Disregarding UK pedelec laws

• Thread starter Deleted member 25121
  • Start date

BazP

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 8, 2017
Sheffield
The law applies to everyone not just you, so they have to cover the worst case scenario. They have to prevent idiots from doing stupid things, not allow everyone to use their discretion on what they think is a suitable speed for the conditions they're riding in. That's why we have rules and limits. If all cyclists had an IQ of 140 plus and they only rode on not busy open roads on well-maintained bikes, I'm sure that we'd get a few more concessions, but the average IQ is 100, there is no MOT test for electric bikes and people want to ride their bikes through busy parks where kids are playing out of control. I've seen people ride their bike into the shop with no working brakes at all to ask about a new battery!
At the moment everyone on an analog bike, idiot or sensible, is allowed to use their discretion as to a suitable speed for the conditions. I would like this to apply to me on my electric bike and am willing to still be restricted but would like it to be at 20mph.

D

Deleted member 25121

At the moment everyone on an analog bike, idiot or sensible, is allowed to use their discretion as to a suitable speed for the conditions. I would like this to apply to me on my electric bike and am willing to still be restricted but would like it to be at 20mph.
Why not 25mph?

• Agree
Reactions: flecc and LeighPing

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
There's a fundamental relationship at work here which probably guides the lawmakers.

The performance of an unpowered bike is directly linked to the health and fitness of the rider. Those capable of the highest performance are likely to have the fastest reactions, the greater awareness and the best eyesight, all usually through being more youthful.

Conversely a power assisted bike providing as much as four times the rider's effort in addition can greatly exceed the safe capabilities of someone far less well endowed through age or unfitness.

That of course is true of all powered vehicles, hence them requiring operator testing, licencing, insurance and traceability. You can have more power assisted speed legally, even more power, but they come with those impositions for good reasons.

D

Deleted member 25121

There's a fundamental relationship at work here which probably guides the lawmakers.

The performance of an unpowered bike is directly linked to the health and fitness of the rider. Those capable of the highest performance are likely to have the fastest reactions, the greater awareness and the best eyesight, all usually through being more youthful.

Conversely a power assisted bike providing as much as four times the rider's effort in addition can greatly exceed the safe capabilities of someone far less well endowed through age or unfitness.

That of course is true of all powered vehicles, hence them requiring operator testing, licencing, insurance and traceability. You can have more power assisted speed legally, even more power, but they come with those impositions for good reasons.
Indeed, and weight is another consideration. An older heavier cyclist on a heavy ebike might weigh let's say 50% more than a fit cyclist on a light machine, that's 50% more momentum and kinetic energy to be lost in an emergency stop extending stopping distances by 50 to 100% when reflex times are also taken into account. That's why I claim that high speed ebikes typically impose a greater risk to rider and others than push bikes.

D

Deleted member 25121

Because 25mph would be more than I need or want.
I'm only expressing my wishes and desires here, appertaining to my ebike.
But some people might want it to be 25mph, would you agree to that limit? Or how about 30mph?

youngoldbloke

Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2018
South West
The law applies to everyone not just you, so they have to cover the worst case scenario. They have to prevent idiots from doing stupid things, not allow everyone to use their discretion on what they think is a suitable speed for the conditions they're riding in. That's why we have rules and limits. If all cyclists had an IQ of 140 plus and they only rode on not busy open roads on well-maintained bikes, I'm sure that we'd get a few more concessions, but the average IQ is 100, there is no MOT test for electric bikes and people want to ride their bikes through busy parks where kids are playing out of control. I've seen people ride their bike into the shop with no working brakes at all to ask about a new battery!
I get the impression that you don't understand that the 25kph/15.5mph figure refers to the speed at which the motor stops providing assistance. It is not a maximum speed limit. There is no limit to the speed at which one might propel the e-bike, anymore than an unassisted one.

