Helmets @ Aldi

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Oooh, I like the look of that one. A quick google tells me the model is the 'City V' and also available in a matt black. Anyone know of a physical store that has them in stock to try on?
And red! For your inner Ferrari... The problem is finding a distributor. Does Amazon have a free return if not satisfied clause? The LBS has Casco helmets in stock so I will be able to try that one when he gets it.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
I wear mine out of habit now but do believe they are for the good, they shouldn't be compulsory. I started to wear one when I got whacked a couple of times by branches when off road also a couple of times I have come a cropper and been over the bars.

oldtom

Esteemed Pedelecer
Heads Up, intentional pun:rolleyes:
Once again Aldi is going to be selling their snowboard/ski helmets which are also good for cycling
It seemed like such an innocuous little post - just a mention for the membership that Aldi are doing bike gear again.

Why do I think you knew exactly what would result by posting that? I think you were getting bored by post after post about how to de-restrict everything from a Tri-ang trike to a BMX Burner and you wanted to inject a little spice into the forum.

It sure as hell worked!;)

Perhaps next time you check what's coming up at Aldi, you might want to appraise us all of the latest wine and beer bargains - now that would grab my attention!

Tom

C

Cyclezee

It seemed like such an innocuous little post - just a mention for the membership that Aldi are doing bike gear again.

Why do I think you knew exactly what would result by posting that? I think you were getting bored by post after post about how to de-restrict everything from a Tri-ang trike to a BMX Burner and you wanted to inject a little spice into the forum.

It sure as hell worked!;)

Perhaps next time you check what's coming up at Aldi, you might want to appraise us all of the latest wine and beer bargains - now that would grab my attention!

Tom
You are quite correct in one respect, the forum has been rather dull of late, but I had absolutely no intention or expectation that this thread would get much more than a cursory glance.

I am quite happy to give you an appraisal of non cycling products on offer at Aldi, e.g. I am a big fan of their canned herring in mango and peppercorn sauce which I have stated this previously on the forum.
However, I don't know what has happened to their cream of tomato soup which I also rated highly, it seems to be a lot less creamy and flavoursome than it was a few months ago, what do other members think?

I can't comment on their beers but their red wines are quite good.....in my opinion.

Reactions: oldtom and JohnCade

flecc

Oct 25, 2006

Why do I think you knew exactly what would result by posting that?
It may seem surprising, but mention of helmets in thread titles doesn't normally bring this reaction, as these most recent ones show:

http://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/threads/helmet.21974/

http://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/threads/helmet-selfie-are-you-a-dude-or-a.20319/

http://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/threads/best-helmet-if-you-want-one.19106/

http://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/threads/paper-helmet.16557/

It only did this time because someone teased me, I teased back and said as much, and that was taken too seriously by others, leading to my being directly criticised and even insulted.

Yamdude

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 20, 2013
Somerset
Just been reading through this thread..... pretty damn funny, i do like a chuckle on an evening when i'm having a beer.
It also makes me appreciate the fact i can go through life not giving a ** what other people wear or dont wear.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
I don't know what has happened to their cream of tomato soup which I also rated highly, it seems to be a lot less creamy and flavoursome than it was a few months ago, what do other members think?
I live in France so I make my own soup. And it isn't tomato season we are into leek and potato and butter-nut quash and parsley velouté season...

Reactions: flecc
C

Cyclezee

I live in France so I make my own soup. And it isn't tomato season we are into leek and potato and butter-nut quash and parsley velouté season...
My wife also makes excellent home made soups of various varieties and all of them better than anything from a supermarket, but not tomato:(
The tomato is one of my favourite fruits in many forms, juice, soup, cooked, raw and purée.

Reactions: JohnCade and flecc

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
About 6 weeks ago I made a parsnip and pumpkin soup my first effort got to admit it was rather yummm :).

Lardo

Pedelecer
Aug 24, 2014
I believe it should be compulsory to make your own soup. The risks of shop bought are too great to allow people to cart heavy tins from the shop. The sooner personal choice is removed from the process the better. As a shopper I've seen the aftermath of a split bag too many times. I personally don't like to see minestrone on the pavement.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Now I'm curious, is it a French law that everyone makes there own soup & will we have to adopt this practice here in the UK ?
Staying on topic :rolleyes: there is no French soup law just like there is no helmet law...

oldtom

Esteemed Pedelecer
I don't know what has happened to their cream of tomato soup which I also rated highly, it seems to be a lot less creamy and flavoursome than it was a few months ago, what do other members think?
Blimey, you've pulled off the same trick again! This thread could go anywhere now but as it's about soup for the moment, I'd just like to add my two-penn'orth.

I'm a big fan of soup and regularly cook up my own, preferring that to the tinned or packet varieties from the supermarket shelves. Although I vary the flavours in accordance with the veg at my disposal, I have always enjoyed tomato soup since childhood, Heinz cream of, or Granny's being particular favourites.

Since getting into the habit of making soup myself, I have two recipes for lovely tomato soup which are distinctly different from each other but unmistakably tomato nonetheless. The recipes are, of course, my secret and I would never, ever reveal my secret for any amount of money, (under a tenner), so I just enjoy them with the family and will continue to do so for generations to come.

I just realised that if I had thrown in a reference or two to a great aunt, that would have sounded like an excerpt from 'The Antiques Roadshow'. You know the one...'And how did you come to possess this exquisite object?' The answer is usually, 'It was handed down from my great aunt'......which is a sort of code for 'It was stolen, so don't press me on it!'

Tom

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Now I'm curious, is it a French law that everyone makes there own soup & will we have to adopt this practice here in the UK ?
No, if a law is passed it will be EU soup, including produce from all member countries homogenised into a single composite flavour deemed right for all EU citizens. Cans will have to have the CE mark.

Britain will probably add a provision for other tastes by requiring an unknown form of type approval for our differing preferences.

Last edited:
Reactions: oldtom and Cyclezee
C

Cyclezee

No, if a law is passed it will be EU soup, including produce from all member countries homogenised into a single composite flavour deemed right for all EU citizens. Cans will have to have the CE mark.
Yuk.
Something I dislike the taste of intensely is several fruits that are blended into one juice, e.g. 5 Alive Yuk!