Invention help charging system

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
he's trying to find a partner/client to invest in his idea.
He can't go into details because the project has not been granted a patent yet.
The problem is the traditional chicken and egg.
Investors are more interested in something that is already protected by a patent or can be or in a project that has got some trading history and profit.
In my early working life, I made hundreds of prototypes, less than 10% made it to small volume production, less than 3% had a good run and made money. That goes to show that a good idea is just a starting point of a long slog.

jimriley

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2020
He needs to think "presenting to the dragon's den" when pitching an idea.. Might be the best idea ever, perpetual motion, if the presentation doesn't inspire confidence and has mistakes in it then it doesn't inspire confidence. Hope that's taken as constructive criticism.

• Agree
Reactions: Wicky

Gringo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2013
Northampton
I don't have any range anxiety because my ebike is fitted with these weird things called "pedals", and in exchange for a little effort I can ride far further and faster than any (legal) ebike.

I can understand range anxiety in electric cars, but on an e bicycle where the primary power supply is your legs anyway there's really no issue.
Not everyone has good legs or knees that’s probably why they brought an ebike in the first place :p;)

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
Not everyone has good legs or knees that’s probably why they brought an ebike in the first place :p;)
And one problem with range is that when it does run out it will be at the end of a ride when you (and your knees and legs) are tired.

WheezyRider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 20, 2020
I feel a bit sad reading the above replies and hope the OP isn't put off this forum (nor the person recommending the OP post here). I see a lot of new inventions in my day job and am amazed by how successful some inventions are which I think of as totally useless to begin with (like the electric toothbrush I use everyday which I thought was "totally pointless").

To the OP - I applaud you for trying something new. I can't help you get it to market but I can help you determine if it is new and protectable. If you need any help pm me.

To inject some festive cheer this post from the IPO is a good read:
The problem is he's already given the idea to a Chinese e-bike manufacturer. In terms of IP protection, that's as good as GAME OVER.

DBye

Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2016
The problem is he's already given the idea to a Chinese e-bike manufacturer. In terms of IP protection, that's as good as GAME OVER.
The situation in China is improving with respect to intellectual property rights. Lego for example recently had a victory against copycats based on reputation alone (i.e. no registered rights involved). We also don't know what the OP has actually disclosed. It is one thing to say "I've developed a self-charging ebike are you interested?", it is another to completely disclose how the thing works.

Ocsid

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2017
Hampshire
As the tone of some answers also hint, I think the OP has misjudged the magnitude of "range anxiety" with our e-bikes, unlike an EV we can still pedal it.
Again, unlike cars we have IMO quite a range, relative to the typical user's journey. Clearly there are exceptions, but these are far from a mass market of users.

It was something I thought about before buying, but in use, it has totally dropped out of being a concern issue. My concern was how we were going to recharge if caravan holidaying away from a mains electricity source. The reality, even here is we can usually go a week without recharging, and if needed, an eatery allowed me to put some back whist we lunched.

It could be an invention that the advance of technology has already walked on past, even if not, it has for all but a few buyers.

Patents are only of value in countries where purchased and where recognised, that and being "inventive", usually gets around them with little effort.

• Agree
Reactions: WheezyRider

Edward Elizabeth

Pedelecer
Aug 10, 2020
Buckinghamshire
And one problem with range is that when it does run out it will be at the end of a ride when you (and your knees and legs) are tired.
I tend to ride accordingly. I use my legs on the way out and the motor on the way back.

And yes indeed, I was remiss in not remembering those with disabilities or injuries. Nevertheless, do they alone represent a sufficient market to make the project viable in the eyes of a manufacturer? As well as the device itself, it would be shortsighted not to do some research into potential costs, the size of the market, sales, returns, etc. If those questions were answered then a manufacturer might look more kindly upon the idea.

WheezyRider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 20, 2020
The situation in China is improving with respect to intellectual property rights. Lego for example recently had a victory against copycats based on reputation alone (i.e. no registered rights involved). We also don't know what the OP has actually disclosed. It is one thing to say "I've developed a self-charging ebike are you interested?", it is another to completely disclose how the thing works.

Well as you say, we don't know what he has disclosed, the OP has posted then vanished. But if he has only revealed the kind of information that he has in this thread, I am not surprised manufacturers haven't got back to him. They must receive this sort of thing all the time and place it securely in the circular file.

However, I would say the average inventor is not going to have the legal clout and resources to tackle IP infringement as a massive company like Lego.

Why are people here so sceptical, you might ask?

For one thing, the OP is suggesting a potential solution to a problem that isn't really an issue. E-bike power requirements are small and modern batteries are amazing and getting better year on year.

Even those who have mobility issues (myself included at times) are generally not suffering from range anxiety. You just need to make sure your battery is large enough to suit your needs.

Ok, say the invention increases motor/transmission efficiency. These are already quite good. Perhaps you could improve things by 10%...so you increase range from 40 to 44 miles? And for how much cost? Then for a manufacturer, this may mean a lot of re-tooling. Plus there may be vested interests, if you make the system more efficient, you sell fewer or smaller batteries...

Alternatively, it could be an invention that somehow produces energy in a useful form as you go. People have seen lots of "perpetual motion" type concepts, which are just a waste of time. If you are going to produce electrical energy from somewhere, where is it going to come from?

You could run a petrol generator for one thing...but this has issues and you can't do this to charge a battery connected to your motor. You have to have two batteries and probably have to tow a trailer. So it all gets very heavy. And, it's polluting.

People have tried solar panels, but to gather enough power, they have to be comparatively large and be directed towards the sun...it all becomes impractical for everyday use.

I don't want to put off anyone from inventing and innovating, but, unless the OP can give more detail, it's unlikely anyone here will take it seriously.

Last edited:
Reactions: mike killay