Has anyone heard of or tried Toseven mid drive?

alexfnoble

Pedelecer
Mar 22, 2023
my post was some sort of a joke . I mean that tsdz2 is perfectly capable motor for my needs . if you can make it better-i can't wait to try it . but so far you failed to convince me . 34tNW chainring is an example...tsdz2 did it easily . why can't you? I want smaller display. dz41 looks good . take a shot . the one you sell motor with is a no go for me ...
Where did i say it can't? I asked you to clarify the motor because theres a difference.
I needed that information before i could give you the correct answer

• Disagree
Reactions: lenny

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
you are mean first to Tongsheng. What have they done to your company?
A long time ago, in a country far far away... The Borg's Tongsheng faction travelled into the future and stole Toseven's mid-motor design, and added it's electronic and mechanical distinctiveness to it's own.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
but I'm expecting to use this chainrings in both motors...
...and it's tumbleweds again from Toseven reps :rolleyes: It's no surpise that there are still 12 available, days later:

• Informative

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Where did i say it can't? I asked you to clarify the motor because theres a difference.
Blaming potential buyers making enquiries, isn't a good look.

Seems you care a lot about something you’ve said you are not buying.
I'm certainly in the market for another mid-drive motor kit, but not a Tongsheng TSDZ2 - I'd need to be able to configure the firmware of any motor I buy, at least as extensively as the Bafang BBS01B. But I'm rapidly losing interest in Toseven's offerings.

Last edited:

pxl666

Pedelecer
Mar 24, 2023
how does it look for already available motors ? parts / fw configuration ?

• Agree

gaby1123

Just Joined
Apr 28, 2023
Bafang BBSHD looks like a JOKE now not to mention CYC Photon....
ToSEVEN mid drive (but the 1000w version) might be THE NEW kING! (lower power versions look a little too expensive)
PEOPLE here should be ASHAMED! I feel also - NO VIDEO about this motor- wow!
Now people starts to talk about TSDZ2 WHEN EVERYBODY was talking about the boring BBS02.

NOW ToSeven 1000w(the new OC tsdz2) WILL slowly gain market share because of crazy FANBOYS.
it looks so good that it seems that I designed it!!! ARGUMENTS???
If BBSHD is 5/10 now this has almost a perfect score AT LEAST ON PAPER!

1. For 600$ get torque sensor - BOOM! (bbshd?)
2. I went and talked (indirectly)with their engineer - Display supports up to 70v and CONTROLLER has 80v capacitor- MEANS with a BT BMS you can charge to 4.1v -69.7v -and have a 17s battery.
BOOM! no.2 (much more cooler)
3. 40:1 RATIO - what???? BBSHD? - BOOM! no 3. (more torque- cooler)
Last 2 points ar UNREAL!! Not even they know what they are selling.
But who i am talking to?>????? FANBOYS!!

• Dislike

pxl666

Pedelecer
Mar 24, 2023
Bafang BBSHD looks like a JOKE now not to mention CYC Photon....
ToSEVEN mid drive (but the 1000w version) might be THE NEW kING! (lower power versions look a little too expensive)
PEOPLE here should be ASHAMED! I feel also - NO VIDEO about this motor- wow!
Now people starts to talk about TSDZ2 WHEN EVERYBODY was talking about the boring BBS02.

NOW ToSeven 1000w(the new OC tsdz2) WILL slowly gain market share because of crazy FANBOYS.
it looks so good that it seems that I designed it!!! ARGUMENTS???
If BBSHD is 5/10 now this has almost a perfect score AT LEAST ON PAPER!

1. For 600$ get torque sensor - BOOM! (bbshd?)
2. I went and talked (indirectly)with their engineer - Display supports up to 70v and CONTROLLER has 80v capacitor- MEANS with a BT BMS you can charge to 4.1v -69.7v -and have a 17s battery.
BOOM! no.2 (much more cooler)
3. 40:1 RATIO - what???? BBSHD? - BOOM! no 3. (more torque- cooler)
Last 2 points ar UNREAL!! Not even they know what they are selling.
But who i am talking to?>????? FANBOYS!!
dude... take it easy . NO ONE installed this and reported how it works so far . NO ONE knows if the specs are fake or real. these motors are YETI as on now ... manufacturer leaks info slow as hell . cyc did the marketing job with photon and long before it went into market people can see that the product was real ... and it has its problems ...
so, chill out man - no one is hating here , we are just tired in the way that chinese companies do their marketing ...
since you appear so enthusiastic - go buy it and post YT video of how it performs

• Agree
Reactions: lenny and Woosh

Raboa

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2014
There's my thoughts.
1. Chainrings - people will make an adapter to fit standard chainrings as per BBS02 / HD. Make it that this is possible.
2. Software- not everybody wants to twerk their system but it is a very good selling point. This is what made Bafang mid drive so successful.
3. Make some videos and give it to resellers to test. Do Zoom calls so people can speak to somebody and ask the questions.
Credit has to go to the production staff coming on the forum, I think they underestimated the technical knowledge contained within its members. The questions being asked are not a person attack but technical questions being being put forward to you
I would buy this to replace my BBS02 if the price was reasonable and I could fit a 36 tooth chainring even if I had to use an adapter.