BazP

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 8, 2017
Sheffield
But some people might want it to be 25mph, would you agree to that limit? Or how about 30mph?
Yes I would be in agreement with any legal limit, or no limit at all but I would still ride along at my preferred pace of 18 - 20mph. Not everywhere I hasten to add, Justin places where the motor cut off annoys me now.

youngoldbloke

Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2018
South West
Indeed, and weight is another consideration. An older heavier cyclist on a heavy ebike might weigh let's say 50% more than a fit cyclist on a light machine, that's 50% more momentum and kinetic energy to be lost in an emergency stop extending stopping distances by 50 to 100% when reflex times are also taken into account. That's why I claim that high speed ebikes typically impose a greater risk to rider and others than push bikes.
- shouldn't we therefore restrict the older, heavier cyclist on a non-assisted bike? Or impose a speed limit on heavily loaded touring bikes? I'm 60kg, I'm fitter than most my age, why should I be penalised?

Ocsid

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2017
Hampshire
Because the kinetic energy involved is related to the speed squared?
So, going from 15.5 mph to only 20 mph results in 66% more energy.

youngoldbloke

Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2018
South West
Because the kinetic energy involved is related to the speed squared?
So, going from 15.5 mph to only 20 mph results in 66% more energy.
But on occasion I'm still able to cycle at approaching 20mph anyway under leg-power alone. As I keep pointing out the 15.5mph assistance cut off has nothing to do with maximum speed. Are you calling for a general speed limit for all cyclists? That would seem to be the logical outcome of many of these posts.

D

Deleted member 25121

Yes I would be in agreement with any legal limit, or no limit at all but I would still ride along at my preferred pace of 18 - 20mph. Not everywhere I hasten to add, Justin places where the motor cut off annoys me now.
But if the assistance limit was upped to 20mph it would be equally annoying to somebody who wanted assistance at 23-25mph. My point is that the assistance limit has to be set to something and whatever it's set to is going to be annoying to people who want assistance a little bit faster. The authorities couldn't keep upping the assistance limit because some people have reason to find the current limit annoying for whatever reason.

Reactions: mike killay
D

Deleted member 25121

- shouldn't we therefore restrict the older, heavier cyclist on a non-assisted bike? Or impose a speed limit on heavily loaded touring bikes? I'm 60kg, I'm fitter than most my age, why should I be penalised?
For the same reasons there are blanket speed limits for all cars.

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
As commented by flecc above, older, heavier cyclists are effectively self-limiting. And so are heavily loaded touring bikes. (in both cases, with the exception of downhill). You aren't being penalised by being limited to 25kph assisted; quite the reverse you are being privileged by being able to pedal unassisted at 20mph on the flat.

youngoldbloke

Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2018
South West
For the same reasons there are blanket speed limits for all cars.
- but there is NO speed limit for bicycles assisted or unassisted. There is no limit to the speed an inexperienced, unfit, overweight rider might try to propel their new 7kg carbon framed bike - perhaps there should be? How am I being protected from harm by being limited to 15.5mph assistance on my 15kg Orbea Gain e-bike? I can still ride it faster than that in the right circumstances, just as I was able to ride unassisted bikes before medical issues arose. Many of these posts simply make no sense.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
I get the impression that you don't understand that the 25kph/15.5mph figure refers to the speed at which the motor stops providing assistance. It is not a maximum speed limit. There is no limit to the speed at which one might propel the e-bike, anymore than an unassisted one.
Thanks for letting me know. I've only been riding, building and fixing electric bikes for a decade, and I never knew that. You learn something new every day. Does that mean that I don't have to swap out my motor-wheel every time I go to Asda, where the steep downhill makes me go over 15 .5 mph? It's a right pain because it takes about half an hour to get it out for the sake of a 5 minute ride. Just as well that I have all that practice from 10 years. It would probably take anyone else at least an hour.

How would they know that the motor is stopped? I don't want to get arrested.

• :D
Reactions: flecc

youngoldbloke

Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2018
South West
Thanks for letting me know. I've only been riding, building and fixing electric bikes for a decade, and I never knew that. You learn something new every day. Does that mean that I don't have to swap out my motor wheel every time I go to Asda, where the steep downhill makes me go over 15 .5 mph? It's a right pain because it takes about half an hour to get it out for the sake of a 5 minute ride. Just as well that I have all that practice from 10 years. it would probably take anyone else at least an hour.

How would they know that the motor is stopped? I don't want to get arrested.
Are you serious??

• :D
Reactions: flecc