Has anyone heard of or tried Toseven mid drive?

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Me too - once the ToSeven motors are taken up by customers, the folks who populate Endless Sphere will soon get stuck into finding the pros and cons.
I'll bet there's some new set of blunders - a duty of lead engineers is quality assurance ;). It's all very well targeting distributors, pushing an unproven and unseen new ebike motor - it'd be refreshing and innovative to see a manufacturer release soft/+firmware ahead of it's availability to the consumer, which would stoke interest and demand, maybe even a clamour (if the motor turns out to be any good).

Imagine how much more swiftly TSDZ2s would have sold, if users could have ironed out some of it's wrinkles on day one. Manufacturers who embrace modification by users do well - look at Canon's success in the DSLR camera space, after leaving the door open for Magic Lantern firmware to be installed. Users made their cameras better, and they sold like hot cakes.

Reactions: Bikes4two

Bikes4two

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 21, 2020
Havant
  • TBH it is often more cost effective, quicker and overall more beneficial, in terms of getting product refinement, to launch a new product into 'the wild' to let consumers loose on it. (not a good approach for 'fly by wire' aircraft of course - lol).
  • Just look at Microsoft Windows for instance - testing before release can only go so far and certainly not as far as many millions of end users o_O.
  • It's not always a good idea to be a 'first adopter.'

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I still don't get the relationship between tongsheng and to7. China has become quite protective of intellectual property rights in recent years. The casing and axle assembly look very alike. That's asking for troubles without an agreement

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
I still don't get the relationship between tongsheng and to7. China has become quite protective of intellectual property rights in recent years. The casing and axle assembly look very alike. That's asking for troubles without an agreement
I was wondering if the new company was formed by Tongsheng founders for tax reasons.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
TBH it is often more cost effective, quicker and overall more beneficial, in terms of getting product refinement, to launch a new product into 'the wild' to let consumers loose on it. (not a good approach for 'fly by wire' aircraft of course - lol).
Another example of that approach is open source firmware of Linksys routers, which is why I bought them:

Those also sold like hot cakes.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Was there a relationship between aikema and tongsheng?

Bikes4two

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 21, 2020
Havant
Does the new motor allow clearance for gear cables under the bottom bracket.
That'd be VERY useful as it is a real PITA to re-route gear cables - I did manage to squeeze a short length of gear cable outer between the motor casing and BB shell and tie-wrap it down at each end - not idea and gear changes are a bit sluggish, but better than the alternatives.

A friend of mine shave off some plastic on his cable guidle and did it that way apparently but I didn't sse it done. For the cable guides I've had before, the retaining screw is the high point, not the guide itsself. I'll take another look at doing this the next time around.

Raboa

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2014
I have saw somebody 3d print cable guides, they attached these to their top tube and seat stay. They used outer cable along the whole route, seemed to work.

Reactions: guerney

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
The only realtionship we know of is; To7 poached the lead design engineer from Tongsheng to design the new DM01/02.

alexfnoble

Pedelecer
Mar 22, 2023
The only realtionship we know of is; To7 poached the lead design engineer from Tongsheng to design the new DM01/02.
Unfounded speculation. That bares no reality to how to7 was formed.

Im really here for constructive feedback on our products. I wont get drawn into answering speculation on our staff, agreements or ip, because from experience its never ending and isnt productive.

If ebike motor users want to engage with us constructively great. Quite a few have already done so both publicly and privately.

We might be a young company but we have a lot of experience and lots of ambition to bring to market the products people want.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Hello Alex, you worry me a little. If for example your company is sued for patent infringement and loses, the victor can ask me to deliver up all unsold products and list of all those who bought infringing products. I will have to refund my customers. It's important to know that your products are covered by your own patents.

alexfnoble

Pedelecer
Mar 22, 2023
Hello Alex, you worry me a little. If for example your company is sued for patent infringement and loses, the victor can ask me to deliver up all unsold products and list of all those who bought infringing products. I will have to refund my customers. It's important to know that your products are covered by your own patents.

I'm sorry but that's not the reason we are engaging end users on a public forum. Does any company in the world engage in those types of discussions on a public forum? No

We are on here to engage people for feedback on our products.

If you as a distributer want to contact us to engage in business and raise any concerns at that point please do so.

I politely disagree with the appropriateness of your. "You worry me" comment as it would be entirely unprofessional to engage in discussion around these points on a public forum where so quickly facts are turning to speculation.

Kind regards

Alex

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Hello Alex, a simple confirmation that your products are covered by your patents would satisfy a lot of your potential customers. Many members of this forum buy from Chinese resellers that operate outside EU/UK laws, so it is legitimate to ask you for reassurance.

Bogmonster666

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 6, 2022
Early days but I think the biggest flaw with the tsdz2 for many users is the assistance cutoff / winding that tends to favour lower cadence. I know some folks use a 36v winding motor at 48v for this reason. This is particularly noticeable going up hills where I want to spin faster but find the assistance kicks in at lower cadence. This is where I would be looking for an improvement.

C

Bikes4two

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 21, 2020
Havant
I'm not one to spin at a high cadence but as I understand it the OEM firmware cuts assistance around 90rpm but the OSF takes it to around 120rpm.

Jbalatutube on YT has a vid demonstrating this.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021