Is there a governing body to report a rogue e bike trader/retailer to ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
We spend a fortune with them fortunately so they pay up or lose our account. To be fair this was a difficult collection address and the customer has an issue which means it's difficult to contact him by phone.

To be fair, the don't lose many, three so far this year, we have no doubt they go walk about, they are nice bikes!

All the best, David

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I've known David Miall and his companies during the life of this forum, both being about the same age.

Throughout his standard of trading and support for customers and his dealers have been not only beyond reproach but have also often gone well beyond the call of duty, as this current example shows.

He has been a leader in extending warranty periods, extending warranties to second owners (subject to sensible safeguards) and directly helping dealers in resolving any problems. That help has often been extended to second hand bikes of his brands, even very old ones.

When one of his dealers was falling well short of his standards of service, I remember how without hesitation David removed the dealers agency, showing how intolerant he is of substandard service.

And he was one of the founder members of BEBA, the British Electric Bike Association. This was set up to establish standards for the trade in Britain and has since been incorporated within the Bicycle Association.

Anyone can see throughout this history a dedication to the highest standards.

This post has been made to offset any residual doubts anyone might have from reading the thread content, hopefully underlining that there is no foundation for any of the included negative allegations made.

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
I've known David Miall and his companies during the life of this forum, both being about the same age.

Throughout his standard of trading and support for customers and his dealers have been not only beyond reproach but have also often gone well beyond the call of duty, as this current example shows.

He has been a leader in extending warranty periods, extending warranties to second owners (subject to sensible safeguards) and directly helping dealers in resolving any problems. That help has often been extended to second hand bikes of his brands, even very old ones.

When one of his dealers was falling well short of his standards of service, I remember how without hesitation David removed the dealers agency, showing how intolerant he is of substandard service.

And he was one of the founder members of BEBA, the British Electric Bike Association. This was set up to establish standards for the trade in Britain and has since been incorporated within the Bicycle Association.

Anyone can see throughout this history a dedication to the highest standards.

This post has been made to offset any residual doubts anyone might have from reading the thread content, hopefully underlining that there is no foundation for any of the included negative allegations made.
Thank you Tony.

Kind regards, David

mike killay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 17, 2011
Once again, I think that this forum should have a policy towards newcomers apparently trying to misuse it to pressurise a dealer.
Our Standard Response should be:-
Contact a solicitor, put your money where your mouth is.

D

Deleted member 4366

You're not being fair. OP, in his mind, has an unresolved problem. He doesn't know who he can trust and who he can't. The first problem he has was genuine, which probably made him feel negative towards his situation.

I just wished he'd phoned me when he had his second problem whatever that was or wasn't. He has my phone number and I told him he could call me any time if he had any more problems after I fixed his binding brake. In hindsight, that would have solved a lot of expense and dissatisfaction by all concerned.

• Informative
  • Agree
Reactions: Artstu and Crockers

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
You're not being fair. OP, in his mind, has an unresolved problem. He doesn't know who he can trust and who he can't. The first problem he has was genuine, which probably made him feel negative towards his situation.

I just wished he'd phoned me when he had his second problem whatever that was or wasn't. He has my phone number and I told him he could call me any time if he had any more problems after I fixed his binding brake. In hindsight, that would have solved a lot of expense and dissatisfaction by all concerned.
Hi Dave, if he does have a problem maybe he could let me or On Bike know? We have been sympathetic and extraordinarrily fair so far.

I received an email tonight with the serial numbers, no where does he mention he has an issue apart from his need for proof of ownership. I have never given him any reason to distrust me.

I should mention that I would never have discussed this in the Forum unless he had forced me to defend myself.

Also, as you identified, the original bike does not seem to have a problem.

What more can we do?

Regards David

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 4366

I don't mean unfair in that sense. You've done everything possible, and none of this is your fault. I mean the way people are judging OP, who is new to electric bikes, not mechanically minded, and doesn't know who's who or who he can trust.

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
I understand Dave, but using the Forum in such a manner should be discouraged.

I have had numerous conversations on the phone and by email with the OP and his wife over the last few weeks. It was not as if I was unavailable to him.

I don't hold any hard feelings, I've had my say and will send the proof of ownership tomorrow as promised.

If Alan has any further issues, or worries, he knows I am personally available to him at any time.

