Petition to increase speed assist limit on E bikes

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
So if you'd had the same accident as your mate, you'd be looking at your feet left torn off on the bike?

i have a 8000lm light but most down hill racers use clipless peddles.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021

Glosguy19 MIN AGO
Police seem to have no interest from what I've seen! Recently at Longlevens School as pupils left at the end of the day. Police Officer there to check for dangerous parking I presume, which is good. However, a PRIVATE electric scooter with a "hoody" on board hurtles down the middle of the road in full view of the officer who must have seen him, but he did absolutely nothing
I shudder at the thought of what injuries an 88 year old might sustain in an accident, riding one of those deathtraps.

• Agree
Reactions: TedG and flecc

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
So if you'd had the same accident as your mate, you'd be looking at your feet left torn off on the bike?

i have a 8000lm light but most down hill racers use clipless peddles.

Do they get torn ligaments after a wipeout? Are they called wipeouts? I'm trying to sound cool and "With it".

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

you either like them or you dont, i have only fell over once as forgot had them on at a complete stop.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021

you either like them or you dont, i have only fell over once as forgot had them on at a complete stop.
As a road cyclist, I sometimes wish my feet would stay on pedals while going over potholes, but can't stand pedal clips - even when I had a racer... too tricky when stopping at intersections, and I hate the thought of being entangled with the bike in an accident: That's one way to lose a leg, depending on what runs over it while your leg stuck under the frame...

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
the main reason i use them is to help lift the bike off the ground so i can throw it around better on flat bumpy trails going 30mph down the canal.

it is just a sprig loaded clamp and will unclip in a crash or you feet will just come out the shoe anyway.

with spd ones you can adjust them but if its to tight you wont be able to unclip.

i think there are only 2-3 of us on here that use clipless

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
I used to use the toe-clip type on my old racer, but without the straps, so that I could slide my feet out sideways when stopping. That worked well for potholes. Might do that again, but so far those MKS pedals have been bearable.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

youngoldbloke

Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2018
South West
I used toeclips, straps and nail on cleats from around 1960 until the clip-in ('clip-less') system was generally available in the early 90's. Look Keo 3 bolt cleats in the summer and SPD 2 bolt in the winter. Systems of attaching shoes to pedals have been around since the earliest days of cycling. No big deal.

Last edited:

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
I used toeclips, straps and nail on cleats from around 1960 until the clip-in ('clip-less') system was generally available in the early 90's. Look Keo 3 bolt cleats in the summer and SPD 2 bolt in the winter. Systems of attaching shoes to pedals have been around since the earliest days of cycling. No big deal.
I used then standard strapped toe clips for a short time many years ago, but never really got on with them. Now been using half-clips ever since. Enough to keep toes on pedals over all but the worst potholes, and make it easy to raise the right pedal ready for starting. Not enough to apply power on the upward stroke (which doesn't seem that worthwhile anyway), but fine for some power on the forward stroke. Absolutely no issues with releasing the foot from the pedal when needed.

Reactions: guerney

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
I used then standard strapped toe clips for a short time many years ago, but never really got on with them. Now been using half-clips ever since. Enough to keep toes on pedals over all but the worst potholes, and make it easy to raise the right pedal ready for starting. Not enough to apply power on the upward stroke (which doesn't seem that worthwhile anyway), but fine for some power on the forward stroke. Absolutely no issues with releasing the foot from the pedal when needed.
Thanks, those do look sensible - I may indeed try a pair of half-clips! I'd have to see if the bike still folds with them on... but if not I'll still be able to use them on non-folding journeys, which are many.

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
They are slightly fiddly to attach and detach from pedals so I wouldn't want to do so regularly.

I'd like a design so they could slide forwards/backwards on the pedal with just a single bolt to tighten. That would make them easier to take right off as well, and leave them size adjustable for different people or for riding in wellie boots, etc. And leave the reflectors in place on the pedals.

Also, if pedals have a front lip some half clips won't attach. The Zefal ones you mention above won't work with the pedals on our tandem.

Last edited:

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
They are slightly fiddly to attach and detach from pedals so I wouldn't want to do so regularly.

I'd like a design so they could slide forwards/backwards on the pedal with just a single bolt to tighten. That would make them easier to take right off as well, and leave them size adjustable for different people or for riding in wellie boots, etc. And leave the reflectors in place on the pedals.
For ebikes, small ball bearings embedded into soles and electromagnets inside the pedals? If too strong, pedelecs would stick to traffic :oops:

Last edited:

UrbanPuma

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 11, 2007
I think the speed is safer as it is. I'd petition to bring back full throttles on e-bikes though, so that cycling can be more inclusive to people who can't pedal all the time.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I think the speed is safer as it is. I'd petition to bring back full throttles on e-bikes though, so that cycling can be more inclusive to people who can't pedal all the time.
- so an electric moped?
If those who first thought of adding an assist motor to a bicycle had known the scale of the can of worms they were opening, I'm sure they'd have instantly dropped the idea!

Reactions: TedG

UrbanPuma

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 11, 2007
- so an electric moped?
No, an ebike with pedal assist - same as it was before the law change. The ability to get some exercise, even if just a little or at intervals, would be beneficial to overall wellbeing, mobility and a sense of inclusion. A moped wouldn't provide any exercise.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
to get the max power from my motor i must spin the cranks at 120rpm so the faster i go the less assistance i get from the motor and at around 30mph it is all me after that so you get a work out all right lol.

i can only remove the speed limit on my bike but my m8s bike with a 750w bafang goes like a rocket when the peddles are moved as set it up like that and can gap me 25m b4 i can get up to speed.

and i seen one of the go cycles today with a guy with a giant box on his back with a Deliveroo sticker on it i think he got the wrong bike unless he delivers bags of ice o_O

youngoldbloke

Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2018
South West
No, an ebike with pedal assist - same as it was before the law change. The ability to get some exercise, even if just a little or at intervals, would be beneficial to overall wellbeing, mobility and a sense of inclusion. A moped wouldn't provide any exercise.
I can see your throttle hand getting some more exercise, but for some the temptation must be to use the pedals less and the throttle more. But if you need it why not?