Reactions: Woosh

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Talking of Fanboys , looks like we have a DM02 Fanboy, getting very worked up or even a disgruntled To7 employee. Some one has got out of the wrong side of bed and decided to have a rant :D.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: lenny and guerney

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
cyc did the marketing job with photon and long before it went into market people can see that the product was real ... and it has its problems ...
I like the look of the CYC Photon. Who doesn't like ISIS bottom bracket instead of a square taper bottom bracket? Also, the chainring and clutch look very well machined, waterproofing also looks very good.
The only criticism I have of the CYC Photon is there is not yet YT video of a complete disassembly of the motor. Manufacturers must see the need for such video. It helps potential customers to understand the strengths of the product.

gaby1123

Just Joined
Apr 28, 2023
If you are talking about me first off im not a sales rep.

But hey im interested in any post's you are taking about because ive said nothing bad about tongsheng
Hi. You really represent ToSeven. I hope!
Please tell these people what 21:1 ratio vs 40:1.
You increase the TORQUE - the "force" - without the NEED TO draw MORE power - more WATTS.
Correct?
In case you did not know - I KNOW!! - you can add a 60v nominal (even 63v one) to your 1000w dm01.
PULLING more VOLTAGE but LESS amps for the same amount of power DOESN'T MAKE the motor cooler?????!? No, it makes the motor hotter :)))

Last edited:

Bogmonster666

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 6, 2022
The CYC Photon 'looks' to me like a superior design over the tsdz2 and ToSeven offerings - and the one I am more interested in long term. I'm not going to compare with the Bafangs as apples and oranges in respect of torque sensor (although a Bafang with TS is an interesting proposition). The proof is in the pudding and there is precious little info to make an informed decision.

The Photon and ToSeven are unknown quantities. The TSDZ2 certainly has its reliability issues but it is cheap, parts are readily available, and the most likely failure points are cheap to DIY fix with basic skills. You have a fair idea what you are getting yourself into. The sprag clutch maybe a bit of a PITA as it ideally needs pressing in/out (or faff with heat and cold) - I'm fortunate to have a 6 ton fly press that can be used for this in a pinch, but not everybody has some form of press, although every backstreet auto-garage should have a hydraulic press and will do this for a couple of beer tokens.

IMO there is a market for a better (and more expensive) DIY torque sensor mid-motor, but it must be DIY friendly and repairable. In particular, not sure if the CYC offerings have had a good track record for parts availability? Maybe too soon to say for ToSeven I think, but it would add confidence if I could see a source of spare parts.

For me it's a case of sticking with the devil I know, will be happy to let others test the new offerings...and in the distant future if/when there is more information and I'm in the market for a new motor, I can then make a more informed decision.

• Agree
Reactions: lenny and Woosh

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Please tell these people what 21:1 ratio vs 40:1.
You increase the TORQUE - the "force" - without the NEED TO draw MORE power - more WATTS.
Correct?
No, it's not correct. The torque on a crank drive is measured at the chainring. For the same torque, you need the same power at the motor. The principle is called conservation of energy.The different arrangement of cogs in the gearbox does not change that.
The 40:1 is the overall ratio of rotational speed of the rotor / rotational speed of the chainring. A higher ratio helps to reduce the size and weight of the motor.

• Informative

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
PULLING more VOLTAGE but LESS amps for the same amount of power DOESN'T MAKE the motor cooler?????!? No, it makes the motor hotter :)))
I'm not sure if that's a question, sarcasm or you're mistaken about something. Let's make it clear:

The heat goes up with the square of the current - simple as that. There's always a big advantage in electrical power systems when you can reduce current, especially ebikes.

Power = volts x amps, so for the same power, if volts go up, the current goes down.

Also, motors don't pull voltage. You apply voltage and the voltage pushes current by convention, though, technically, the voltage makes a field that causes the current to flow though a conductor. You could argue that it pushes, pulls or sucks the current through. For the same motor, if you increase voltage, it increases the current (Ohm's Law), and it's the increase in current that causes more heat.

A motor with a high kV with a large reduction ratio will work the same as one with a low KV and high reduction ratio - same power, same voltage, same current and same heat. A high or large reduction ratio makes no difference in that respect. You just choose the reduction ratio to match the motor. If you were to use the same motor with a different reduction ratio, obviously there would be a big difference, but they're two different motors.

Last edited:
  • Informative

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Thanks Alex for your reply.

I looked at the display's, but i would prefer a smaller display for my next build.
Are you also planning to have the SW102 display in your line-up?

View attachment 51254
You know that the buttons on those displays are pretty useless when riding the bike, especially in winter with gloves on your hands? They look like a good idea until you try them. They're not so bad for summer riding, but still a bit awkward.

pxl666

Pedelecer
Mar 24, 2023
You know that the buttons on those displays are pretty useless when riding the bike, especially in winter with gloves on your hands? They look like a good idea until you try them. They're not so bad for summer riding, but still a bit awkward.
they are fine for me ...

Bogmonster666

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 6, 2022
cyc's price makes it not worthy to hassle - i'd save money and go for bafang integrated M500/600
Yes, I don't think I'd fully registered the price. The other week I could have bought a Bosch based complete bike for ~£1600 in the sale and with discounts. Not far off that with the cyc @~$950 + battery + donor bike...too spendy for me...ok, so the Bosch motor may need to go to Germany for repair but at least there is a clear path for repair ... The CYC would need to be very special to warrant the premium price.

Even more reason to stick with the TSDZ2.

Last edited: