Dodgy Ebay Listing

D

Deleted member 4366

I reported it to gumtree too, so maybe when they get multiple complaints they act.

Reactions: jerrysimon
C

Cyclezee

Yesterday afternoon I emailed the seller with some 'probing' questions rather than Gumtree.
Some hours later I got this message from Gumtree.
Hi there,

You replied to the ad "Brompton M2L-X (Titanium) - Super Lightweight Electric Pedelec Conversion (Ad ref 1093478241)" on Friday 19/12. It has been flagged/reported that the user who posted that ad may be involved in suspicious activity and/or in breaching the Gumtree Terms of Use. We are investigating this matter, but want you to be safe in the meantime. If you are still in contact with the user, we recommend that you consider the advice below:

• If you have not shared any personal information with this user, you don't need to do anything. Your email address is protected by Gumtree and they won't be able to contact you.
  • If you have sent any personal information to this user, like your bank details or date of birth, you could be at risk. Follow our safety advice.
  • If you have sent an item or money to this user please contact us on safety@gumtree.com

Thanks,

The Gumtree Team

Reactions: jerrysimon

jerrysimon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2009
Cambridge, UK
Better than the response I got, which told me they do not get involved with contact between users and suggested I contact the seller and tell him not to use my pictures!

Jerry

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
As an aside to this topic, and to make it more visible, it probably wouldn't be a bad thing if the stolen bikes section was moved from it's present location, to under the dealer/manufactures promotions/offers heading in the main forum section.

I'm sure that I can't be the only one not to bother scrolling down past the technical section.

Last edited:

jerrysimon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2009
Cambridge, UK
Reported again sigh......

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
A while ago someone used some of my photos and text description on ebay and I got the listing removed straight away..
I have found that the most effective way to do this is by opening a chat with eBay and actually speaking to someone rather than messages and emails. Another point is that ebay allows photo sharing and you have to opt out by unticking a check box.
I am regularly amazed by how some can be taken in by adds like this... I suppose it's a sheep and wolf thing.

jerrysimon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2009
Cambridge, UK
Thanks, The photos are not from ebay as I have never listed on there. I still own it and have no plans to sell it as I use it every day. Its not actually got that motor setup on it anymore anyway. The photos are copied from here or my Flickr account.

Agree given the feedback as you say it amazing people even bid unless he has other accounts he is bidding under.

Jerry

D

Deleted member 4366

Everybody needs to report it to get it removed again. You just click on the "report item" on the rhs under the top part of the listing and then select three boxes.

Kenny

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 13, 2007
West of Scotland
Reported.

I'm not surprised there trying again. They can make a real killing with these scams.

I foolishly got sucked into a Gumtree Ad a few years ago and lost a sizeable amount of money.

When you're really interested in an item you can miss telltale signs that seem obvious later.

You live and learn :(.

jerrysimon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2009
Cambridge, UK
Thanks guys. Or why don't they delete his account ?

Jerry

D

Deleted member 4366

If you start a chat with them, you can explain what's going on, so they might take more substantial action. The trouble is, you have to wait at your pc for about 40 minutes before the chat starts.

jonathan75

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2013
Hertfordshire
It's basically one guy... couldn't one of us use our cunning to arrange a meetup to hand over some very large (yet actually nonexistent) amount of cash... and arrange some help from the boys in blue? after all most scammers have a weakness - usually their greed.

he says he's based in london, well i live just outside of london and i could do the honours if someone else can get a bite.

jonathan75

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2013
Hertfordshire
Oh and an alternative is that we all pile in and bid the thing up to silly money, like £10k, and then whoever wins gets to ask him why he's got a photo of our pal's bike. That seems easier. That or arranges a meetup for cash handover with the boys in blue in attendance.

johnc461165

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 19, 2011
WN6
Sent this guy a message about collecting the bike if I won the auction, he say's he is working in Bradford at the moment and I would have to go there to collect it.