new member needs assistance

Kevin williams

Pedelecer
Sep 16, 2014
I wouldn't say the Cyclamatic Power Plus is better then the Powabyke X Byke, it's only a 24 volt system against the X-byke's 36 volts, and won't perform at the speeds your X-byke seems to.

d8veh knows plenty about the Power Plus though, having owned and modified them.
Any idea why my byke goes so fast,? its not a great hill climber though like I read in reviews( although I have nothing to compare),although there are really steep hills around my house and maybe I was expecting too much, it does go up medium hills really well but steep ones it struggles and eats the battery.I did think it cuts out at 22mph but i can now see it doesnt cut out a all, it just hits its limit I guess cause if im freewheeling at 30 mph + downhill and engage the throttle i can hear it kicking in, my second xbike comes with a USA plug on the charger, maybe they are American spec controllers?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Thanks flecc, i thought they were 24v but I saw one for sale that was 36v, guess he must have done that himself, better not get a 24v for the Mrs or she wont keep up!
Yes, I understand they can accept 36 volts and that would increase the speed by 50%, so similar to your Powabyke's top speed. That one could be suitable for your wife. Your Powabyke has either been derestricted (most likely) or the previous owner has changed the motor to a higher revs one.

Best of luck for tomorrow morning, but that won't help will it. It's all matter of skill isn't it? ;) :D

Kevin williams

Pedelecer
Sep 16, 2014
Yes, I understand they can accept 36 volts and that would increase the speed by 50%, so similar to your Powabyke's top speed. That one could be suitable for your wife. Your Powabyke has either been derestricted (most likely) or the previous owner has changed the motor to a higher revs one.

Best of luck for tomorrow morning, but that won't help will it. It's all matter of skill isn't it? ;) :D
Thats true mate, its all skill , i dont think its been derestricted as I had it brand new from a mobility shop in Cardiff so I presume it left the factory like that?

Kevin williams

Pedelecer
Sep 16, 2014
Hi Kevin, I have followed this thread very carefully. There is one question that has not been ask so far regarding the twenty-two mph speed of your Powabyke X6.

how are you measuring the speed. GPS enabled device or wired/wireless bicycle computer?
Hi mate, im using a wireless computer, checked that its accurate, going through digital speed signs near the school by my house shows the correct speed every time, my 4.8 mile fishing run takes 11:30 / 12:30 mins with no/ minimal effort on my part, im very pleased with it exept for ths range of the battery( although I have another and its expected without restriction)and its loud under load. Anyone know if this is normal? I cant really hear it when its flat out cause of the wind but at low speeds/ uphill it growls and whines quite loud.

Kevin williams

Pedelecer
Sep 16, 2014
Im going to have to get a new battery for the xbyke. I have 2 of the 6ah( maybe 4.5)batteries but they only last 50/55 mins-15/18 miles between them, thats not far enough for me. If i bought a battery say off eBay could I add a connector the same as the xbyke cable has? So I could use my 2 batteries in the bottle position and then usecthe same cable to plug into the new battery on the rack/ pannier?

Not sure ive explained that right.

D

Deleted member 4366

The motor growling is a sign that it's running with high current. Maybe someone soldered the shunt in the controller, or it might just be a high power version.

You can fit any battery, but you need a decent one to provide the probable high current. One of these should do it:. Don't get one from somewhere else that looks the same unless you know it's capable of 20 amps plus.

http://www.bmsbattery.com/36v/683-bottle-ebike-battery.html

I think Woosh might have some of these too.

Kevin williams

Pedelecer
Sep 16, 2014
Ive found a 10ah/12ah on ebay for £134/149, just the battery with 2 wires coming off? Would that be easy to add the 3 pin xlr? How are they charged?

Kevin williams

Pedelecer
Sep 16, 2014
The motor growling is a sign that it's running with high current. Maybe someone soldered the shunt in the controller, or it might just be a high power version.

