Bosch Battery Service Centre Recommendations - mail order?

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
Years ago a good lifetime for a car was 10 years (or 7 or 8 if British); and for a bicycle around 20 to 40. This seems to have changed around: 15 to 20 for a car (that's good) but down near single digits for a bike (that's sad), and maybe even less for an e-bike (very sad).

Reduced e-bike life is of course partly (largely?) due to there having been huge improvements. It will be interesting to see how lifetime improves as the technology advance slows down.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Reduced e-bike life is of course partly (largely?) due to there having been huge improvements
I blame the marketing men for pushing aluminium/magnesium to the detriment of quality steel like Reynolds tubings, and for hollowing out as much material as possible.

Reactions: esuark

Michael Price

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2018
It's fine saying that Bosch making batteries that can only be replaced and not repaired but it doers go against the concept of trying to be more sustainable
If a battery could be fixed, even if by ripping out the old cells and putting new ones in, then this would be far more responsible than making it so that the whole thing just needs to go to landfill.
On which point - do they need to just go to landfill - or can they be recycled - and does that mean they have to be sent back to Bosch?
ACtually, isn;t there something that says some things have to be recyclable and the manufacturer has to accept and recycle them when their life is up?? Does that include ebike??

Reactions: mike killay

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
If a battery could be fixed, even if by ripping out the old cells and putting new ones in, then this would be far more responsible than making it so that the whole thing just needs to go to landfill.
You should not try to fix a faulty battery pack.
The fire risk of a mismatched pack is enormously raised.
Replacing with a new one is on balance a better action.

Last edited:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Faulty Bosch packs are checked /tested, the battery cells minus any electronics are moved on to resellers. There is guy on ES (Tumich) in one of the Baltic states that sell them.
Good sells will be moved on for power wall banks and duffers recycled properly for the chemistry in side.

Nkon and Tumich both sell new or once only used recycled cells as singles in small quantities.

mike killay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 17, 2011
The treaty of Rome prohibits companies from producing products that only they can work on. Bosch produces products no one can work on, including themselves. That's perfectly legal.

Bosch are a large, solid, EU based company with a good no quibble 2 year warranty on its products but its business model is one of replacement and not repair. Also perfectly legal.
Personally I like their products and accept that they do go wrong and need replacing. That includes the possibility of failure after 2 years and a day. No Ebike lasts forever and the chances of buying multiple short life Bosch products in a row is astronomically low. I'll continue to buy and continue to recommend Bosch based Ebikes.

Looking back at some of the nightmare car MOT bills I've had over the years replacing a Bosch battery is almost a pleasure.

Darren
Well I don't think that it is an open business model at all to make things that no-one can repair, not because of any intrinsic reason but just to make profit.
They install unnecessary electronic circuits to make their things irreparable.
To me, this is not playing fair with the customer and all the small repair businesses.
Bosch are 'hiding their reprehensible behaviour behind the law'
I wouldn't touch their products at all.

• Agree
Reactions: Nealh

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
I agree Mike. The 'locked in' nature of Bosch products has me avoiding them, just like Apple stuff.
A bike is an easy to self maintain, low tech machine that can have a long life. Obviously converting it to an e-bike ups the complexity but, by using generic seperate parts, it can be kept as simple as possible. My bike can be repaired in the shed (actually the kitchen as the shed's full of logs) each part serviceable by me.
When I converted my bike back in 2014 my knowledge of bike mechanics was historic, boyhood stuff. Since then I've converted 4 bikes, replaced drive trains, converted brakes to hydraulic and generally maintained our two bikes, all with the help of this forum.
The stories we see on here of the way people are treated by 'experts', and some of the BS they get fobbed of with in shops just annoys me.
Seems to me the term 'Bosch service centre' is a total misnomer. It should be the, 'We can't touch that but we know where to send it so they can tell you it's scrap and you need to but a new one' centre. But it doesn't roll off the tongue does it?:p

Fishy

Pedelecer
Nov 16, 2018
I bought a Bosch powered bike.
The reasons were many and varied,
Firstly, after copious amounts of research and reading reviews etc, (a lot of it on this forum), it was clear that many, many people have had Bosch bikes for many years/thousands of miles which are still going strong,
Secondly, after testing lots of different styles, brands, drivetrain and motor options, the bike I chose was by far the nicest the ride, and best suited my needs,
Thirdly, the 2 year replacement warranty, I'm of the belief, (maybe wrongly), that if something, anything, is going to go wrong, it will most likely be within that timescale.
I have so far covered 500 miles, and the bike, motor, and battery have performed perfectly.

