Overtaking on the inside or the outside

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
The thing about Australians (No offence at all intended) is that their version of english has a few variations that are potentially insulting...
For instance ..
Is your phone rooted? means has the operating system has been changed, but in Australian I think that the question could be considered insulting..

• :D
Reactions: LeighPing

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
One thing about the Aussies that bugs me is this upward inflection, where a statement is said like a question.
Due to Aussie soaps, a lot of people here do it now.
Yes, irritates me as well, it seems all of our youngsters have been infected with this habit.

Reactions: Croxden

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Sorry to one up on you:

white French kids from well off families dressing like US gangsta rappers and speaking like the are from the north of Marseille... :eek:

• Informative

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
There are so many different ways of speaking these days.. I often have to read SW's posts twice...
I use Google translate on his posts :p

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Does that actually work? I think it's a texting thing.. all these abbreviations are immediately understood by the younger generation. My grandkids tell my I am too old for to say lol...... lol... haha
It was a joke. He wasn't listening at school during English lessons + texting abbreviations = sore brain when reading most SW posts. I have two sons whose French is sub par and who get corrected by their kiwi dad... :eek:

Crockers

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 19, 2014
Coming back to motorists......

Makes a lot of sense to use a camera whilst riding in congested areas.

• Agree

Highside43

Pedelecer
Jul 26, 2016
Aberdovey
www.cubeengineering.co.uk
I believe in the UK, it's law to pass on the right / outside only on a pushbike when overtaking or filtering.

I could be wrong - a friend who is a driving school instructor told me, but I may not only have got hold of the wrong end of the stick, but the wrong stick altogether.

I'm sure someone will confirm or deny.

Last edited:

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
I believe in the UK, it's law to pass on the right / outside only on a pushbike when overtaking or filtering.

I could be wrong - a friend who is a driving school instructor told me, but I may not only have got hold off the wrong end of the stick, but the wrong stick altogether.

I'm sure someone will confirm or deny.
Cycle lanes are on the left which prompts one to pass on the left..

• Agree

Quarryjmiller

Pedelecer
Aug 18, 2015
Yep, need to do this on the outside (where safe).

However, if there is a painted cycle lane on the inside, and the traffic is not parked on it, I'll use that.

I've had very few issues with motorists overall. They are almost always very considerate. Other cyclists, on the other hand...

I've seen cyclists trying to go past vehicles on the inside even where the vehicle is moving and there is no room. I've also seen cyclists trying to out-drag cars from the traffic lights, cycling on the outside (and on the wrong side of the road) and getting agitated when they can't turn in... on a car!

And don't get me started on folk jumping or ignoring traffic lights...

Honestly, my view is that drivers have had to take lessons and pass their test. They show overall better awareness. A lot of cyclists would do well to take off their tinted specs, stop playing 'the persecuted' and get on with obeying traffic laws.
I was talking to an old acquaintance of mine last week, a very dedicated cyclist who told me that he had given up riding on the road, had sold his commuter and his road bike and now only rode off road and for pleasure because he had been knocked off his bike on five occasions by 'stupid motorists' since he changed jobs just over three years ago.

I didn't debate it with him but his accidents were with five different people, if I had been him I would have been considering what I had been doing wrong and riding a bit more defensively long before I got to five incidents. My definition of wrong is based on looking after myself - not the intricacies of the Highway Code by the way.

I am one of those riders who on many occasions rolls up to queuing traffic and sits in the queue rather than taking the risk of putting my safety in the hands of a group of people I have never met before and who are probably unaware that I am trying to squeeze past them.

There is a price to pay of course, sometimes 2 or 3 minutes are added to my journey time.

There are obnoxious drivers and obnoxious cyclists out there, there are also plain dopey drivers & cyclists as well, that's before we even get to the angry or distracted ones.

• Agree
Reactions: flecc