new member needs assistance

Kevin williams

Pedelecer
Sep 16, 2014
Not usually broken, just not working until dried out. However, that can take a long time once water gets into an almost closed space like a controller box or twistgrip throttle housing, and water getting into wiring connectors can cause corrosion.

Not a big headache though, most modern e-bikes have quite good damp proofing, but some are better than others.

Kevin williams

Pedelecer
Sep 16, 2014
Cheers mate, I have just come home from fishing where it was raining for 30 mins so it got pretty wet but worked fine on the way home, so far so good......

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Sounds good, good ones usually stay good so not something to worry about at present.

Did you catch anything?

D

Deleted member 4366

Thanks mate, that looks good, what sort of range would u get from a 30 ah?
To test it, he went from Telford to Bridgenorth and back, which is about 30 miles, then about an hour riding around the town park - all with minimal pedalling. So that's 50 fairly hilly miles with a 500w BPM motor like a moped.

Kevin williams

Pedelecer
Sep 16, 2014
To test it, he went from Telford to Bridgenorth and back, which is about 30 miles, then about an hour riding around the town park - all with minimal pedalling. So that's 50 fairly hilly miles with a 500w BPM motor like a moped.
Sounds good, ill need 5 powabyke batteries to go that far! £1500!, sorry for my ignorance but wat is a BPM motor?

Kevin williams

Pedelecer
Sep 16, 2014

Kevin williams

Pedelecer
Sep 16, 2014
Thanks for the info, may look into getting one of those in the future, just out of interest wouldca bike be quicker/ more torque if I was to change the the motor to one of thesevwithout changing battery/ controller?
I think it's very good buy at that price. There's nothing wrong with it at all now, the disadvantages being historic and not affecting your one, apart from your small battery. In all other respects it's a good bike which many like, and the derestriction is an advantage. It's the only time of heard of one with this top assist speed, they are usually strictly controlled to 15 mph.

If yours was restricted the range would substantially increase, the assistance above 15 mph saps lots of current in overcoming wind resistance.
What do u think of the cyclamatic power plus? I know its a budget ebike but I can get one for £200 used half dozen times/ battery in tiptop condition(allegedly), better deal than the xbyke I mentioned earlier for £300?I can never make up my mind and when I think ibhave, another one appears on ebay/gumtree that looks good and im undecided again

D

Deleted member 4366

Thanks for the info, may look into getting one of those in the future, just out of interest wouldca bike be quicker/ more torque if I was to change the the motor to one of thesevwithout changing battery/ controller?
The controller, battery and motor all need to match each other's capability. How fast your motor goes depends on the motor windings. You have to choose a motor winding speed that matches the speed you want and the power that your controller and battery will give it.

To answer your question: Your battery and controller are matched to each other, but they can't give any extra power to a more powerful motor. You'd probably get better hill-climbing if you used a low-speed BPM, but if you used a high-speed one, your controller and battery would be maxed out all the time, so the controller would overheat.

Kevin williams

Pedelecer
Sep 16, 2014
Went for spin down local coastal cyclepaths this morning and came across a couple on. Ebikes, one a emotion neo( if I remember correctly) which looks really good, more modern looking than my xbyke, with battery in the frame ( not sure how u woukd replace that?), and the lady was on a freego which looks like a more conventional mtb with battery behind the seatpost, chap was a bit of a snob, praising their bikes(particularly his own) while picking faults with mine bout battery and low quality parts, anyway i explained that the powabyke goes really well if a bit noisy under load and I got it on the cheap and am very happy with it but he was reeling off all these ebike names that I should have got in particular the neo he had, anyway they set off and I had a break for 10 mins then went on myself. U should have seen their faces as a few miles down the track I caught up with them and left them for dead!,he tried to come after me on his rolls Royce bike but to no avail. I know his bike looks really nice and has better parts but id rather 4 powabykes like I got that than one of his.

D

Deleted member 4366

Went for spin down local coastal cyclepaths this morning and came across a couple on. Ebikes, one a emotion neo( if I remember correctly) which looks really good, more modern looking than my xbyke, with battery in the frame ( not sure how u woukd replace that?), and the lady was on a freego which looks like a more conventional mtb with battery behind the seatpost, chap was a bit of a snob, praising their bikes(particularly his own) while picking faults with mine bout battery and low quality parts, anyway i explained that the powabyke goes really well if a bit noisy under load and I got it on the cheap and am very happy with it but he was reeling off all these ebike names that I should have got in particular the neo he had, anyway they set off and I had a break for 10 mins then went on myself. U should have seen their faces as a few miles down the track I caught up with them and left them for dead!,he tried to come after me on his rolls Royce bike but to no avail. I know his bike looks really nice and has better parts but id rather 4 powabykes like I got that than one of his.
Next time you see him, ask him how fast his Neo goes, and watch his face. Ask him if his spokes have come loose yet, then ask him whether he's needed a new battery yet, and does he know how much it costs. That should quieten him down a bit.

Reactions: danielrlee

Kevin williams

Pedelecer
Sep 16, 2014
The controller, battery and motor all need to match each other's capability. How fast your motor goes depends on the motor windings. You have to choose a motor winding speed that matches the speed you want and the power that your controller and battery will give it.

To answer your question: Your battery and controller are matched to each other, but they can't give any extra power to a more powerful motor. You'd probably get better hill-climbing if you used a low-speed BPM, but if you used a high-speed one, your controller and battery would be maxed out all the time, so the controller would overheat.
Thanks mate, thats cleared that up for me, understand it better now

Kevin williams

Pedelecer
Sep 16, 2014
Next time you see him, ask him how fast his Neo goes, and watch his face. Ask him if his spokes have come loose yet, then ask him whether he's needed a new battery yet, and does he know how much it costs. That should quieten him down a bit.
Yeah I cant wait to see what hes going to say, im sure his smug grin will have gone, he's probably pouting like a child,perhaps he'll have a new 1000w/72v to console himself

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
What do u think of the cyclamatic power plus? I know its a budget ebike but I can get one for £200 used half dozen times/ battery in tiptop condition(allegedly), better deal than the xbyke I mentioned earlier for £300?I can never make up my mind and when I think i have, another one appears on ebay/gumtree that looks good and im undecided again
I wouldn't say the Cyclamatic Power Plus is better then the Powabyke X Byke, it's only a 24 volt system against the X-byke's 36 volts, and won't perform at the speeds your X-byke seems to.

d8veh knows plenty about the Power Plus though, having owned and modified them.

Kevin williams

Pedelecer
Sep 16, 2014
I wouldn't say the Cyclamatic Power Plus is better then the Powabyke X Byke, it's only a 24 volt system against the X-byke's 36 volts, and won't perform at the speeds your X-byke seems to.

d8veh knows plenty about the Power Plus though, having owned and modified them.
Thanks flecc, i thought they were 24v but I saw one for sale that was 36v, guess he must have done that himself, better not get a 24v for the Mrs or she wont keep up!