eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
Streatham common is ideal...lovely hills and 5 minute walk from my house:D

EdBike

Pedelecer
Sep 10, 2010
So why not do two or three BEBA days?

One South of London, and another further to the North?

Limiting the number of people you can have at these events will only limit their success.

hoppy

May 25, 2010
Great idea! Could you stretch it to two days over a weekend? We can't all make it on a Sunday. The hill climb suggestion is good. How about somewhere like Prescott Hillclimb near Cheltenham? A quite gentle tarmac climb. Plenty of room. Good facilities.

dmcgoldrick

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 17, 2010
Everyone welcome in Scotland !!!!!!!!
good test of the bikes on the wee hills we have........
The Rob Roy Way.......great scenery........

(just a wee bit north of watford.....):D

Ultra Motor

Esteemed Pedelecer
Great idea! Could you stretch it to two days over a weekend? We can't all make it on a Sunday. The hill climb suggestion is good. How about somewhere like Prescott Hillclimb near Cheltenham? A quite gentle tarmac climb. Plenty of room. Good facilities.
I've done Prescott in a car, would be a great idea on a bike!!!

Ultra Motor

Esteemed Pedelecer
Bristol surely! It's is the first cycling city after all and has some great hills. Last month we hosted the first Red Bull Hill Climb, up Park Street.

There are some great venues, and there's sure to be lots of support from the council and public alike. Remember Sustrans are also based in Bristol.
Very true and being a Bristol resident it makes it easier for me ;) The Sustrans guys area also at the bottom of Park Street!

C

Cyclezee

There is always Bow Brickhill if some members want a demanding climb.:D
Quite agree Shemozzle999, Bow Brickill did come to mind, it is a fairly long climb and I have burnt off non powered cyclists going up it on my Forza with the exception of Audax rider Rich Forrest.

Why I suggest Willen Lake to CMK via Campbell park is it is traffic free and has a circular route back to the the Lake and those who think it not arduous enough could do several laps. For those who wish to dice with the traffic there is the eastern end of Silbury Boulevard which runs parallel to the park.

J:) hn

C

Cyclezee

Milton Keynes National Bowl would be an ideal practical venue, together with good parking it has a circular tarmac circuit (timed competition perhaps or a short quiet run around the nearby Furzton Lake or a longer run along the Ousel Valley Park to Willen Lake) - used frequently by local cycle clubs - maybe available Sunday afternoons after the regular car boot.

I dont know about the cost but I am sure the local council could provide the answers, maybe if linked to a charity event like they did with the Brompton World Championships the possiblity of getting it for free.

Here are a couple of links to the cycle scene in MK plus a local map (view the South one)

Cycling in Milton Keynes | Milton Keynes Redways & Cycle Routes | Sustrans Cycling - Milton Keynes Redway Map

Cycling in Milton Keynes | Milton Keynes Redways & Cycle Routes | Sustrans Cycling

p.s. did I mention there is also a good watering hole around Furzton Lake, not that would influence any decision.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just thought of an alternative venue:

Woburn Deer Park only £4 entrance fee although permission for cycling would have to be sort.

Two test area close by:

Apsley Guise mountain bike circuit and the dreaded Bow Brickhill from the Woburn side.
I did think about the Bowl Shemozzle999, close to the railway station, but possibly too big and expensive for Even David Miall to hire:rolleyes: . The mini bowl at Willen Lake might be big enough, has a watering hole, hotels on either side of the lake and is close enough to M1 J14 those arriving by car, so non MK residents won't have a chance to get lost in the grid system (why does that happen, it is soooo logical and well signposted:confused: ).

Slightly off the wall Millbrook is not far away either:eek: A leading development and demonstration facility for Vehicle Testing - Millbrook

carpetbagger

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 20, 2007
blackburn
How about Clitheroe,Lancashire. Hills whichever way you go be it Pendle hill-you might see a few of its famous witches.....or through Waddington towards Dunsop bridge and the trough of bowland,both of these are regular routes for the Tour of Britain.

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Thanks so much for all your comments, I believe Ed is right in suggesting we hold as many as three events.

I have spent some time over the last week or so investigating venues and after much deliberation I have a suggestion;

During my cogitations I thought not only about where and when but how we were going to finance such a potentially expensive event. A large part of the cost for putting on any show especially when inviting the public to attend (apart from the cost of the venue) is advertising, insurance, crowd/traffic management, and risk assessment all of which require a great deal of time to organise. I concluded it would make sense to tag onto an existing event.

A few years ago I organised an event called the "Sustainability Show" at the O2 Arena. During the planning for the show I looked at various venues including the Royal Parks. After a great deal of time and negotiation we were set to launch the show in Regents Park London. However unbeknown to us we were stepping on the toes of the Camden Green Fair and subsequently found ourselves quite unceremoniously booted out! Hence the move to the then brand new O2 Arena.

The now re-christened London Green Fair is of course predominantly a London event however central London is obviously very well supported by the train network. The LGF already hosts The Sustainable Transport Zone, and "Bikefest" at the show. So anyone visting would have more to look at than the BEBA stand. Last year the event attracted over 20,000 people over two days.

Although it has been confirmed that we are able to have space (they are obviously very hot on the whole green aspect), I have yet to discuss details regarding a trial area etc, before I do I would like to get your opinion.

The event takes place on 4th and 5th June.

Thanks again for your input.

All the best

David

Last edited:

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
sounds good to me......and the chance of decent weather in June

C

Cyclezee

Anywhere But London (A.B.L.)

Hmm, so is it is going to be yet another London Centric event:( and costly for non residents to attend in overcrowded and less than ideal surroundings:(.

On the other hand if Eddieo is going, maybe missing it won't be such a bad thing:rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:

z0mb13e

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 28, 2009
Dorset
Tacking it onto another event sounds like a good idea but I would have to agree with Aldby, even though London isn't far for me, it is costly. The last time I looked at a train ticket to London I could have bought a second hand car and filled the tank, got to London and back for the same price. I dread to think what it would cost these days.

If I have to take the car then I would have to look into the congestion charge and probably pay for extortionate parking.

Streethawk

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 12, 2011
Count me out for London too, its not the distance as much as that i find it a horrible place, same as any big urban sprawl.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
If London, avoid these dates next year :):

London Olympics 2012

27 July –12 Aug 2012

Paralympics
29 August – 9 Sept 2012

Last edited:
C

Cyclezee

For me central London is only 50 miles, but in the wrong direction. London is somewhere I go only if I really have to. So, much as I love e-bikes, I won't be going.

shemozzle999

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 28, 2009
I did think about the Bowl Shemozzle999, close to the railway station, but possibly too big and expensive for Even David Miall to hire:rolleyes: . The mini bowl at Willen Lake might be big enough, has a watering hole, hotels on either side of the lake and is close enough to M1 J14 those arriving by car, so non MK residents won't have a chance to get lost in the grid system (why does that happen, it is soooo logical and well signposted:confused: ).

Slightly off the wall Millbrook is not far away either:eek: A leading development and demonstration facility for Vehicle Testing - Millbrook

Hmmmm Milbrook, could also invite the Clarkson mob and see how many caravans they can destroy with an E-Bike.

Last edited:

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
I do undertand the thought of a weekend in London is not everyone's cup of tea, although Regent's Park is beautiful in June.

Presteign will still be happening of course.

If anyone has any suggestions of another event elsewhere we could tag on to I would be grateful.

All the best

David