Prices of the electricity we use to charge

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
20mph certainly has it's place, but the blanket application we have here in Wales is a totally confusing mess. We have been told that if you see street lights assume 20mph unless there are signs to the contrary. Fair enough in the city.
Here, in rural village land, we have the spectacle of 30 signs followed by newly installed 20 signs followed by prexisting 30 repeater signs. All in areas where street lamps are, at best, intermittant and in no way regular. There are also areas where the 30 signs are all fully in place (inc repeaters) yet the led flashing signs are indicating 20. There are areas with regular street lamps still fully signed as 30.
Many 20 signs have either been painted over or even cut down altogether.
Of course it's there to save life and reduce injury despite this being in areas where you could wait all day and not see a pedestrian.
Confusion reigns supreme and all utterances from the senedd only serve to make it worse. Ridicule is rife.

• Informative
Reactions: Woosh and flecc

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs
20mph certainly has it's place, but the blanket application we have here in Wales is a totally confusing mess. We have been told that if you see street lights assume 20mph unless there are signs to the contrary. Fair enough in the city.
Here, in rural village land, we have the spectacle of 30 signs followed by newly installed 20 signs followed by prexisting 30 repeater signs. All in areas where street lamps are, at best, intermittant and in no way regular. There are also areas where the 30 signs are all fully in place (inc repeaters) yet the led flashing signs are indicating 20. There are areas with regular street lamps still fully signed as 30.
Many 20 signs have either been painted over or even cut down altogether.
Of course it's there to save life and reduce injury despite this being in areas where you could wait all day and not see a pedestrian.
Confusion reigns supreme and all utterances from the senedd only serve to make it worse. Ridicule is rife.
I hate to say it, but you are becoming more English each year.

• :D
Reactions: Woosh and flecc

PC2017

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2017
Scunthorpe
We have, as others do, a 20 mph school zone on a long(300m) stretch near a sketchy area of town, parked with high-end cars contrasted with half burnt bangers every so yards. I travel this road to reach the discount shops, it is the best route to cross town as it has recently been resurfaced. It has the normal UK traffic calming measures; parked cars either side and bollards/chicanes to slow cars down.

People speed down there, dare I say over 35 mph, with (adult) pedestrians running across the road (mostly) for their daily fix in and out or parked cars. Luckily at school time the traffic density slows most to a crawl.

Isn't it time we looked at the Netherlands [road/cycle/pedestrian separation] even just for the slightly raised junctions and mid road raisers instead of full on speed bumps, these have been proven to encourage drivers subconsciously to slow for every junction and slow down in general. Imo 20 mph is not going to slow those who do not wish to.

Not Just Bikes - watch for the humour if nothing else.

MikelBikel

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 6, 2017
Ireland
Windmill company demands extra 70% subsidy to continue.. coz its so "sustainable"! :)
I like the quote in the comments:
"Only the most incompetent Gov could transform an island made of coal and surrounded by fish, into one with industries in neither" (paraphrased from Aneurin Bevan)

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
my bill this month is £110.79 edf

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
My last duel fuel bill was £60 and some pennies.

Saracen

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 24, 2023
Since we all use electricity to charge our e-bikes, I thought I'd post this here as well:

Something very close to home, FUEL PRICES.

For those of you what dont yet know the new prices from April 1st, I've received mine:

I'm electricity only and my current month bill for this 20th January to 20th February is £196.19 including VAT.

Exactly the same bill after the 1st April increase will be £306.87 including VAT.

That's up 56.41%.

I'm one of the fortunate few who won't be bothered in any way by this, but I'm well aware that these sort of costs will be disastrous for many. I can foresee many elderly and vulnerable people dying of hypothermia next winter if the government doesn't do something far more drastic than their present inadequate relief plans.

I do NOT use a bike to save money on petrol, I use a bike for fun, BUT... since converting my bikes to E bikes I am rarely not out weekly, going up to 80 miles, and it saves me a fortune in what would have been a car day out

Reactions: joelectric

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
" there is the issue of EU tariffs that are standing in the way of European car makers exporting their goods to the UK, making the vehicles vastly more expensive. "

Tenfold electric vehicles on 2030 roads could be a shock to the system
Robust policies for renewables needed to increase energy mix to nearly 50%

Reactions: Woosh

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021

PC2017

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2017
Scunthorpe
Uranium Demand
I am sure if we all go we might just get a half price cup of Uranium from Mr Putin with collective bargaining. or we could arrange a bus trip and head cross West African Plains to dig some up in Niger, we might see some French picking scraps up form the desert floor

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
I am sure if we all go we might just get a half price cup of Uranium from Mr Putin with collective bargaining
Even with aggressive leverage exerted on Putin's dream of becoming Tsar of the world, I fear Uranium will be too rich for my blood. I might afford solar?

