Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Scooters are strictly road use only.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Heard this on radio and the news after.. and its beginning in Middlesbrough

Anyone with a full or a provisional license is legal .
The radio/media are equally as bad as the rag/media at not getting the true facts before reporting, again the 15.5mph limit is fake news and you are as bad as the press by not doing your homework.

Gov't have stated 12.5mph is the limit. https://www.gov.uk/government/consultations/legalising-rental-e-scooter-trials-defining-e-scooters-and-rules-for-their-use/legalising-rental-e-scooter-trials.

• Disagree
Reactions: budsy

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
I think they have left all this far too late

There are loads of them around now - so if they want to legalise them with specific restrictions - e.g. max speed 15.5 mph - then there will already be a load of them on the road/pavement/whatever that do not comply with the new regs

If they had looked at them and legalised them much sooner they could have set things up so most that were sold were within regs.
Although - as we know - people would still modify them - but now there will be no way to tell if a scooter is legal or not - unless it is wizzing up a hill at 30!!
Only certain city's will be trialling them so every where else they will be easily identified as illegal.

• Dislike
Reactions: budsy

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
Only certain city's will be trialling them so every where else they will be easily identified as illegal.
and no action taken just like now.

PP100

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2020
I’m a little confused. So, I can hire an e scooter and do the maximum speed as allowed for e bikes but whilst I don’t have to pedal a scooter, I will still have to pedal my bike? Have I got tbis right?
But these scooters under the trial, require insurance and a license by law while E Bikes do not.

Riders will need a full or provisional car, motorcycle or moped licence to use the vehicles, and they must be aged 16 or over.
Do you want the Legal allowing of non pedalling throttle E Bike riding, in return
for the above requirement?

During trials, however, e-scooters will continue to be classed as motor vehicles, meaning requirements to have insurance and the correct type of driving licence will continue to apply. In the future, following trials, we may look to amend the law to treat e-scooters more like EAPCs, which are not treated as ‘motor vehicles’ in law.

Last edited:

PP100

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2020
Good luck with that in London, where they were already easily identified as illegal but that didn't seem to stop them.
Though I did once see a copper giving a gentle talking to a very young kid who obviously had a scooter he shouldn't have had.
They should crack down and confiscate the under 16s for a start. Get Mummy or Daddy to pay the fine as well.

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
I have not seen any mention of lights. Can't help thinking they are rather more important than whether they have two or three wheels. Quite obviously, lighting cannot be identical to bicycle lights. (A pair of rear wheels seems a very reasonable approach to designing an e-scooter.)

PP100

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2020

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
The radio/media are equally as bad as the rag/media at not getting the true facts before reporting, again the 15.5mph limit is fake news and you are as bad as the press by not doing your homework.

Gov't have stated 12.5mph is the limit. https://www.gov.uk/government/consultations/legalising-rental-e-scooter-trials-defining-e-scooters-and-rules-for-their-use/legalising-rental-e-scooter-trials.
Not fake news Neale, it's the government geting in a twist again,

On the same day as your link, 30/6/20 they published this for the rental operators on the trial:

" 3.1 Vehicle design: current position

An e-scooter will continue to fall within the statutory definition of a motor vehicle. We will define the sub-category of an e-scooter as being a motor vehicle that:

• is fitted with an electric motor with a power limit of 500W
  • has 2 wheels, 1 front and 1 rear, aligned along the direction of travel
  • is designed to carry one person in a standing position with no provision for seating
  • has a maximum weight of 55kg
  • has a maximum design speed of 15.5mph
On this link.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

What's the Bird Scooter cost London?
Bird have confirmed that the cost for a Bird scooter in London will be set at 25p per minute with a £1 charge to start the ride. For up to date pricing information, visit the Bird app and find your nearest ride.

f.u.c.k that o_O

Michael Price

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2018
and how long do we have to wait before the first e-scooter being used on a pavement injurers a pedestrian

because - good luck riding you escooter along a road with even minor potholes - so clearly you will just use the pavement

I just hope it doesn't result in a backlash against all e-thingies - like ebikes

• Agree
Reactions: oyster

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

mute the music, pmsl ;)

• :D
Reactions: flecc

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

and look what you can get for ebike money the first one is double the waight of my bike wtf.

Craiggor 2

Pedelecer
May 30, 2018
Slap on a bird sticker on your privately owned scooter how's anyone going to know. Any info on how to become a hire company or are only american company's allowed in on the action.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

:p