All the best, David

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
Hi I have been reading this thread from the beginning with an increasing amount of incredulity. If even 60% of what David has said is true, then I would suggest that an apology from the OP is in order and he should man up.
I can accept that ,as Dave has said ,he might have felt threatened in attempting to take on the system as he saw it, but now that it has been explained he needs to respond.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I don't mean unfair in that sense. You've done everything possible, and none of this is your fault. I mean the way people are judging OP, who is new to electric bikes, not mechanically minded, and doesn't know who's who or who he can trust.
But not knowing is no justification for the references to duff trader, rogue trader etc, or any justification for a deliberate lie about the source of the bike.

Publically establishing his own deceitfulness is hardly a sensible way to proceed with such an issue.

D

Deleted member 4366

You're looking at it with from different frame of reference. You have knowledge of how all these things work. OP hasn't a clue about it.

From his standpoint: He was sold a bike with a fault. The fault was fixed, but then it developed another fault. He sent the bike back and then a trader, who he doesn't know tells him it got lost, then it got lost again. Finally, he gets a bike, which isn't his original one. He asks for a bill of sale so that he can get insurance, but is refused. Due to circumstances beyond his control, he now has a bike he can't insure. Insurance is import to him. He doesn't understand why he can't have a bill of sale when he paid good money for his bike. Given the problems he's had, he's suspicious why he's been refused.

Now that we all know the story, we can see how things could have been done better. Lack of knowledge was the main problem. Hopefully, that's been solved after OP read all this.

If you saw that programme on the TV the other night, you can see how easily the mind can be persuaded by very small things to see a totally different picture to reality. We're looking at this situation from a rational uninfluenced perspective, so we get a different picture to OP.

Artstu

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2009
Just catching up with this and wondering what the fault or problem with the bike is/was?

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Hi Artstu, as far as I know there wasn't a second problem. The first problem was a brake binding which until yesterday I didn't know about, it was an adjustment rather than a fault by the sounds of it. And I think Dave made the adjustment. (Thanks for that Dave)

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Artstu

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
I'm not commenting on the above, but just fyi, if someone did target a trader unfairly, one legal option for that trader would be to sue for damages for malicious falsehoods:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malicious_falsehood
Thanks DBye, however I would only take such action in extreme circumstances. I want to keep working with Alan. He is after all is said and done a customer.

All the best, David

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
You're looking at it with from different frame of reference. You have knowledge of how all these things work. OP hasn't a clue about it.

From his standpoint: He was sold a bike with a fault. The fault was fixed, but then it developed another fault. He sent the bike back and then a trader, who he doesn't know tells him it got lost, then it got lost again. Finally, he gets a bike, which isn't his original one. He asks for a bill of sale so that he can get insurance, but is refused. Due to circumstances beyond his control, he now has a bike he can't insure. Insurance is import to him. He doesn't understand why he can't have a bill of sale when he paid good money for his bike. Given the problems he's had, he's suspicious why he's been refused.

Now that we all know the story, we can see how things could have been done better. Lack of knowledge was the main problem. Hopefully, that's been solved after OP read all this.

If you saw that programme on the TV the other night, you can see how easily the mind can be persuaded by very small things to see a totally different picture to reality. We're looking at this situation from a rational uninfluenced perspective, so we get a different picture to OP.
Hi Dave, Just to confirm the facts...

I have not been involved with fixing any faults.

You mention that a brake was blinding, I assume you did the adjustment which is what took five minutes.

As far as I know there has not been a second fault.

He didn't send the bike back.

After you had tested the bike and had told me it was perfect, Alan called me, not his supplier, to see if I could help. As I knew some of the history, I offered to have the bike collected at my cost. Tuffnells, first of all could not find Alan's house. Then they then picked the bike up and lost it. On hearing about this, I immediately sent a brand new replacement bike to Alan. This too was lost by Tuffnells. On hearing about this I sent a second brand new replacement bike with an upgraded battery by way of compensation for Tuffnells inefficiency.

Alan should have taken it back to the shop from where he bought the bike. I was simply trying g to be helpful.

The bike collected by Tuffnells eventually arrived and as suspected there is nothing wrong with it.

Alan was not refused a bill of sale. I told him he needed to get that from his original supplier. I told Alan I would be happy send him a proof of ownership and confirm the value, but I needed the serial numbers. I received that information yesterday. Today he will have the document he needs.

What is unacceptable is the way Alan has publicly questioned my integrity.

No one could or would have given a better service.

Most importantly there was nothing wrong with the first bike apart from the brake adjustment!

Regards David

Status
Not open for further replies.