Bike kits

banbury frank

Banned
Jan 13, 2011
Hi you dont need brake cut out switches if you dont use pedal sensor the reason is with pedal sensor you get over run when the controller need time to see you have stopped tuning the pedals we never use brake cut outs even on our new 3,500 watt kit as we NEVE use pedal sensor

Frank

peerjay56

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 24, 2013
Nr Ingleton, N. Yorkshire
I fitted the 8fun kit last September to my Carrera hybrid… I disregarded the brake cut out switches. I don't feel they're needed on a legal low power kit like this.
But without brake cut out switches your kit isn't legal. Moot point maybe, but if keeping it legal happens to be important to someone thinking of building their own, then they are needed. :)

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Just so no-one gets the wrong idea about requirements, pedelec bikes don't require brake cut-out switches in either UK or EU law. In mainland Europe where throttles are not normally fitted, hardly any e-bikes have them, and many pedelecs sold in the UK don't have them either.

D

Deleted member 4366

Only my opinion, but having had two throttles break and heard of a lot more. I would say that they're necessary on any bike that has a throttle or PAS sensor. The standard Chinese throttles let water in and then go to full throttle or anything else. When the throttles break they stick on half throttle. You can't use the brakes to over-power the motor because you'll blow the FETs in the controller or burn out the motor - as a forum member found out recently.

Alan Quay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 4, 2012
Devon
Those hidden wire brake sensors from BMS batt (and others I expect) are really good, and very easy to use. Just pass the brake cable through and cable tie to frame, then connect to controller.
The cheap brake cutout levers supplied with most kits look/feel like they are made of cheese. I would rather have none than one of those.

I might need a couple more of those hidden wire ones. Anyone got any spares to sell? If not, who wants one and perhaps I'll get some on order?

D

Deleted member 4366

I've got a pair. They're new. £16.50 a pair including postage. Send me a PM if you want them.

D C

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2013
I've got a hidden wire brake sensor which I couldn't get to work though the red light comes on.
Probably not compatible with my kit and now I have hydraulic brakes.
No guarantees but free to anyone who needs one.

Alan Quay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 4, 2012
Devon
I've got a hidden wire brake sensor which I couldn't get to work though the red light comes on.

DC, I'll happily take it and test it. If its a dud, I'll try to fix it.

If it's a good un, I'll buy it from you.

Will PM details.

D C

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2013
DC, I'll happily take it and test it. If its a dud, I'll try and fix it.

If it's a good un, I'll buy it from you.

Will PM details.
That's fine, send me your address and I'll post it, I honestly don't want anything for it, nor for the postage, just nice for it to go to a good home..

Reactions: Alan Quay
D

Deleted member 4366

If the red light comes on when the brake is not on, you've got it on up-side-down. They only work in one direction.

D C

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2013
If the red light comes on when the brake is not on, you've got it on up-side-down. They only work in one direction.
Can't remember now but I think I tried it both ways, I don't usually give up that easily:).
Now on it's way to Mike.

peerjay56

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 24, 2013
Nr Ingleton, N. Yorkshire
Just so no-one gets the wrong idea about requirements, pedelec bikes don't require brake cut-out switches in either UK or EU law. In mainland Europe where throttles are not normally fitted, hardly any e-bikes have them, and many pedelecs sold in the UK don't have them either.
Oops! You're right - my bad:oops:

D

Deleted member 4366

Although there's no specific requirement for them, a bike must meet this requirement:

"(b) assistance shall be cut off when the cyclist stops pedalling forward such that the cut off distance does not exceed 5 m with the use of brake lever cut off switch or 2 m without the use of brake lever cut off switch. This requirement has to be checked according to the test methods described in 4.2.4.2.2 b);"

and this one:

"The electrical control system shall be designed so that, should it malfunction in a hazardous manner, it shall switch off power to the electric motor."

If the bike has a PAS sensor, it won't cut the power off fast enough. If the bike only has a throttle, then you're out on this one:

"(a) assistance shall be provided only when the cyclist pedals forward. This requirement has to be checked according to the test methods described in 4.2.4.2.2 a);"

In summary, you have to have brake cut offs with all bikes that don't have a fast response torque sensor until someone comes up with a faster responding PAS.

Reactions: trex

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Nevertheless pedelecs such as the Panasonic and numerous Dutch and German hub motor bikes with PAS are not required to have brake cut-outs fitted, so in mainland Europe where throttle control is not permitted they are rarely seen on e-bikes. No European e-bike I've tried has had cut-outs.

It seems the application of the testing may be as flexible as it is with assist power.

Reactions: trex

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
they don't even have to get their bikes tested, only need to declare that their bikes meet the standard. A bit like the WEEE directives in the 90s

Reactions: flecc

Yamdude

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 20, 2013
Somerset
I can see this debate going round and round about the law on brake cut out switches.
Personally I couldn't care less about the technicalities of the law on it... its my opinion they're not needed on my bike how its set up. So I have no intention of fitting brake cut outs.

Moon2

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jan 19, 2014
Guildford
The kit arrived today, the battery was left on for some reason during transit.

I tried to test the motor by just plugging in the battery and connecting the thumb throttle, but I'm not getting any response, have I done something wrong?

Also, the metal ring couterpart that's supposed to go to the bottom bracket, am I right in thinking that it should be stationary? right now it's sitting quite loose.

Attachments

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 4366

We need a bit more info really. What are the spare connectors for? They're all jumbled up in the photo. Is one "Anti theft", "ignition" or "Key lock"?

Can you take another photo with the connectors spread out so that we can see them.

Another thing: Do not go past half-throttle until it's running smoothly or you might wipe out your controller,