
Dorset
MK sounds reasonable to me. Plus I could get an hour snowboarding in at Xscape... :) (No where north of Southampton is convenient when you live on the south coast :rolleyes: )

What about Great Malvern? The Three Counties show ground might be an idea. Plenty of on site tarmac and if you want to test the hill climbing then you could always head for the nearby hills!

shemozzle999

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 28, 2009
MK sounds reasonable to me. Plus I could get an hour snowboarding in at Xscape... :) (No where north of Southampton is convenient when you live on the south coast :rolleyes: )

What about Great Malvern? The Three Counties show ground might be an idea. Plenty of on site tarmac and if you want to test the hill climbing then you could always head for the nearby hills!
Milton Keynes National Bowl would be an ideal practical venue, together with good parking it has a circular tarmac circuit (timed competition perhaps or a short quiet run around the nearby Furzton Lake or a longer run along the Ousel Valley Park to Willen Lake) - used frequently by local cycle clubs - maybe available Sunday afternoons after the regular car boot.

I dont know about the cost but I am sure the local council could provide the answers, maybe if linked to a charity event like they did with the Brompton World Championships the possiblity of getting it for free.

Here are a couple of links to the cycle scene in MK plus a local map (view the South one)

Cycling in Milton Keynes | Milton Keynes Redways & Cycle Routes | Sustrans Cycling - Milton Keynes Redway Map

Cycling in Milton Keynes | Milton Keynes Redways & Cycle Routes | Sustrans Cycling

p.s. did I mention there is also a good watering hole around Furzton Lake, not that would influence any decision.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just thought of an alternative venue:

Woburn Deer Park only £4 entrance fee although permission for cycling would have to be sort.

Two test area close by:

Apsley Guise mountain bike circuit and the dreaded Bow Brickhill from the Woburn side.

Last edited: