Has anyone heard of or tried Toseven mid drive?

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Maybe the ES crew have been busy spending their $$$.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Let's hope that they're not mired in legal troubles with Tonsheng.

Toseven do have Tongsheng's former lead engineer:

There is some influence as the lead engineer was the engineer responsible for producing the tongsheng motors who's came over to form the new company

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
if i limit my skate board to 15 mph fixed controller speed can i have a mach 1 weapons' motor to clear the path? :D

Reactions: guerney

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
The To7 was pulled from PSW Power by To7 themselves, somehow PSW got hold of them without the knowledge of To7 .
When and how the drives will be distributed isn't known but one supsects for now if a drive kit is wanted , then contact To7 direct for a price.

It appears they are maybe looking for sales outlets that will offer warranty /servicing .

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Woosh

alexfnoble

Pedelecer
Mar 22, 2023
The To7 was pulled from PSW Power by To7 themselves, somehow PSW got hold of them without the knowledge of To7 .
When and how the drives will be distributed isn't known but one supsects for now if a drive kit is wanted , then contact To7 direct for a price.

It appears they are maybe looking for sales outlets that will offer warranty /servicing .
Not exactly true. They did source them from us but it wasn't intentional. It happened due to a miscommunication in the company.

Anyway yes we are looking to partner up with companies for offering warranty and servicing.

So if anyone is from a retailer feel free to contact me

Kind regards

Alex

pxl666

Pedelecer
Mar 24, 2023
Not exactly true. They did source them from us but it wasn't intentional. It happened due to a miscommunication in the company.

Anyway yes we are looking to partner up with companies for offering warranty and servicing.

So if anyone is from a retailer feel free to contact me

Kind regards

Alex
do i have to own currently running ebike shop ?

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
still don't know why the to7 is better than the Tongsheng.

Reactions: sgarth

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
The internal reduction PSW Power quoted was incorrect and not the 53:1 they mentioned, the To7 webpage for the DM01/02 states 40:27:1 or as near as.

We can only assume the new design is stronger and improved over the Tongsheng being that they have the lead design engineer from Tongsheng.

Last edited:

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
40:1 is the reduction ratio of the Tongsheng TSDZ2. That's what helps Tongsheng to reduce the weight of their motor compared to the BBS01 (20:1). The second feature is the blue one way clutch roller bearing, it helps to reduce weight too. Both features are not without downside though.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
I'd be happy to test drive one and compare it to my tsdz2.

BBS owners tend to thrash the drives more with higher current and spd , the tsdz will fail with too much current and torque hence the blue gear issues some have , too much current/ torque also causing the overheat issues repoerted as well. Thise on ES runnin gin to problems when pulling 500+ watts.

The tsdz2 is a more sedate enjoyable ride then the BBS I had 5 or 6 years ago.
I can still pull 18 - 20mph in eco mode , above the speed cut off it rides very nicely and I don't notice any extra effort to do so.
20mph tbh isn't imv much fun as one has to concentrate more on events occuring around them, quite often I will stay at 14mph as nice sedate speed.

Last edited:

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
There is some influence as the lead engineer was the engineer responsible for producing the tongsheng motors who's came over to form the new company
Is it a positive selling point that the lead engineer at Tongsheng responsible for the TSDZ2's design, and it's flaws, is involved in the design of Toseven's motors?

And you still haven't said anything more about the software, apart from this:

we intend to release the motor programming software to the community/ end users and activity engage with them on forums like this

Last edited:

Bikes4two

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 21, 2020
Havant
Is it a positive selling point that the lead engineer at Tongsheng responsible for the TSDZ2's design, and it's flaws, is involved in the design of Toseven's motors?
  • I would say that it is a selling/plus point.
  • First of we don't know that the lead engineer was responsible for the design faults. They may for instance have been restricted in certain aspects by costs or other manufacturing parameters outside of their control
  • Secondly, now that the TSDZ2 has been 'tested' by thousands of users, the knowledge gained from user habits, what they want out of a motor and the shortcomings in that motor from the user requirement point of view, puts the lead engineer and the rest of the Toseven team in a very strong position to come up with a superior motor
  • So bring it on I say - let's hope I can afford it as design excelence and quality control come at a cost.

sgarth

Just Joined
Apr 7, 2023
I'd be happy to test drive one and compare it to my tsdz2.

BBS owners tend to thrash the drives more with higher current and spd , the tsdz will fail with too much current and torque hence the blue gear issues some have , too much current/ torque also causing the overheat issues repoerted as well. Thise on ES runnin gin to problems when pulling 500+ watts.
I agree with you on that point. Having converted 3 bikes mtb's which we run regularly and one for a friend. My 3 have between them covered over 5K miles over the past 3-4 year. One sheard axle on 100mm extenion full sus mtb. . So OSF, heat mod and now extra bearings fitted. Still on original blue gears and aside for the axles problem,they have server extremely well with no other major issues.I chose TSDZ2's precisely with that in mind. I would however say that ability to increase the assist over 15mph is a major reason (that and the torque sensing). But 20mph is IMHO the ideal & safer cut-off for road use.

Baseline

Just Joined
Mar 30, 2023
No it definitely wont work. Our motors are only compatible with our displays and parts. Using from another manufacturer could and probably will cause damage

Our motor's are currently only available as a kit so you would need to buy a whole kit anyway. The cost of those parts is quite low vs the cost of the motor.

thanks
Alex
Thanks for reply.

In the description I read about the DM 01 Toseven mid drive it said it offers both torque and cadence sensing? How does that work? Can you switch from one to the other?

alexfnoble

Pedelecer
Mar 22, 2023
[

Thanks for reply.

In the description I read about the DM 01 Toseven mid drive it said it offers both torque and cadence sensing? How does that work? Can you switch from one to the other?

As far as i know all torque sensing motors also monitor cadence, it has both a cadence sensor and torque sensor built in. But no there is no way currently to switch.

alexfnoble

Pedelecer
Mar 22, 2023

Hi guys

Tosevens forum home will be on the High Voltage discord.

I can't monitor every single thread and forum so this will be the main one im active on. Its also where news and software will be released first

Thanks
alex

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Tosevens forum home will be on the High Voltage discord.

I can't monitor every single thread and forum so this will be the main one im active on. Its also where news and software will be released first

Thanks
alex
we intend to release the motor programming software to the community/ end users and activity engage with them on forums like this
I'll wait here.

• Agree
Reactions: Bikes4two and Woosh