You can fit any battery, but you need a decent one to provide the probable high current. One of these should do it:. Don't get one from somewhere else that looks the same unless you know it's capable of 20 amps plus.

http://www.bmsbattery.com/36v/683-bottle-ebike-battery.html

I think Woosh might have some of these too.
Thanks for the link d8veh, would I be able to put that battery in my pannier and easily connect to the xbyke xlr connection?if so would I just charge it using same connection with my xbyke charger?what qbout the batteries u have?, would they work in the same set up? Sorry if my questions are stupid, i just need to get a decent battery without paying silly money for the powabyke ones

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 4366

Ive found a 10ah/12ah on ebay for £134/149, just the battery with 2 wires coming off? Would that be easy to add the 3 pin xlr? How are they charged?
Did you read what I wrote? How much current can that one give?

D

Deleted member 4366

Thanks for the link d8veh, would I be able to put that battery in my pannier and easily connect to the xbyke xlr connection?if so would I just charge it using same connection with my xbyke charger?
It would be better to change the connector, which requires soldering.

Is your present battery fixed to two standard bottle carrier screws?

D

Deleted member 4366

If he doesn't say what type of 18650s in the pack, they're probably crappy ones.

That BMSBattery one above mounts directly to the bottle holder fixings. Ive never heard of rocket launchers. If they're the standard ones, you just take off your old battery and screw in the new one, then join the wires with a connector.

Kevin williams

Pedelecer
Sep 16, 2014
If he doesn't say what type of 18650s in the pack, they're probably crappy ones.

That BMSBattery one above mounts directly to the bottle holder fixings. Ive never heard of rocket launchers. If they're the standard ones, you just take off your old battery and screw in the new one, then join the wires with a connector.
Thanks mate, not sure what u mean by " join wires with conecter?I want to keep the 3 pin xlr to use with my batteries and put a 3 pin Female on the new battery so I can instantly swap, not sure if im explaining it right, ill upload pics tomorrow to show exactly what I mean, thanks kev

Kevin williams

Pedelecer
Sep 16, 2014

No luck today! Caught nothing at all, first time since may, must be losing my touch. My neighbour came with me today for the first timeon a regular mtb, i explained that I had a e bike and that he wouldnt be able to keep up and that id meet him there but he said " ill keep up no worries". What a shock he had, he arrived 15 mins after me breathing like he was having an asthma attack!

Reactions: flecc

Kevin williams

Pedelecer
Sep 16, 2014
Thanks mate, not sure what u mean by " join wires with conecter?I want to keep the 3 pin xlr to use with my batteries and put a 3 pin Female on the new battery so I can instantly swap, not sure if im explaining it right, ill upload pics tomorrow to show exactly what I mean, thanks kev
Hi mate, sorry ive not been able to upload pics till tomorrow ive been flat out last few days, work, fishing etc, would the batteries u have be suitable for me? If i could add the correct connector? If so how much are they?, cheers kev

Kevin williams

Pedelecer
Sep 16, 2014
DSC_0022.JPG DSC_0022.JPG DSC_0025.JPG DSC_0019.JPG DSC_0023.JPG DSC_0021.JPG DSC_0022.JPG
DSC_0025.JPG DSC_0019.JPG DSC_0023.JPG DSC_0021.JPG hi mate, as u can see in the pics I need the new battery to terminate in the same plug as on the "rocket launcher " battery so I can connect the cable I got to it. It has 2 metal blocks for the battery to connect but underneath I think its just a standard 2 screw affair so I think the battery u linked me too should fit.I dont mind if the battery is a rack mount as I can just routd the cable to reach to the back rack.How would I go about connecting the right connector to it?my knowledge on this is zero. Would I need to open battery up and would that void the warranty?

D

Deleted member 4366

Check the distance between the two screws. If it's 65mm, it's a standard bottle fixing, so any bottle battery or that nice one I mentioned above will fit, but be aware that the cheaper bottle batteries can't give enough current. Get one with Samsung or Panasonic cells or one that says at least 20A max in its specification. If you're unsure, show it here.

Kevin williams

Pedelecer
Sep 16, 2014
Check the distance between the two screws. If it's 65mm, it's a standard bottle fixing, so any bottle battery or that nice one I mentioned above will fit, but be aware that the cheaper bottle batteries can't give enough current. Get one with Samsung or Panasonic cells or one that says at least 20A max in its specification. If you're unsure, show it here.
Cheers mate, it is 65mm from centre of both holes, does the battery from bms have the same connection?