Disregarding UK pedelec laws

• Thread starter Deleted member 25121
  • Start date

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
One of the most common collisions here is cars pulling out or turning across cyclist paths, the drivers having not seen the cyclists. At 12 mph or less the cyclist can stop or doesn't have a severe collision having slowed, but at 20 or more they go over the bars and often get badly hurt. That's happened to many of our members.
The one that really stands out for me, was the incident when the driver pulled across in front of Darren from Brightonebikes. That was very scary.

Sadly the clip is no longer available. https://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/threads/sorry-he-has-a-problem-with-his-eyes-says-the-passenger.26642/

trevor brooker

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 11, 2018
maidstone
Road accidents and safety statistics
https://www.gov.uk/government/collections/road-accidents-and-safety-statistics#road-casualty-annual-statistics-
"In 2017, car occupants accounted for 44% of road deaths, pedestrians 26%, motorcyclists 19% and pedal cyclists 6%
The pattern for pedal cycles is an interesting one: the overall casualty rate of around 5,600 casualties per billion miles cycled is close to the motorcycling casualty rate, whereas the fatality rate of 30.9 per billion miles cycled is much closer to the pedestrian rate."

+so cyclists on the road suffer similar casualty rates whether on motorbikes or pedal bikes - so the speed of the cyclist does not materially change the chance of an accident

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
+so cyclists on the road suffer similar casualty rates whether on motorbikes or pedal bikes - so the speed of the cyclist does not materially change the chance of an accident
Agreed, but the cyclist's speed usually does materially change the scale of injuries from the accident.

Also one of the most common collisions motorcyclists suffer is the same as for bikes, vehicles pulling out in front of or turning across them due to not seeing them coming.

I think saying the majority of cyclist accidents is being struck from behind is too simplistic. That article states that nearly half (43%) were due to the cyclist failing to look properly, so under cyclist control.

Conversely, when a vehicle pulls out or turns across a cyclist, causing a collision, that cyclist can't avoid that, only alleviate it with moderate speed.

Hence my emphasis on choice of speed, dealing with what a cyclist can control to ensure their safety.

Steve Bowles

Pedelecer
Mar 23, 2018
St Leonards, England
I had to kiss the road when I was turning right at a junction, and a Millennial female turned left in front of me. She barely slowed down as I was lying flat on the road. Two passers-by helped me to my feet, and got me on my bike. She was nowhere to be seen.

Jayfdee

Pedelecer
Nov 14, 2018
Ok I know this is an old thread, but if you kill or seriously injure someone on an illegal bike, you are facing jail time,it has happened already to a non ebike cyclist with an illegal bike, ie missing brakes.
I ride legally with 3rd party cover, yes, I am not a youth.

Reactions: Michael Price

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Ok I know this is an old thread, but if you kill or seriously injure someone on an illegal bike, you are facing jail time,it has happened already to a non ebike cyclist with an illegal bike, ie missing brakes.
I ride legally with 3rd party cover, yes, I am not a youth.
You're quite correct.

There were approximately 120 people, who became millionaires in the last year by winning the national Lottery. One guy went to jail for crashing his illegal bike. There was also the guy that was riding a legal bike legally when he crashed into a girl crossing on a red light while texting on her phone. He had to pay £100,000 and lost his house. Some people are lucky and some aren't.

georgehenry

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2015
Surrey
No. The pothole was quite small but very deep, my friend didn't even see it and he was only doing about 30mph. Had he been on a bike doing 20mph he'd have been off and if a car had been overtaking at the same time he'd probably be dead now.
Same result at 15mph me thinks. Actually hitting a small diameter pothole at speed is safer than at a slower speed as it gives you the chance to bridge the gap with your front wheel, however best of all is for the council to fill them in and to avoid them if you can.

paradime

Just Joined
Jan 7, 2019
When are the new EU rules for motor sizes coming into force. I'm disabled and have to use a heavy trike but with the 250W motor it can only climb a very moderate slope.
Thanks for any information.
Peter

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
When are the new EU rules for motor sizes coming into force. I'm disabled and have to use a heavy trike but with the 250W motor it can only climb a very moderate slope.
Peter
There are no new rules 250w is pedelecs legal and that is it.
There are other class uses for 25km/h bikes with 1000w motors but these have to be type certificated, SVA'd and have insurance. Require user to wear a helmet and come under a different class of vehicle altogether

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Peter
Show us which trike you have. There a few options that give you enough torque to climb any hill whilst still being legal.