• Agree
Reactions: ebiker99

mike killay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 17, 2011
I bought a Bosch powered bike.
The reasons were many and varied,
Firstly, after copious amounts of research and reading reviews etc, (a lot of it on this forum), it was clear that many, many people have had Bosch bikes for many years/thousands of miles which are still going strong,
Secondly, after testing lots of different styles, brands, drivetrain and motor options, the bike I chose was by far the nicest the ride, and best suited my needs,
Thirdly, the 2 year replacement warranty, I'm of the belief, (maybe wrongly), that if something, anything, is going to go wrong, it will most likely be within that timescale.
I have so far covered 500 miles, and the bike, motor, and battery have performed perfectly.
Nobody is saying that Bosch bikes are no good.
Just that when they do inevitably go wrong, you are left with a sour taste as you realise how badly you have been treated.

Fishy

Pedelecer
Nov 16, 2018
Nobody is saying that Bosch bikes are no good.
Just that when they do inevitably go wrong, you are left with a sour taste as you realise how badly you have been treated.
How are people being treated badly? If anything goes wrong within the warranty period, it's replaced, if anything goes wrong after the warranty, then it's the owners problem, that's true of anything you buy.

• Agree
Reactions: ebiker99

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
The treaty of Rome prohibits companies from producing products that only they can work on. Bosch produces products no one can work on, including themselves. That's perfectly legal.

Bosch are a large, solid, EU based company with a good no quibble 2 year warranty on its products but its business model is one of replacement and not repair. Also perfectly legal.
Personally I like their products and accept that they do go wrong and need replacing. That includes the possibility of failure after 2 years and a day. No Ebike lasts forever and the chances of buying multiple short life Bosch products in a row is astronomically low. I'll continue to buy and continue to recommend Bosch based Ebikes.

Looking back at some of the nightmare car MOT bills I've had over the years replacing a Bosch battery is almost a pleasure.

Darren
I find comparing a problem e-bike battery cost, to a car that can carry 4 or more passengers, far faster, plus luggage, in comfort on both hot and cold days, to be a poor way to explain the way Bosch treats its customers.
That is a very poor comparison.
I would not accept what Bosch does with its customers myself, which is why I ride a far different e-bike, one having nothing to do with Bosch!
But each to his own, if you feel that its acceptable for yourself, thats fine by me.
Have a good day and stay healthy
Andy

Reactions: mike killay

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
then it's the owners problem, that's true of anything you buy.
Yes, but with some things it is a little problem for the owner, and with others it can be a much bigger problem.

mike killay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 17, 2011
How are people being treated badly? If anything goes wrong within the warranty period, it's replaced, if anything goes wrong after the warranty, then it's the owners problem, that's true of anything you buy.
Because even the simplest of repairs is deliberately prevented.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH

Michael Price

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2018
I didn;t exctly choose an ebike with Bosch stuff - I bought a lower priced Raleigh and they upgraded me when there were problams (Great service from Raleigh and the LBS by the way!!!) - so I sort of just ended up with it
However, I am extremly pleased with the system - I suppose I just have to look after it and hope it doesn't go wrong any time soon!!

I would be very dissapointed if it breaks within a few years as my previous ebiek lasted me 10 years and was (apparently!!) over a year old when I got it. Never went wrong - just got a new battery after 4 years and recelled it after another 5 years

D

Deleted member 25121

There's nothing inherently wrong with Bosch stuff, according to Which? their white goods are amongst the most reliable and an awful lot of cars are using their electronics.

It's just that many people prefer to buy cheap Chinese crap, and there's nothing wrong with that.

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
It's just that many people prefer to buy cheap Chinese crap, and there's nothing wrong with that.
And of course more people choose to buy really good quality cheaper Chinese goods. The Bosch is probably one of the better (but not best) Chinese manufactured motors.

Reactions: Amoto65
D

Deleted member 25121

And of course more people choose to buy really good quality cheaper Chinese goods. The Bosch is probably one of the better (but not best) Chinese manufactured motors.
But designed in Germany, and thereby lies the difference.

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
Clearly some poor Chinese designs, but the difference far from always in the German's favour. (on a bigger scale, new airports in Beijing and Berlin).