Community-led initiative returns with group-buying solar power for Bedford Borough residents

PC2017

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2017
Scunthorpe
Uranium will be too rich for my blood. I might afford solar?
Oh I assumed, by now you would of extracted several grams of americium-241 from 1970's smoke detectors and aliexpress-ed a self build DIY reactor by now. :p

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Can solar and wind power Britain? An update of David MacKay’s numbers
These technologies have developed a lot since 2008. Should we be any more optimistic about their potential to power Britain?

Reactions: Woosh

MikelBikel

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 6, 2017
Ireland
Interesting economic analysis of renewables vs traditional re electricity prices from a PhD economist, from 10:00 at Myth no.3.
Does US really have 7, 8, 9c/kwh juice, or is that wholesale? Eh, if only! :)

Peter.Bridge

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 19, 2023
Interesting economic analysis of renewables vs traditional re electricity prices from a PhD economist, from 10:00 at Myth no.3.
Does US really have 7, 8, 9c/kwh juice, or is that wholesale? Eh, if only! :)

He just seems to parrot contrarian talking points that have been answered a million times
  1. “Climate activists, including President Obama, now erroneously call carbon dioxide (CO2) a “pollutant,” akin to poisons like lead and mercury. […] Greenhouses routinely set carbon dioxide levels at 1,000-1,500 ppm to boost photosynthesis and grow crops faster. A better term for carbon dioxide is ‘plant food.’ ” (See SkepticalScience here and here)
  2. “Recent changes in temperature, CO2 concentration and sea level are very small on a geological time scale.” (See SkepticalScience)
  3. “Computer models that generate apocalyptic warming scenarios still can’t make any correct predictions.” (See SkepticalScience)
  4. “90 percent of the greenhouse effect that keeps the Earth livable comes from water vapor, mainly in the form of clouds. Although carbon dioxide does have a warming impact, observations suggest that doubling CO2 concentrations would raise temperatures only 1-2 degrees Fahrenheit.” (See SkepticalScience)
  5. “The U.S. Energy Information Administration projects global carbon dioxide emissions of about 370 billion metric tons between now and 2025. President Obama’s climate program (characterized as “bold” and “ambitious” by some media outlets) would reduce those emissions by less than 2 percent. […] our politicians try to placate climate activists with expensive subsidies, burdensome regulations and vague promises — an “all pain, no gain” policy.” (See SkepticalScience here and here)

Last edited:

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford

He just seems to parrot contrarian talking points that have been answered a million times
  1. “Climate activists, including President Obama, now erroneously call carbon dioxide (CO2) a “pollutant,” akin to poisons like lead and mercury. […] Greenhouses routinely set carbon dioxide levels at 1,000-1,500 ppm to boost photosynthesis and grow crops faster. A better term for carbon dioxide is ‘plant food.’ ” (See SkepticalScience here and here)
  2. “Recent changes in temperature, CO2 concentration and sea level are very small on a geological time scale.” (See SkepticalScience)
  3. “Computer models that generate apocalyptic warming scenarios still can’t make any correct predictions.” (See SkepticalScience)
  4. “90 percent of the greenhouse effect that keeps the Earth livable comes from water vapor, mainly in the form of clouds. Although carbon dioxide does have a warming impact, observations suggest that doubling CO2 concentrations would raise temperatures only 1-2 degrees Fahrenheit.” (See SkepticalScience)
  5. “The U.S. Energy Information Administration projects global carbon dioxide emissions of about 370 billion metric tons between now and 2025. President Obama’s climate program (characterized as “bold” and “ambitious” by some media outlets) would reduce those emissions by less than 2 percent. […] our politicians try to placate climate activists with expensive subsidies, burdensome regulations and vague promises — an “all pain, no gain” policy.” (See SkepticalScience here and here)
You have to understand that there's virtually no money to be made by going against the climate change narrative. It's often career suicide. On the other hand, if you promote the agenda, your work gets promoted. It's the same with the doctors, who speak against the vaccine. Some of them even had their licences revoked for it. You have to ask yourself why these guys would want to commit career suicide? What are they going to achieve from it?

Another interesting point is why these guys are never invited onto the BBC to have a fair debate about these matters so that people can make up their own minds.

Incidentally, did you see Andrew Bridgen's last speech in Parliament. It's the first time I've ever seen the BBC put captions saying contrary things on just about every point he made. La5er on, they were forced to make an apology, but they had already achieved their misinformation goal.

Last edited:

MikelBikel

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 6, 2017
Ireland
"Skeptical Science is a climate science blog and information resource created in 2007 by Australian blogger and cognitive scientist John Cook..funded by 'donations'". "Adviser to Facebook", need one say more?
Who is John Cook?
Oh dear. :-(

"My old geology books frequently mention how the Earth’s climate has changed over 4.5 billion years either warming or cooling!!! My personal view is that it is caused by that huge fusion generator in the sky, although here in the UK we don’t tend to see too much of it but when we do, it’s glorious!!!"
(Random YT comment that's more accurate than JC!)