Failed on my first big hill

Mar 9, 2016
Hmm wife on hub drive and me on crank drive. Well there are some very steep hills in Bristol and both bikes got up. Efficiency with the two speed hub drives that Daveh talks about and a max assistance speed of 25 kph the efficient zones will cover 3-25 Kph. Just like a crank will.
Some people use the wrong gears and make the engines run inefficiently.
Some might try to hard at the start of the season and then tire before the day is out.
And some like to eat popcorn and watch the fight
That's a fair point and well expressed. I cant comment because I haven,t tried a two speed hub and I,d guess you are correct ( or somebody is) with a bike speed of 3 to 25 kmh and two ratios available it should be possible to keep motor in its efficient range .
Perhaps this point should have been pointed out to original poster.??
Which bikes are fitted with 2 speed hub drives ? Only ones I,ve tried are single....
Having said that the higher ratio ( well actually lower) will have to still cope with higher speeds than 25 kmh ( especially if soubdwave has it) for non powered descents ? Unless it also freewheels.??
CD drives have at least 8 ratios and upto 20. ( my haibike can be fitted with double chain ring)
But fair point. I will try and ride one.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Which bikes are fitted with 2 speed hub drives ? Only ones I,ve tried are single.....
There are two, one from Xionda, the other from SRAM. They don't need any higher ratio than their second internal motor gear gives, since the rider still has their derailleur for fast downhills at over the 15 mph assist limit.

But that's just one approach for having a hub motor for steep hills.

The other way is from Bafang with the BPM and CST motors, Ezee with their hub motor and Panasonic with their rear hub motor. That is to have much higher power and torque than the run of the mill Bafangs. They are excellent hill climbers, climbing at higher speeds due to their greater ability, so making the climb shorter as already mentioned. The shorter climb time largely balances the higher consumption so the range is still reasonable. Having long experience of both CD and hub motors, I've settled on Ezee bikes for my hilly area, fine for both hill climbing and trailer pulling.

It's relevant that Panasonic have been making bikes for over half a century and were making e-bikes over a decade before Bosch. With far greater knowledge of the subject than Bosch, they still regard it worthwhile making both CD units and front and rear hub motors.

No experienced company in this field has yet settled on one type as the right answer for powering e-bikes, hence both being made by more than one maker.

KevinMull

Pedelecer
Mar 25, 2016
Not true, but I'll let you off. Winnats is a whole 300 feet more of climbing, and even with the more gentle gradients at the top and bottom included in my segment it has an average grade of 11% compared to Cromford at 9%. A whole different league really.

Winnats http://www.strava.com/segments/10040936 there's a big error in this particular profile.

Cromford https://www.strava.com/segments/1494228?filter=overall

ETA Just made a new segment for the steepest part (although the new mapping doesn't allow for much accuracy on the start and end points.
http://www.strava.com/segments/11810750?filter=overall
OK. Im not so sure now, looks a bit daunting and narrow towards the top. Maybe wait until i'm a bit fitter.

Artstu

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2009
OK. Im not so sure now, looks a bit daunting and narrow towards the top. Maybe wait until i'm a bit fitter.
It could prove an interesting hill for some retailers or owners out there to show just how good their bikes can climb hills. My experience of other e-bikes is extremely limited, although I do know my bike is not considered to be a good hill climber, so my time up there should be very easy to beat, especially on bikes that will climb gradients like that with no rider input.

Skip to 8 minutes in

Last edited:
Mar 9, 2016
Y
That problem only relates to the hub-motor on a specific bike. If you had a hub-motor with more torque at 5 mph of which there's many, it wouldn't slow down and stall out.

I can turn your argument right around by saying that I tried a kalkhoff with 26v CD up a steep hill. It completely stalled out, leaving me to push it. Next, I tried a bike with a hub-motor up the same hill, and it sailed up with little effort.

another example: I just converted a Bromptom with a tiny 200w Q85 motor. It could drag my 100 kg up a 14% hill without pedalling. The guy that has it now complains that the front wheel has so much torque that it loses traction going up very steep hills.

Some bikes and motors are better at some things than others, but you can't make a general conclusion by testing an unrepresentative sample.

