Help! Cube Stereo full suspension conversion.

Bodgeitnscarper

Pedelecer
Jul 21, 2019
Hi there,
I have recently purchased a second hand Cube Stereo full suspension bike. It is the best bike I have owned. I am a reasonably fit big bloke nearing the big 50 and have a very physical job (removals) and walk well over 10k steps daily.
My 17 year old son has now taken pole position on our rides and I want to be able to ride with him without throwing up.
I have considered getting a factory e-bike but love this Cube.
My recent research has confused me somewhat. I'm not sure a mid drive conversion is possible and the rear of the cube has a 15mm through axle. Not happy to go for a front wheel kit.
Has anybody converted a full suspension to a useable standard?

Thanks
Bodge

PhiltheFluter

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jun 9, 2019
I came across this Cube Stereo with a bbs01b on the German pedelecs site while researching if a Cube Aim would be suitable for bbshd.
Unfortunately there are no further details, just a picture. It's a pity there isn't a run-down of problems encountered.

Reactions: Bodgeitnscarper

PhiltheFluter

Jun 9, 2019
I found a previous build for my Cube Aim Pro 29er, gives me a bit of confidence that it's possible. I'll keep my eyes peeled for more Stereo builds.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Hi there,
I have recently purchased a second hand Cube Stereo full suspension bike. It is the best bike I have owned. I am a reasonably fit big bloke nearing the big 50 and have a very physical job (removals) and walk well over 10k steps daily.
My 17 year old son has now taken pole position on our rides and I want to be able to ride with him without throwing up.
I have considered getting a factory e-bike but love this Cube.
My recent research has confused me somewhat. I'm not sure a mid drive conversion is possible and the rear of the cube has a 15mm through axle. Not happy to go for a front wheel kit.
Has anybody converted a full suspension to a useable standard?

Thanks
Bodge
It's not the best for conversion. Do you have the 36T chainring that's already tight to chainstay? If so, a standard BBSxx 44T one is not going to fit, and you might find that the housing for the reduction gear doesn't fit either. You need to look at the BBS01 drawing, and take measurements from your bike to see if it'll fit.

Last edited:

Bodgeitnscarper

Pedelecer
Jul 21, 2019
It's not the best for conversion. Do you have the 36T chainring that's already tight to chainstay? If so, a standard BBSxx 42T one is not going to fit, and you might find that the housing for the reduction gear doesn't fit either. You need to look at the BBS01 drawing, and take measurements from your bike to see if it'll fit.
Yes 36T, you are correct it is very close to the chain stay. I'll have a look at the drawing as suggested. Thanks

PhiltheFluter

Jun 9, 2019
This might be of some help? I came across it whilst investigating.......lol
in the posts at the bottom it mentions Cube bikes,,,,,,,
Cheers, looks like I'll have to file down the internal cabling housing. I'll look out for that before I start.

peter.c

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2018
thurrock essex
The cube is not easy to convert the motor catches/ fouls on the frame and has to be packed out to miss the frame I sold my one just could not get it just right
Have converted the voodoo zobop fs and specialized camber fs the only problem on both was battery size and its placement
The motor fit just neededs a new stabiliser bracket on both builds

Bodgeitnscarper

Pedelecer
Jul 21, 2019
The cube is not easy to convert the motor catches/ fouls on the frame and has to be packed out to miss the frame I sold my one just could not get it just right
Have converted the voodoo zobop fs and specialized camber fs the only problem on both was battery size and its placement
The motor fit just neededs a new stabiliser bracket on both builds
Thanks for your comment. What model/year Cube was it please? My lad has a Fritz 2015 model which is quite different to my 2010 stereo.

peter.c

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2018
thurrock essex
cube ams pro year unknown as s/hand which was 29er, I picked it because it looked like the battery would be an easy fit as the shock went onto the top tube.
But the bb angle and width along with the chain stay defeated me had a small chain wheel tried another cube with alfine and belt drive that did not work cube use odd bb angles too

Bodgeitnscarper

Pedelecer
Jul 21, 2019
This might be of some help? I came across it whilst investigating.......lol
in the posts at the bottom it mentions Cube bikes,,,,,,,
I contacted the chap you linked to and asked him. Below is my question and his answer.
"Hello Tony, your articles have really helped me and raised some questions.
I have a Cube Stereo 2010.
My bottom bracket appears to be 76mm wide with a hollow tech II threaded bb.
I was looking at a bbs02b kit but worry I’m going to have problems. I know I’ll have to fit a 36t chainring which is the same as my large crank currently, but I’m struggling to work out if things will fit in the motor/crank arm area. Does the bbs02b kit come with a wider bb option like the bbshd?
Thanks
Kev

• admin
    July 21, 2019 at 10:03 pm
    Hi Kevin,
    I have just checked the spec on the 2010 Cube Stereo and it does appear to have a standard threaded Hollowtech II BB, with Shimano XT groupset. The bottom bracket shell should be 73mm wide, so the standard BBS02 should fit.
    I have converted quite a few full suspension mountain bikes with either Hollowtech II or SRAM GPX BB’s and never had any major issues apart from the chainline offset caused by the motor can impair shifting to the lowest gear on the cassette.
    With a 73mm BB there should be ample thread left on the motor shaft to fully tighten the inner lockring, but sometimes there is not enough thread left to fully tighten the outer lockring.
    The only other issues I have come across on occasion is the motor lockring may need to be periodically tightened, and you may find fitting the battery to be a tight squeeze or the holes on the battery mounting plate will not align with the bottle cage bosses.
    I hope this information helps.
    All the best,
    Tony"

Last edited:

peter.c

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2018
thurrock essex
At 76mm it will mean the angle grinder and hack saw are required remember the chain line is not the same on the bbs02 to the hd
The only way is to take the bb out and try a dry fit then work out what spacers or cuts are required , if all conversions bolted straight on that would be no fun
If you use the 36 tooth chain wheel all the gears will never align the smallest is a 42 lekkie

Bodgeitnscarper

Pedelecer
Jul 21, 2019
At 76mm it will mean the angle grinder and hack saw are required remember the chain line is not the same on the bbs02 to the hd
The only way is to take the bb out and try a dry fit then work out what spacers or cuts are required if all conversions bolted straight on that would be no fun if you use the 36 tooth chain wheel all the gears will never align the smallest is a 42 lekkie
Is it normal for the bb to be 76mm? Would a hollow tech II fit on a 76mm bb?
I measured it as best I could. Not sure I fancy grinding down the bb on the cube as i wont be able to put it back to stock in the future.
Does the hd offer a better chain line?

peter.c

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2018
thurrock essex
The options are buy the hd with 100mm bottom bracket and spacer it out and have a very bad chain line or try the 68/73mm and hope it does not catch or foul the frame and hope the nut stays tight this is a bbs02 in place of a hollow tech 2 with workshop made anti turn bracket test fit in a 73mm bbIMG_20190403_165043277.jpg

IMG_20190403_154331701.jpg