Putting e-bike to bed for the duration of C-virus.

oriteroom

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 13, 2008
But the government say cycling is ok and cyclists have very large numbers of road accidents needing hospitalisation. In fact being so vulnerable, they are far more likely to need hospitalisation than car occupants in an accident.

This alone shows how irrational the rules are if rigidly interpreted.
Sorry if this has been said already in this thread.

Been out exercise cycling on three days this week and would make the following observations....

1. Certainly around Bournemouth it considerably safer to cycle on roads since Monday, much less traffic and more cyclists around. Not unlike the 1960s EXCEPT what cars are about are zippier than the old ‘crocks‘ of that era (lovely A35s, Morris Minors etc.).

2. The problem with quieter roads is that certain drivers see this as an opportinity to speed, and a higher percentage of boy racers and Freytags about (Freytag - see Clint Eastwood in Eiger Sanction “Freytag you a......“ echoing around the valleys).

3. Everybody we‘ve meet, be it cyclists or walkers keep their distance and are courteous, polite and friendly.

3. My wife and I believe our risk of hospitalisation, either from accident or illness is lower by cycling at the present time.

As an aside.....
Pictures of Bournemouth Promenade on Sunday in the National press with walkers and cyclists milling about shows just how inane and stupid some people can be, which is why the heavy hand is required. “Follow the advice or you will be made to.“ Take one look at the people about and then avoid. In any case, even without the virus, who in their right mind would go down there on a cycle ride on a sunny Mothering Sunday. Doh!

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Sorry if this has been said already in this thread.

Been out exercise cycling on three days this week and would make the following observations....

1. Certainly around Bournemouth it considerably safer to cycle on roads since Monday, much less traffic and more cyclists around. Not unlike the 1960s EXCEPT what cars are about are zippier than the old ‘crocks‘ of that era (lovely A35s, Morris Minors etc.).

2. The problem with quieter roads is that certain drivers see this as an opportinity to speed, and a higher percentage of boy racers and Freytags about (Freytag - see Clint Eastwood in Eiger Sanction “Freytag you a......“ echoing around the valleys).

3. Everybody we‘ve meet, be it cyclists or walkers keep their distance and are courteous, polite and friendly.

3. My wife and I believe our risk of hospitalisation, either from accident or illness is lower by cycling at the present time.

As an aside.....
Pictures of Bournemouth Promenade on Sunday in the National press with walkers and cyclists milling about shows just how inane and stupid some people can be, which is why the heavy hand is required. “Follow the advice or you will be made to.“ Take one look at the people about and then avoid. In any case, even without the virus, who in their right mind would go down there on a cycle ride on a sunny Mothering Sunday. Doh!
Agreed on all points and it's the same here except for some still not keeping their distance, sometimes even not able to, hence my driving short distances to safer areas to walk for exercise. I'm determined to avoid any risk of contact so will continue to ignore any unsafe advice, risking me and others.

RoadieRoger

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2010
Well I have been out riding in the local Country Park here in S.Wales and Cars are now banned inside it . Only Cyclists and Walkers now and it is very nice . I feel for the good people of London who might have to contend with the likes of PC 601 , yes he of the chalk lines who fined a Bakery Shop Owner £80 for marking out 2 metre lines for Customers and vandalising the pavement in effect .

smifee

Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2017
Chandler's Ford
I've been having a great laugh reading this. It's helping to make my 3 month isolation bearable.

In my 30 years as a policeman I found that my common sense approach worked wonders. Most people just needed a bit of common sense advice. If that failed I used the powers necessary.

I see in this thread certain posters who think everything is black or white. It isn't but they will never see it. They will keep trotting out 'but it says'.

I also see posters with the same common sense that I apply to life.

We had a saying about the 'but it says' people:- 'He/she could start a fight in a phone box."

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
what we need is a good purge give everyone a machine gun and 5000 rounds of ammo and let rip for 24hrs :p

• :D
Reactions: ebiker99

Wicky

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2014
Colchester, Essex
www.jhepburn.co.uk
UK cyclists warned to follow guidelines or 'lose privilege'
Cyclists in the UK have been warned not to continue riding in groups this weekend - or face having the right to get on their bikes taken away from them.

Pictures showed people across parts of the UK, including many cyclists, visiting parks and open spaces in large numbers last weekend.

"People on bikes were not the only culprits in last weekend's mass dash to the outdoors but, despite strong guidance from ourselves and others, too many chose to ignore the prime minister's instructions on social distancing, continuing to ride in groups and meet in cafes for a mid-ride chat," says British Cycling chief executive Julie Harrington.

"This isn't just irresponsible, it is putting people's lives at risk.

"A repeat of that this weekend risks further Government measures to take away the privilege of riding a bike for all of us and now more than ever, it is not one we can afford to lose."

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
so you got 30 kids on bikes and when plod shows up they all fly off in 30 different directions pmsl :p

yeah like thats going to work what they going to do shoot them all from the plod chopper with a 50 cal rifle.

hell fire missiles would be a better option;)

Wicky

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2014
Colchester, Essex
www.jhepburn.co.uk
Simple way to bypass restrictions and freak police and supermarket shoppers out would be get an old army surplus 'Noddy' NBC suit and respirator and wander about.

It use to be easy when I was younger to buy tatty used kit from an army surplus store Jacks and as I lived in a garrison town the army quarter master used to exchange it for brand new kit.

Later on with the tail end of the cold war while doing Duke of Edinburgh award rather than protest against the bomb I pragmatically joined the Royal Observer Corp and served at a local Secret HQ Bunker with 6 months supplies. We had very smart RAF uniforms and if things had got hot we were to be issued guns to keep the riff-raff out!

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
DSC_0637.JPG
;)

• :D
Reactions: ebiker99

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
now what does a halo suit look like if plod had those ppl whoud really **** them self ;)

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
did you ask google?

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I only deal with science and facts.
and I thought scientists could never believe that they are always right.
as Smifee said, you could start a fight in a phone box.

Andy McNish

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 28, 2018
I did go out for a last (3 hour) ride into the peaks (all off-road from my house) last weekend on my ebike.
This week I have been out on my old (non-electric) mountain bike most days but am going out early in the morning and avoiding the more obvious walker and dog-walker routes.
The longest was a 90 minute ride yesterday morning (from about 7.30am) into the Tame Valley and back and I'd say more than half the people I came across (and there weren't many) were over 70.

I avoid any shops unless I am the only customer in them (so I use a small corner shop and a local bakery mostly - popping in on my way back from my cycle).

I do have a big garden and a cross-trainer in the garage if needed so I supose I can just turtle up if the lockdown gets stricter.

One point on the 2m though - that is for people who are stationary - if you are doing 15mph and zoom through droplets left by someone who has sneezed/coughed etc. ahead of you there is no magic is them being more than 2m metres away at the time of the sneeze or cough...