Disregarding UK pedelec laws

• Thread starter Deleted member 25121
  • Start date

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
Get a Vespa and leave 'em standing...
i can with what i have and can go off road and down canel path ect but at the end of the day they can drain my batt down till it is flat and they can still keep going.

Wicky

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2014
Colchester, Essex
www.jhepburn.co.uk
I don't want a moped or motor bike, just a couple of mph extra assistance to allow me to continue riding as I have done for the last 60 years or so.
Take your pick

youngoldbloke

Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2018
South West
Take your pick

Not a single drop bar bike there at all - this is more my style 32335Orbea Gain

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

Wicky

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2014
Colchester, Essex
www.jhepburn.co.uk
With a speed pedelec you've got a motor assisting you to 28mph so you don't need drops! The unresticted motor helps overcome the aerodynamic drag. If you feel as if you still need them fit aftermarket ones.

Wicky

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2014
Colchester, Essex
www.jhepburn.co.uk

youngoldbloke

Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2018
South West
Take your pick MkII

We're going round in circles - I have an Orbea Gain, same EBM system as the Wilier, same 15.5mph/25kph assistance cut off. All I want is a more sensible extra 2-3mph assistance!

Wicky

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2014
Colchester, Essex
www.jhepburn.co.uk
Whatever you choose you'll still be accused of cheating by unpowered riders... no matter what it looks like, drops or not.

youngoldbloke

Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2018
South West
Whatever you choose you'll still be accused of cheating by unpowered riders... no matter what it looks like, drops or not.
People I ride with are very understanding - as long as I don't ride like an a***hole up the hills, as I said - it's bad form! After all they can drop me easily when the road levels out.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

youngoldbloke

Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2018
South West
AFAIK there is only one fix available, so far, from a set up in Australia, and the reviews are not very positive.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I was a club cyclist in the 60s and 70s and this is nonsense.
No it is not nonsense. I was in the cycle trade from the early 1950s, including selling and fitting the petrol add-on cycle motors of that era, and know the scene then and the history throughout only too well. The huge decline in cycling in the '60s and 70's caused a halving of all retail cycle outlets and even the closure of some wholesalers. The trade only picked up again with the arrival here of the Mountain bike in 1980, another form of sport cycling. Club riding is and always has been widely considered to be a sporting style of riding, the drop handlebars and frequent wearing of specific cycling clothing such as Lycra bearing witness to that fact.

Again, nonsense! I'm not a 'utility cyclist' and you are obviously not a road cyclist, and have absolutely no appreciation for our situation, or understanding of our way of riding.
This is so wrong it's almost funny. I live in the North Downs, a very popular area for club cycling and training rides and on one occasion of the Tour de France starting in London, the competitors wre hosted by our local club. They were taking them on training rides during the two week s prior to the race start. So I see club riders all the time, know a few of them and fully understand and appreciate your way of cycling, but it has nothing whatsoever to do with power assisting bicycles.

I don't understand why you are so contemptuous of those for whom cycling is more than a simply functional 'utility' exercise.
I am not in any way contemptuous of your favoured form of cycling, I strongly support all forms of cycling. What does annoy me though is when someone like yourself presumes to lecture me when they know so little about the subject. By that I mean that if your bike cuts off power at 15.5 mph, you've bought the wrong bike, despite how fine the Orbea Gain is.

What you should have bought to suit your riding is an S class e-bike, since their maximum permitted assist cut off is at 45 kph (28 mph). They can also be up to 500 watts to enable that, though most are 350 watts. That would mean you'd need to register it under the equivalent moped L1e-B class and have a rear number plate and third party insurance, the only way they are permitted here. It's little different elsewhere though, only three other countries in Europe, Germany, The Netherlands and Switzerland permitting them, and also under the same conditions. In most USA states they are banned.

Over the whole 13 year life of this forum we've suffered a constant stream of pedelecers posting as you've done on this subject, all needing to be informed and all arguing back. Indeed it's been the most irritating of all the forum's aspects.

You've posted in the Electric Bikes general discussion forum, but we do have a Speed Pedelecs general discussion forum specifically for your interests, showing we are far from contemptuous of your riding style. Here's the link.

D

Deleted member 25121

We're going round in circles - I have an Orbea Gain, same EBM system as the Wilier, same 15.5mph/25kph assistance cut off. All I want is a more sensible extra 2-3mph assistance!
Why don't you buy a high speed ebike, they're perfectly legal?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
You may not get what you want even if there is no restriction,. Hub motors like yours have there rotation speed largely tied to the motor winding, and that is usually specified for the bike's legal purpose. The only way to defeat that form of limit is to use an increased voltage battery since that changes the speed pro rata.

I notice the Wilier you mentioned is also limited to 15.5 mph assist.