New Super Light Tongxin Motor Design/Kit

jerrysimon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2009
Cambridge, UK
Re the picture on my Tongxin supply post showing a new kit I emailed them and they sent me a PDF brochure covering the kit and all the various motor and battery options.

The motor comes in various sizes as does the bottle battery. The kit includes an interesting variable power assist unit. I would almost say this could be the Cyntronex vapourware kit that has not shown up :p

Motor weights claim to start from around 1.4kg!

As with all Tongxin motors these are not power units but light e-assist. Perfect for lightweight setups which I am fond of.

Damn where can I host the PDF ?

Regards

Jerry

Last edited:

Kenny

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 13, 2007
West of Scotland
This looks like the kit my Scott Sportster has been waiting for. The motor looks tiny and the complete kit must be only about 4kg.
Will be watching this one with interest.

Scottyf

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 2, 2011
This does look very very good.
I do like the look how they have blended the colours to make it a nice matching colour scheme so everything blends very well.

I do like the Light assist, minimalist builds.
They wourk really well on Hybrid / road bikes that iron out the hills.

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
looks perfect for a folder...well spotted Jerry!

jerrysimon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2009
Cambridge, UK
looks perfect for a folder...well spotted Jerry!
Thanks. I have asked if it will be available in the smaller 80mm width.

Flecc I pmed you and Russ re hosting the file. I can host it myself but will need to wait till I get home and have access to my web file share username and password.

Regards

Jerry

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
what sort of prices are they for complete kits? I might stick one on our folder (Dahon)

jerrysimon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2009
Cambridge, UK
I am waiting for them to get back Eddie. They usually only sells things in 100s but will sometimes send a couple of samples if you can convince them you may be interested in a larger order later.

Regards

Jerry

kitchenman

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 9, 2010
Aberaeron, West Wales
Can we expect Cytronex bikes to come equipped with Li-ion batteries in future?

Indalo
Thats my understanding. I think Mark posted something which indicated that he would be providing Lithium as well as NI-MH batteries.

jerrysimon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2009
Cambridge, UK
Tony is kindly uploading the file now, so when it is ready here is the Brochure PDF link.

Regards

Jerry

Last edited:

jerrysimon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2009
Cambridge, UK
Thanks Tony. I have corrected my link also. It is certainly an interesting development and the various battery options make it more flexible in terms of carrying only the weight of battery required for distance.

Does anyone understand the two motor options listed side by side i.e. "Motor" listed on the left and then on the right "Drive and control unified motor" ?

My only concern is what they have done to reduce the weight. Maybe its a complete new design. If however they have saved weight by reducing material, then the exisiting motors already have to be treated with care and any further change may make these new ones very unreliable.

I suppose its all guess work, until we actually see/try a unit/kit

PS The motors listed on the right have lower weight specs ?

Regards

Jerry

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 4366

Thanks Tony. I have corrected my link also. It is certainly an interesting development and the various battery options make it more flexible in terms of carrying only the weight of battery required for distance.

Does anyone understand the two motor options listed side by side i.e. "Motor" listed on the left and then on the right "Drive and control unified motor" ?

My only concern is what they have done to reduce the weight. Maybe its a complete new design. If however they have saved weight by reducing material, then the exisiting motors already have to be treated with care and any further change may make these new ones very unreliable.

I suppose its all guess work, until we actually see/try a unit/kit

PS The motors listed on the right have lower weight specs ?

Regards

Jerry
It looks like the motor on the right has an internal controller of some sort. The circular PCB must be the bit that fits in the motor, but I don't see enough components on it to do everything - unless they're on the back-side. It's difficult to see from such a small photo.

jerrysimon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2009
Cambridge, UK
That makes sense Dave. Though I am not sure why the motors with that in them would be lighter ?

This really is the problem with looking at Chinese components from a distance and trying to interpret the translation of specs/details.

Regards

Jerry

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
nice little business opportunity for someone. if they can offer a motor/wheel build service even better...... Pick your kit, post the wheel and by return: motor fitted to your wheel + full kit.......

neptune

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2012
Boston lincs
@eddieo . You would most likely only need to send the rim . In fact you might decide you want a new rim while you are at it . So you could have a new wheel built to your specs .

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
@eddieo . You would most likely only need to send the rim . In fact you might decide you want a new rim while you are at it . So you could have a new wheel built to your specs .
yes most would want to keep original rim I guess.....I have with my kit, swapping it back is very easy

jerrysimon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2009
Cambridge, UK
I am not so sure this is a viable business opportunity unless a lot of preparation was done before hand. At a minimum you would want to go and visit the company in China, get samples and road test them thoroughly before launching a service to supply and fit them for joe public. My guess is that someone maybe already have started to do this and is in communication with the supplier. Maybe even Cytronex ? Just a guess.

Then there is all the hassle of arranging import of the kits in batches of hundreds, warranties etc.

Regards

Jerry