Gsm vs bbs01

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
@Bill, will do but I think so much depends on rider weight, effort and PAS level chosen. I've got 15 mile route that is half road, half trail , starts at sea level, ends at sea level with Devils Dyke in middle. I'll use PAS level 5 all the way, no throttle. I'm 11 stone and I won't change the speed limit. Ie a fully legal test at mid power

I'm well used to my 12.5ah 36v battery. I'll use that and combining the recharge time with the LCD levels I reckon I can make a good esstimate on ah used.

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
Did 15 miles with about 60% trail, 40% road with 700ft climb.

Level 5 all the way there and back with a few throttle blips when needed (just about 90 seconds total). It was hard work. I clicked over to level 6 and my god that made a huge difference. But I went back to 5 for test purposes!

Used about 4.5ah in total, maybe 5ah.

I will up the assist on the climbs next time.

Interestingly motor got barely warm despite all the climbs.

I did a 5 mile run on the flat earlier , level 9 with no Speed restrict. The casing was boiling hot, maybe the gsm doesn't like to desrestricted.

This test ride was set back to 25 kph (ie fully legal) and that's where it stays. Doing 15mph up a steep climb still feels very fast to me !

The down hill sections scared me a bit. The bike is so much more weighty and it feels it. Less like riding a springy mountain goat.

Also the backpack dolphin battery is too heavy for comfort on the trails (3.2kg) I think I will go Lipo (multistar) in longer term

My conclusion is the thing is rather efficient when used within law. Used without and the ah usage goes through the roof.

Last edited:

Geebee

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 26, 2010
Australia
I did a 5 mile run on the flat earlier , level 9 with no Speed restrict. The casing was boiling hot, maybe the gsm doesn't like to desrestricted.
Did you make sure the motor was spinning at high rpm's? if you make it lug it will get hot quick.
I have a BBS01 and with no rider input at max setting and no speed limit it gets slightly warm, less than the sun light causes, but I always change to keep it spinning at high rpm's and this is in hilly terrain.
The BBS01 on the flat on max and unlimited does not over heat but I have low gearing and an extremely aerodynamic trike, which again supports the let it spin fast theory, 20" wheel 11-32 rear and 46 front ring.
The 46 tooth ring on a 26" wheel would be lugging a lot in all except the lower gears with out a lot of pedal input.

Try the flat run again but assist to keep the rpm's up and gear down more if needed, I bet the temp plummets.

Last edited:
Reactions: trex

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
Did you make sure the motor was spinning at high rpm's? if you make it lug it will get hot quick.
I have a BBS01 and with no rider input at max setting and no speed limit it gets slightly warm, less than the sun light causes, but I always change to keep it spinning at high rpm's and this is in hilly terrain.
The BBS01 on the flat on max and unlimited does not over heat but I have low gearing and an extremely aerodynamic trike, which again supports the let it spin fast theory, 20" wheel 11-32 rear and 46 front ring.
The 46 tooth ring on a 26" wheel would be lugging a lot in all except the lower gears with out a lot of pedal input.

Try the flat run again but assist to keep the rpm's up and gear down more if needed, I bet the temp plummets.
I always pedal but I will try it again in a lower gear

Thanks for the explanation /tip

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
When I'm up and running I will be able to compare like for like with my 18a BBS with a 60 mile route to and from the downs, have yet to cable the rear mech and have a front caliper to service and bleed. Initial no load speed on thumb throttle show 34.6 mph but then settled to a legal cut off of 16.3mph,
on the road I am hoping for about 19-22mph with peddling. I have ordered a 12 -36 cassette as with my asthma I find the 11- 32 still a bit harsh for me climbing.

Man

Pedelecer
Sep 25, 2015
The first thing i do when my motor arrives is look for a chainring adapter.46 its really big.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Finshed the GSM conversion today with the final job being the hdb cut offs, I ditched the Hayes 9 for some nearly new Shim's I got off Fleabay a couple of days ago. Had a play with the lcd and speed was easy to de-restrict top throttle no load was 39.6 and lower end was 22.3, swapped the cassette to a 12/36 so will give me better climbing ability esp if I run out of battery again or forget my keys meaning I can't swap batt's. Shall go out for a test ride in the next day or so no pics yet but Friday looks a brighter day to take some. To gloomy today for pics so will take some may be Friday when the weather looks brighter.

Reactions: KirstinS

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
You will have to be patient Duncan, hopefully soon I can give a comparison to my BBS with 3 other e bikes I was in no hurry to get done. Kirsten has give some feed back above. The LCD functions are very easy to operate and setting parameters is a doddle, I have had the bike on a stand and fired it up by throttle and cranks as well as checking gear ops also testing the brakes all so far is well with no error codes appearing as had happened when I did a basic kit test a couple of weeks ago.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Right first ride on mtb/GSM with Nobby Nic's fitted, had to go on a local errand so just a quick 6 mile outing before I head off to work. This is in comparison kit wise to my BBBS 18a which has not been reprogrammed the bike was awesome nimble and quicker, nimbler because it is a Carbon frame and about 4kg lighter than the BBS/mtb.
Both kits are de-restricted on assist 1 and on throttle only the GSM accelerated very smoothly to 25.4 mph this is the only assist I tried throttle on. In pedelec mode the kit accelerated well to good speed from assist 4 - 9 ranging from 17- 29.6 mph in assist 1 - 3 I was able to still get 14- 16.5 mph though you could feel the legs having to work more in higher gears, this I can see being very good for longer rides with more time at hand to extend range and save battery for hill climbing and more technical riding. Unpowered with assist in 0 the bike road very well and felt like a normal bike and 14/15mph was quite easy in lower gears, the gearing range is 46 - 12/36 so looks like it is going to suit me nicely. The gear changing was quite smooth so looks like I have set this up very nicely pulling away in higher gears felt better then the BBS though I did use the throttle slightly to start off.The motor was luke warm to the touch something I have not noticed with the BBS, tomorrow I hope to go out locally to some parkland and woods for a 15-20 mile mud ride and if this goes well a 60 miler to the downs is next. Another plus who needs a dongle with a kit like this !!!