paradime

Just Joined
Jan 7, 2019
Thanks for reply. I don't have a photo but the trike but it's one I built from a kit. It has 26 inch wheels with a 250 hub motor on front wheel. I do have a 1000 watt hub motor on a front on a wheel but thought it was not legal to use it.
Maybe you can give me some help
Regards Peter

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

:p

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Thanks for reply. I don't have a photo but the trike but it's one I built from a kit. It has 26 inch wheels with a 250 hub motor on front wheel. I do have a 1000 watt hub motor on a front on a wheel but thought it was not legal to use it.
Maybe you can give me some help
Regards Peter
There are a lot of different ways to get more torque, but a 1000w motor won't help you.. Probably the easiest is to get a Xiongda 2-speed motor and controller set. You can get them by emailing Bonnie Xiong at bonnie@xiongdamotor.com.cn. The controller, LCD and motor cost about £250 including shipping.
Assuming that you have a 36v battery, email like this.
Can you supply me qty 1 36v 2-speed front motor, qty 1 LCD, qty1 36v controller and ship to UK?

The motor automatically changes down to a lower gear, like a winch when it starts to struggle up a hill. It's not very fast in climbing mode at about 6 mph, but it can manage anything. In high gear, it will do about 22 mph unless you set the 15 mph speed limit in the LCD.

The motor is suitable for rim brake wheels. It might be a bit wide if you have a disc brake. You have to build it into a wheel yourself or get a bike shop to do it for you, so you need to add about £30 for rim and spokes. Maybe Xiongda can supply the motor already spoked. You have to ask.

You'll need at least one torque arm if you have aluminium forks.

• Useful
Reactions: LeighPing

paradime

Just Joined
Jan 7, 2019
There are a lot of different ways to get more torque, but a 1000w motor won't help you.. Probably the easiest is to get a Xiongda 2-speed motor and controller set. You can get them by emailing Bonnie Xiong at bonnie@xiongdamotor.com.cn. The controller, LCD and motor cost about £250 including shipping.
Assuming that you have a 36v battery, email like this.
Can you supply me qty 1 36v 2-speed front motor, qty 1 LCD, qty1 36v controller and ship to UK?

The motor automatically changes down to a lower gear, like a winch when it starts to struggle up a hill. It's not very fast in climbing mode at about 6 mph, but it can manage anything. In high gear, it will do about 22 mph unless you set the 15 mph speed limit in the LCD.

The motor is suitable for rim brake wheels. It might be a bit wide if you have a disc brake. You have to build it into a wheel yourself or get a bike shop to do it for you, so you need to add about £30 for rim and spokes. Maybe Xiongda can supply the motor already spoked. You have to ask.

You'll need at least one torque arm if you have aluminium forks.
Well thanks very much for that information. I have sent an enquiry to alibaba and look forward to hearing from them. (I already have two fitted torque arms !!)
Thanks one again
Peter

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Let us know how you get on. Xiongda are a small family business. They're the most helpful Chinese company that I've ever dealt with, and their after-sales support is exemplary. Let us know how you get on.

youngoldbloke

Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2018
South West
Having reread the thread I get the impression that many of the contributors appear to believe that ebikes have a legal upper speed limit of 15.5mph. Full stop.
As I understand it the limit only applies to the speed at which assistance from the motor should cease. My legal assisted-bike motor cuts out at 15.5mph, I can continue to pedal, my speed rises, I am still riding legally. There is no upper limit to my speed other than the power of my legs. I am puzzled as to how any observer might know whether I am riding a legally or illegally assisted bike. I'm surprised that Pedelec members appear to be confused about this.
As to the wisdom of riding bicycles at higher speed - that's another matter.

BazP

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 8, 2017
Sheffield
Having reread the thread I get the impression that many of the contributors appear to believe that ebikes have a legal upper speed limit of 15.5mph. Full stop.
As I understand it the limit only applies to the speed at which assistance from the motor should cease. My legal assisted-bike motor cuts out at 15.5mph, I can continue to pedal, my speed rises, I am still riding legally. There is no upper limit to my speed other than the power of my legs. I am puzzled as to how any observer might know whether I am riding a legally or illegally assisted bike. I'm surprised that Pedelec members appear to be confused about this.
As to the wisdom of riding bicycles at higher speed - that's another matter.
I suppose that nobody knows or cares unless you are involved in an accident (even at 5mph) after which an inspection of your bike will reveal that it is chipped. That is a risk that a lot of us choose to take, or not.