E-Bike Of The Year 2009?

Pedalo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 10, 2009
Blimey...What a prosaic bunch:)
LOL. Sorry - Having only been aware of E-bikes for a couple of months it's all still new and exciting to me!

I'll try harder next year :D

carpetbagger

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 20, 2007
blackburn
ok, i have had a re think.....
New Bike ...... Kalkhoff Agattu
Dream Bike.....Optibike
Kit bIke.....Blew its creation

Last edited:

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
There are a few bikes that look awsome, go like smelly stuff of a shovel and might rate as ebike of the year but I was restricting my choice to road legal in the UK.

Otherwise I would have mentioned this again :)

http://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/electric-bicycles/4932-elmoto-not-pedelc-but-looks-cool.html
Why restrict yourself, its the bike of the year after all. never saw any conditions attached......I would like to add one:) it can not be a boring German nut cruncher without a throttle.

re your elmoto, there are loads of these E motocross style and E quads etc.... around now. I dont think they can be considered bicycles

Hugh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2009
Bike of the year

Kalkhoff Pro Connect S - New bike

Kit bike - I dinna ken.

Kalkhoff may be boring and German (see also BMW/Audi/Merc/VW); it's also very good quality, looks good and works well (see also.......) Mind you, he would say that wouldn't he, to coin a phrase.

Merry Christmas to all.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Last year I voted for the Agattu, which I still think is the best general purpose reasonably priced quality bike
available. However, time for something different.

This year I'm voting for the traditional Powabyke, yes really! Here's why:

1) For ten years this traditional bike has reliably flown the flag for e-biking through all the years when e-biking
was little known.

2) The company has given good service thoughout when few e-bike suppliers supplied any sort of service,
making them our friends for the example they set to others.

3) Sold through local bike shops, these have been the entry into e-biking for many and given sterling service
for utility cyclists.

4) The £500 that many have to pay for a new battery now would have kept a Powabyke owner in new batteries
for the whole decade with some change left over.

5) These models may be heavy and old tech, but they climb better than most, don't just cut out when the going
gets steep and have a good range as well.

6) The recession has brought a bad patch for the company, and it's when they are down that we stand by our
friends.

So for all these reasons it is uniquely the e-bike of the decade and I recognise that by voting as e-bike of 2009
this representative model:

New bike......Powabyke Euro

Last edited:

carpetbagger

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 20, 2007
blackburn
wow,,,not only have i got the Grand masters bike of the year for last year but also for this year....what will my next bike be ? :)

carpetbagger

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 20, 2007
blackburn
i am still sticking with my kalkhoff,,,like Flecc says the Powabyke is a great bike...but the Kalkhoff is something else.I am quietly hoping ther is no bike of the year for a few years....i don't thing my wife would appreciate it. I have still got my cheapo Aldi mountain bike which generally i take on holiday as its thats scratched and rusty it wouldn't matter if somebody took it.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
wow,,,not only have i got the Grand masters bike of the year for last year but also for this year....what will my next bike be ? :)
You are obviously a man of impeccable taste carpetbagger. :)

I'll let you vote for me next year. :D

carpetbagger

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 20, 2007
blackburn
I bought the Powabyke before i found this forum,so i can't give you any credit there,sorry Flecc,but the Kalhoff was sold to me mainly by yourself and the other members of the forum so i would like to say one big thankyou to everyone.

C

Cyclezee

My new bike vote goes to the Kalkhoff Pro Connect S;)
P1010928.JPG
My kit bike vote goes to a certain Bionx PL 350 powered Carrera Vulcan:cool:
P1020820.JPG
J:) hn

Last edited by a moderator:

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
I really like the 350 watt BionX

Matra the French company have taken on BionX and offer about 8 different bikes and the kits as well. ignore the flash bike on intro to site and click on "normal" looking bikes on far left and range appears. I like the I Step force @1750 Euro.

surely an enterprising dealer could introduce them here......

Matra Sports: solutions de transports électriques: vélos, cyclos, VTT électriques

YouTube - Test iStep Runner - jepedale.com

typically french and awful presentation, try and ignore the egits!:)

YouTube - Vélo électrique Matra I-step : vidéo de presentation

daniel.weck

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2009

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
John,

What are the rules for kit bikes? Do they need to be series production or do one-offs count?

http://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/electric-bicycles/4009-getting-ready-tour-de-presteigne.html

Nick
Whether you win kit bike of the year or not Nick, in my view you definitely qualify as the "e-bike rider of the year"
for these reasons:

1) Producing that bike.

2) Sweeping the board at Presteigne riding it.

3) Your strong support for the continuance of The Ching Challenge.

4) Creating and suppying the Ideal Diode to satisfy demand for a high efficiency way of paralleling batteries.

5) Your technical support within the forum.

Tiberius

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 9, 2007
Somerset
Tony, now you're embarrassing me. I haven't even got to 1000 posts yet.
Moreover, my total e-bike mileage isn't that great. What about the people who are commuting serious distances, like Frank9755, Conal and others?

So who does the highest annual e-bike mileage? Let's have an award for that.

Nick

Last edited:

Conal

Pedelecer
Sep 28, 2007
Sweeping the board

Flecc

Nick needs to dress up next year if he wants to do that!