I've done lots of tests with wattmeters and side-by-side comparisons. That data tells me that crank drives are not more efficient, and it also shows me that crank-motors don't climb hills better than hub-motors.

Finally, when did a crank-drive ever win the Bristol World Championships hill climb? I'll tell you. Never! It was won each time by a bike with a 250w hub-motor, last time by a guy that had hardly ridden a bike. I rest my case.
You can not quote climbing one hill as an example of a particular bike being a good climber.
Yes no doubt over a fairly short duration ( Bristol hill climb is 2 miles) and bike going at its optimum speed and a fair chance that 250w motor churning out treble that a hub motor would win.( or be capable of winning)
But that has nothing at all to do with what OP did and what most recreational riders do.
They go out for 3 hours riding or so. Over that time a CD unit will be running in its perfect zone wether you are going hell for leather up a long shallow gradient or twiddling granny ring at 3 mph up some really steep climb, probably knackered.
How can anyone argue sensibly that a bike with no gears for motor can compete with one with at least
8 over an entire spectrum of speeds us beyond me. Yes if hill happens to suit ratio within hub ( and you) well great. But as we tire over the day cd gives chance to gear down and still keep motor in its perfect rpm range.

Send the bloke who won Bristol Hill climb around Derbyshire for 30 miles then get him to race up the hill and see wether he beats CD bike that's followed him all afternoon.
I said ages ago, yes a hub drive would get me half way up pico neulous twice as quick...but I want to get to top..ok slowly...but it gets there..
A race up one or two hills ( short ones at that) is not the true measure of a bikes ( and riders) climbing ability..
Out all day, climbing hundreds and hundreds of feet,over a distance of 30 miles or more on a 400wh battery any cd ( Bosch/ Yam/ Impulse) would beat any hub drive made.?????
How many times have you ever heard any rider say they had failed a hill on CD ??
I,ve ridden hub drives you could barely recognise as being powered, yes probably poor ones. Yet to ride a disappointing CD bike...

I,m heading for Winnats ASAP...I might be ordering a hub drive ??? We,ll see.

Last edited:
Reactions: RobF and Artstu

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
you think you could get ur bike up this hill?

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
could you go up it faster than the cheese can go down it tho me thinks you need to go 100mph to do that.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
if i get to the top ill go down it never 1 the cheese tho ;(

Jason Scott

Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2014
I'm not technically minded when it comes to bikes, and I was out off hub motors due to the complexity they add to the wheel, making work on the wheel more difficult. I like the relative simplicity of crank drives for maintenance.

One other observation - the tone of these discussions does a lot to put off potential buyers. I've looked at Pedelecs for about 18 months before finally buying one this year and it was only possible by going to local shops and talking with retailers. If I'd used these forums to decide which bike to buy I'd still be procrastinating!

Mar 9, 2016
I'm not technically minded when it comes to bikes, and I was out off hub motors due to the complexity they add to the wheel, making work on the wheel more difficult. I like the relative simplicity of crank drives for maintenance.

One other observation - the tone of these discussions does a lot to put off potential buyers. I've looked at Pedelecs for about 18 months before finally buying one this year and it was only possible by going to local shops and talking with retailers. If I'd used these forums to decide which bike to buy I'd still be procrastinating!
Good point.
Think forum is populated by very well meaning, technically gifted , enthusiastic "racing" cyclists..Many seem to judge bikes abilities over short fast rides, where hub motors can compete...sort of uninitentionally misleads new folk..

Just try lots. Its a buyers market. Ignore stuff on here, go to open days, borrow council stuff, have a go on strangers bikes....then buy a CD drive.

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
No with all due respect you are not just saying. You are advertising. Some forums do not allow it. Hardly think you are going to be objective ??
And with all due respect to other posters suspect this is an issue on forum.
How many posters on here have a vested interest in hub drives or modifying pedelecs into ilegal ones..???
Advice to any posters.
Get to a dealer who can lend you CD drives and Hub drives. Borrow both for a few days.Many authorities are currently lending out pedelecs absolutely FOC for 3 months.Borrow a few and decide for yourselves who is talking BS and who isn't..