Last edited:
Reactions: anotherkiwi

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Sounds great! Because of the terrain here I was looking at 48 - 12/36 but if you are getting those speeds with the standard 46 I might not bother swapping out the standard cog.

Is it the controller area of the motor getting warm?

davidoco

Just Joined
Nov 12, 2015
hi guys, I've just converted by first ebike using the gsm kit. It's a Bickerton Docklands 26" folding bike which I bring on the train 3 days a week. The bike is used for commuting only. I plan to commute year round instead of just summer months and the killer is the wind on the home journey hence going electric. It's 10km each way. snapshots from navicomputer attached for each journey.

The bike weights 18.5 kg without the battery. Battery is 9ah 2.5kg extra. So 21kg in total with mudguards and lights. It's was a nice fast urban bike without the conversion but is just feels heavy now without assist, although leaving off the battery helps with that.

Using the 46 cog with 12/32 on rear.

I am delighted with the assist on the bike. I ride with assist 7 and gear 7 nearly all the time. I have speed limit set to 30kph and I find gear 8 causes the assist to come and go (obviously going over 30kph) but it's a push/resist feeling that I would prefer to be without. Plus the cadence feels much better on 7. So with assist 7 gear 7 I give a little but don't turn up in work in a sweat. I travel between 25kph and 28kph

I have the throttle installed but can't see when I might use it unless it is bucketing down rain and I just want to keep my head down.

The only negative so far is the brightness of the lcd at night is hard on your eyes. I've turned it down all the way but it is still too bright. I just turn it on to check and leave it off then.

I got great service from whoosh with the purchase and delivery to Ireland only took a day.
workbound.jpg homebound.jpg WP_20151031_10_34_19_Pro.jpg

Reactions: D C

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Sounds great! Because of the terrain here I was looking at 48 - 12/36 but if you are getting those speeds with the standard 46 I might not bother swapping out the standard cog.

Is it the controller area of the motor getting warm?

The side that was luke warm was the motor side, the controller is on the crank drive side so didn't feel that. Will try to see how its feels tomorrow on the crank side, will also take the Edge 20 so that I can post a link to Strava for some data.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Did near 23m ride this am and battery usage was heavy and more than I expected or experience with the BBS, albeit the going was very muddy and slippery in the woods, elevation gain was 400m and max cljmb 155m. Can't complain about kit performance as it coped very well mainly used assist 4 but 5 was used to gain extra boost and if you use any assist higher you get a lot of poke out of it. I wonder if as Kirsten mentioned the fact that de-restricted it eats the ah and range suffers badly, will have to replicate the same ride in restricted mode to see if any thing changes. Like for like the GSM in my view has more poke than the 18a BBS.
Again the motor side was luke warm the controller side/drive side was cool.

SteveRuss

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2015
Bristol, Uk
I

The BBS01 can be programmed via programming cable, the GSM can't do that but the AT 800S LCD that comes with the GSM 18A has a myriad of options
http://wooshbikes.co.uk/manuals/GSMkit-AT800S-lcd.pdf
That link doesn't work Trex. I did find the manual and it claims the following..

"Multiple parameter can be set through computer USB port, including Assist level / Wheel diameter / Voltage / Speed limit "

That said, it also claims you can change the speed limit without the use of USB and a computer.

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
Did near 23m ride this am and battery usage was heavy and more than I expected or experience with the BBS, albeit the going was very muddy and slippery in the woods, elevation gain was 400m and max cljmb 155m. Can't complain about kit performance as it coped very well mainly used assist 4 but 5 was used to gain extra boost and if you use any assist higher you get a lot of poke out of it. I wonder if as Kirsten mentioned the fact that de-restricted it eats the ah and range suffers badly, will have to replicate the same ride in restricted mode to see if any thing changes. Like for like the GSM in my view has more poke than the 18a BBS.
Again the motor side was luke warm the controller side/drive side was cool.
As it happens I did the same test ride yesterday de restricted and used 11ah !

It was windier but still, compared to a conservative 5ah last time with restriction in place

Very happy with kit performance as well. It feels like it has more grunt than a 250w bbs, does to me anyway

DuncanDK

Pedelecer
Aug 28, 2015
Hi guys

How do you meassure/calculate how many ah you use in your rides?
I have a 36V 14,5 Ah battery. It went from 42,0V to 35,0V in my last trip. Approximately 50 kilometers.

Can I calculate how many ah I used based on these numbers or do I need to include/do something else?