Ofcourse I didn't try every hub drive..but each legal one I did was only ok..every cd bike I borrowed was brilliant. ( Impulse/Bosch/Yam were all extremely impresssive.)
Do your own research and see what you think..
Absolutely not Flud, this thread was started by the OP to discuss the hill climbing abilities of his Wisper bike. I would never enter a thread and discuss my splendid bikes unless they were the subject of discussion. The reason I used that particular statement from one of my stockists (who also sell Bosch powered CD bikes) is because it was a third party report and very relevant.

Incidentally the person that wrote the independent report was out riding with her husband and business partner who was riding a bike with a Bosch Performance CD.

One of my longer drawn out and probably more boring posts in this thread explains I sell Bosch CD bikes, we are the national distributor for Riese and Muller, I very much like the Bosch CD it's an amazing system. I rode a Charger Mountain with CX motor home last night and am about to use it again to go back to the warehouse. Its brilliant! All I am saying is that we should not be so blinkered there are superb hub drive and CD bikes, both have their place in the market and will appeal to different people.

(I should add, tonight I will go back to my hub driven Wisper Torque)

All the best David

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs

Here here or is it hear hear?

Mar 9, 2016
Absolutely not Flud, this thread was started by the OP to discuss the hill climbing abilities of his Wisper bike. I would never enter a thread and discuss my splendid bikes unless they were the subject of discussion. The reason I used that particular statement from one of my stockists (who also sell Bosch powered CD bikes) is because it was a third party report and very relevant.

Incidentally the person that wrote the independent report was out riding with her husband and business partner who was riding a bike with a Bosch Performance CD.

One of my longer drawn out and probably more boring posts in this thread explains I sell Bosch CD bikes, we are the national distributor for Riese and Muller, I very much like the Bosch CD it's an amazing system. I rode a Charger Mountain with CX motor home last night and am about to use it again to go back to the warehouse. Its brilliant! All I am saying is that we should not be so blinkered there are superb hub drive and CD bikes, both have their place in the market and will appeal to different people.

(I should add, tonight I will go back to my hub driven Wisper Torque)

All the best David
Good post and fair comment..
So presumably its the fact that the Wisper does not suit the OP as to why he struggled on his maiden climb ?
Also having ridden the Bosch system and going back to your Wisper are you standing by your claim the latter is " a real alternative" to the former which suggests both systems would suit similar riders ?? This appears not to be the case.
Which system would you choose use on extended climbs ?
Which system would you recommend for OP. ?
Cherry picking a review on one system no matter what you claim answers neither question, It simply puts the onus back on OP getting fitter to use a bike he bought to make that task easier and less essential.
Did the OP buy the correct bike for his intended use ?

Its really difficult for a supplier/ retailer to take part in open forums without seeming to be biased. I,m surprised to see so many on Pedelecs forum non trade area ??

Artstu

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2009
Good post and fair comment..
So presumably its the fact that the Wisper does not suit the OP as to why he struggled on his maiden climb ?
Also having ridden the Bosch system and going back to your Wisper are you standing by your claim the latter is " a real alternative" to the former which suggests both systems would suit similar riders ?? This appears not to be the case.
Which system would you choose use on extended climbs ?
Which system would you recommend for OP. ?
Cherry picking a review on one system no matter what you claim answers neither question, It simply puts the onus back on OP getting fitter to use a bike he bought to make that task easier and less essential.
Did the OP buy the correct bike for his intended use ?

Its really difficult for a supplier/ retailer to take part in open forums without seeming to be biased. I,m surprised to see so many on Pedelecs forum non trade area ??
I was about to answer one point, but as you're ignoring us there's little point :p

but seriously I think he'd say try both, it's impossible to predict which bike someone will like, and then over time just to compound the decision a change in a riders fitness could mean a different system now suits them better than when they started out.

Last edited:
Mar 9, 2016
Taken out of context , was ironic suggesting posters make their own minds up by trying bikes out in their planned environment. ( Including ignoring my comments)
Ps my smilie system wont work...I,d have sccattered comment with them.
Its hard on forum to say stuff in manner it is intended..It was jovial irony. .